Personality Cafe banner

4041 - 4060 of 4317 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Anima/animus are shadow functions aka collective unconscious, not the tert/inferior functions. You do you and I'll do me.
I'm not here to change you