Personality Cafe banner

4001 - 4020 of 4286 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What book changed the way you viewed the world the most?
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Prince - Machiavelli
The Book of 5 Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

They didn't necessarily change the way I viewed the world, but they perfected the way I viewed it. I really like how they see the world for what it is, instead of what it should be.

Also: this is post no. 4000 :D

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
ESTPs and ESTJs can mistype as ENTJs too.
He sounds like an ESTJ (3w4) with strong tertiary Ne; depending on the type of MBTI test he took and how the S/N questions were worded (usually rather poorly), it's not inconceivable for him to possibly mistype as an ENTJ.

1.) ESTJs are more defined by a grounded pragmatism, in part, because they have a stronger drive towards security and risk aversion (Si influence)--they will more readily do the most practical thing, despite whether they idealistically want to or not. That's where that Si duty/responsability shit comes into play.

2.) If ENTJs have an inner (ISFP) artist, ESTJs have an inner (INFP) philosopher--more pronounced tertiary Ne predisposes them to a curiosity concerning "cosmic interconnectedness," "What if?" the meaning of life, universal mechanics, etc...; it also opens them up to further engaging the Ne possibilities concerning their careers and future. Therefore, it's not surprising that he's job hopped a bit, even indulging in philosophy, which on its face, seems uncharacteristic of the (stereo)typically focused, "type A" ESTJ.

3.) Pronounced tertiary Ne can also inundate ESTJs with a shitload of dire potential forecasts that can result in a nihilistic outlook. Also, if he is an Enneagram 3w4, they can be icy, aloof, prone to a stone faced melancholy, but still focused on professionalism, achievement and material things.

And in case he is, in fact, an ENTJ, here are two of my favorite ENTJ related facts I like to shove in folk's faces, according to the MBTI Manual III :

1.) Academic subjects preferred: English and Science
2.) Overrepresented among behavioral psychologists.

I have an affinity for all of the above but these tidbits are rarely "centered" or even mentioned in the most popular prevailing narratives. Theoretically, there are millions of ENTJs--there's bound to be at least 1 or 2 odd blokes that break the rank and file. ;) Regardless, an ENTJ Professor/Engineer/Judge/Neurosurgeon/Politician/Actor should have a propensity for decisiveness, high rationale/logic, directing, conceptualizing, information synthesis, problem deconstruction, "system"/structure optimization, error correction, overall strategy and goal setting/implementation. BOOM. That's it. That's the essential core of the ENTJ.

The MBTI II incorporates a dichotimized preference clarity index that proves intra-type diversity is a thing. Of course there are general trends/average ranges for where a particular type customarily falls but outliers exist. One ENTJ prefers to be pressure prompted, another starts early; One is more expressive, the other is deadpan and contained; one is high energy, the other low energy; one is more verbally fluid, the other terse and economical and so forth. There are a plethora of variables that tint and stylize the ways in which one's type manifests. One must not lose sight of this.

Lastly, the leadership thing is nuanced and it doesn't necessarily have to be actively "liked" in so much as it is readily/organically assumed--overall Te doms may not be the most socially extroverted in the traditional sense; there are those (like myself) who like to work alone when they can (others slow me down/can't duplicate my energy/possess other limitations) but have no problem with naturally and effectively commandeering the ship when it's go time/necessary. Push come to shove, being in-charge > being an insubordinate. The quality of the team and the level of familiarity can also make a difference. But it's quite the conundrum when you want to both call the shots and at the same time, not be bothered. lol
Met him again yesterday, still unsure, but I strongly doubt he is a sensor.

Dude references the metaphysical all the time, high focus on objectivity, swims in abstract concepts and needs a partner that can keep up with him on a philosophical level. Often dismisses emotional responses using the metaphysical. He shows a habit of consciously or unconsciously suppressing Se (ignoring sleep deprivation and cold for the sake of meeting up, constantly insisting he's OK even if suffering visibly afterwards) and using the metaphysical to supplant the emotional (the self is an epistemological illusion, free will doesn't exist). Not particularly expressive, but not a stone wall like every INTJ male I've met either. Somehow I'm more proactive conversationally and he seems to prefer being pursued to pursuing, being dominated to dominating. Very strict on health matters and personal ethos: no alcohol, coffee or any drugs. No kids, got a vasectomy already and he's just 26. Seems to enjoy things vicariously through others even if he otherwise wouldn't enjoy them. He doesn't seem to have the standard male aversion to discussing emotion, and seems to reject traditional gender stereotypes and conditioning.

Confusing A.F. Had to send him home because he was feeling awful from exhaustion and refused coffee. Thought he was just checking out of the date early but he extended the goodbye hug for nearly a minute...he admitted he was comfy when asked.

...he seems to have reconsidered the coffee thing upon being presented with documented evidence that there are health benefits to its consumption.

Suspecting Fi use of some sort but the vicarious enjoyment bit throws me off.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Dude references the metaphysical all the time, high focus on objectivity, swims in abstract concepts and needs a partner that can keep up with him on a philosophical level. Often dismisses emotional responses using the metaphysical. He shows a habit of consciously or unconsciously suppressing Se (ignoring sleep deprivation and cold for the sake of meeting up, constantly insisting he's OK even if suffering visibly afterwards) and using the metaphysical to supplant the emotional (the self is an epistemological illusion, free will doesn't exist). Not particularly expressive, but not a stone wall like every INTJ male I've met either. Somehow I'm more proactive conversationally and he seems to prefer being pursued to pursuing, being dominated to dominating. Very strict on health matters and personal ethos: no alcohol, coffee or any drugs. No kids, got a vasectomy already and he's just 26. Seems to enjoy things vicariously through others even if he otherwise wouldn't enjoy them. He doesn't seem to have the standard male aversion to discussing emotion, and seems to reject traditional gender stereotypes and conditioning.

Confusing A.F. Had to send him home because he was feeling awful from exhaustion and refused coffee. Thought he was just checking out of the date early but he extended the goodbye hug for nearly a minute...he admitted he was comfy when asked.

...he seems to have reconsidered the coffee thing upon being presented with documented evidence that there are health benefits to its consumption.

Suspecting Fi use of some sort but the vicarious enjoyment bit throws me off.
The two bolded statements appear to conflict. Can you expand on them?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
The two bolded statements appear to conflict. Can you expand on them?
They don't if you think of them as big picture vs small picture. Apparently because his mother was open and emotionally expressive towards him, he isn't uncomfortable delving into that realm of conversation i.e. relationships, childhood, wants and needs, which is rather refreshing. But on a larger scale his objective self chimes in and he comes back to the fact the "self" isn't real as a way to ward off the existential angst from nihilism. Or if he finds himself becoming too attached to a perspective or outcome.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you ever think you are stupid/not smart enough? For something specific or in general.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What motivation would an ENTJ have to study philosophy at university instead of a more practical career path?
As a primary endeavor, none.

As something supplemental there is a large gain. We’re Ns not Ses. We know that wealth comes from ideas not skills. You have to have skills but it’s the method of implementation that creates wealth and makes you more than a drone in the world.

I personally study economics and marketing as two bachelors degrees. But I’m also working on a political and legal theory minor that works in moral philosophy.

The actuarial science and data analysis I’ve learned from my two bachelors have made me capable of work. My understanding of moral philosophy makes me excel at work.

So. The entj you know that’s majoring in philosophy is one of 3 things.
1.Already has good skills like the ability to code without school
2. Is simply dumb
3. Has rich parents and can spend life following non productive endeavors.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What book changed the way you viewed the world the most?
Cowen and tabbarok: principles of microeconomics

Good profit: Charles g. Koch

Laws Order: David Friedman

Bastiat: the law

Atlas shrugged: Ayn Rand (not so much for the philosophy but I just have a hard-on for industrialism and the book puts me in my happy place)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Do you ever think you are stupid/not smart enough? For something specific or in general.
Never in general.

I’ve began to feel the equivalent of “white guilt” as “smart guilt” lately. I’ve come to realize just how much of this stuff is innate and to what extent I’m someone else’s boss just because I was born smart. It’s not even environmental stuff. I grew up in a depressed area and my older sisters lived the first few years of their life in a mobile home. You can be born anywhere and be either dumb or smart. You can only train your mind so much. Managing hundreds of workers 2 and 3 times my age this summer made me feel guilty that I get to sit in a air conditioned office exerting very little physical effort yet contributing to the production of hundreads or millions in revenue because I have critical thinking skills while they all bust their backs in the heat with manual labor.

Entjs are perfectionist, moving into a setting like a selective university that only very good students can get into tends to tilt your view. You begin having an increasing number of peers that are better at any given number of things in life, academic, athletic, social, or whatever. But you just take the time to learn as much as you can from them and rise in ability as a group relative to the general population.

As for areas I personally struggle with,
I sometimes feel unattractive until I realize my girlfriends hotter than anything they’ve had long term.

I sometimes feel poor until I realize my career prospects are as good or better.

I sometimes feel bad at math but realize that it’s a blessing that I can figure things out with deductive reasoning and graphical representation rather than computation.

I guess that’s about it though. We do generally look more into ourselves rather than at others and generally if we have a problem with our self it doesn’t last long because with that being in our court we fix it.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
There are fields that aren't my expertise and there are theories that are beyond me. An example would be solving P versus NP. Not a chance in hades that I could solve this and I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’ve come to realize just how much of this stuff is innate and to what extent I’m someone else’s boss just because I was born smart. It’s not even environmental stuff. I grew up in a depressed area and my older sisters lived the first few years of their life in a mobile home. You can be born anywhere and be either dumb or smart. You can only train your mind so much. Managing hundreds of workers 2 and 3 times my age this summer made me feel guilty that I get to sit in a air conditioned office exerting very little physical effort yet contributing to the production of hundreads or millions in revenue because I have critical thinking skills while they all bust their backs in the heat with manual labor.

Entjs are perfectionist, moving into a setting like a selective university that only very good students can get into tends to tilt your view. You begin having an increasing number of peers that are better at any given number of things in life, academic, athletic, social, or whatever. But you just take the time to learn as much as you can from them and rise in ability as a group relative to the general population.
If someone is smart, then they can probably master any topics they want to. For smart individuals it is a matter of choice. It seems that character is also important, maybe more then innate "smartness", depending on what you want from life.

If you absolutely never ever want to be told what to do by someone you consider to be below you (intellectually), then this will define your career, not math. But for someone who likes math and wants to do it and enjoys doing it, math will come first, so this person won't care who will tell them what to do, and there is your opportunity to supervise a brilliant mathematician 🙂

So I don't think it is all about smartness. I think this is called rationality. Eg. in game theory rationality/ rational behaviour in individuals is defined as maximizing their utility functions. ENTJs just seem to be much better in this then others. There are many kinds of smart, but just one rationality, which could explain why most of you rarely feel uncapable in something, and just focus on your best values instead, bc it wouldn't be rational the other way around.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
If someone is smart, then they can probably master any topics they want to. For smart individuals it is a matter of choice. It seems that character is also important, maybe more then innate "smartness", depending on what you want from life.

If you absolutely never ever want to be told what to do by someone you consider to be below you (intellectually), then this will define your career, not math. But for someone who likes math and wants to do it and enjoys doing it, math will come first, so this person won't care who will tell them what to do, and there is your opportunity to supervise a brilliant mathematician 🙂

So I don't think it is all about smartness. I think this is called rationality. Eg. in game theory rationality/ rational behaviour in individuals is defined as maximizing their utility functions. ENTJs just seem to be much better in this then others. There are many kinds of smart, but just one rationality, which could explain why most of you rarely feel uncapable in something, and just focus on your best values instead, bc it wouldn't be rational the other way around.
This is rather funny as I am an Econ major and literally directly study utility maximization.

I also supplement this with a political and legal theory minor that specializes in moral philosophy. Through all of my readings I’ve become a bit of a rational egoist as I find it to be the most logical philosophical framework for living ones life.

So yeah just want to echo that you’re pretty right.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Anyone got a tendency to be more “violent” under stress or experiencing negative emotions, or is it just me?

When I’m under stress, physical exercise helps me. But if anyone gets in my way or crosses my path, there’s a good chance they’ll get yelled at or something. I’m also a lot more grumpy when I’m “down”, like sad or disappointed. In that time I feel like throwing/smashing/destroying stuff and lose my patience with people. I also get cold and unable to sympathize/empathize with anyone

Just curious if it’s just me or if anyone feels the same way

·
King of Seduction
7,118 Posts
Anyone got a tendency to be more “violent” under stress or experiencing negative emotions, or is it just me?

When I’m under stress, physical exercise helps me. But if anyone gets in my way or crosses my path, there’s a good chance they’ll get yelled at or something. I’m also a lot more grumpy when I’m “down”, like sad or disappointed. In that time I feel like throwing/smashing/destroying stuff and lose my patience with people. I also get cold and unable to sympathize/empathize with anyone

Physical exercise helps me when stressed sometimes. I don't yell at people, I definitely get grumpy as lose patience with people. I have no tendency to want to throw, smash, or destroy stuff. I find it hard to empathize or sympathize to a high degree without stress so I don't know if that is really impacted.

So I can't say that seems too similar to myself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just entered the corporate world and man is it fun! I am looking for an individual who shares this personality type with me (ENTJ) and currently holds a managerial role (preferably in IT Industry). It'd be great to pick his/her brain on how they have personally handled employees with contrasting personalities and continued to serve as an efficient/uplifting leader.

·
Banned
374 Posts

I didn't pay attention to this -> article <- (because I couldn't relate at all as an inteepee) until I saw it was greatly appreciated by ENTJs. Maybe it can prove to be useful to you if you haven't read it already. It kind of speaks about how ENTJs misuse Se when they're stressed, how this strategy fails and how to put things back in place as an ENTJ.

Extracts :

Introverted Feeling (Fi) senses that something is wrong but cannot understand why. So it passes the buck to Extroverted Sensation in an attempt to resolve the issue. The problem is that ENTJ's Se is not any stronger than their Fi. This manifests with the common ENTJ exchange of: Person A became overly difficult when I corrected them, should I just plow through the world forcing my objective because they'll eventually see that I'm right? This plowing is the Se function attempting to solve the problem. We realize that if we had absolute power, no one would ever question us."

////

"You are also made aware of your powerlessness when you exercise your weak Se function, which fails but doesn't stop crying about it"

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
So. The entj you know that’s majoring in philosophy is one of 3 things.
1.Already has good skills like the ability to code without school
2. Is simply dumb
3. Has rich parents and can spend life following non productive endeavors.
entJ much?

Perhaps the the ENTJ in question knows something you don't know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just compromise with myself. I ain't the smartest person in the world, but I'm smart enough to do my best. Plus give me the time and I'll learn what I need to do for any assignment. Even with limited experience, it only goes uphill from there.

4001 - 4020 of 4286 Posts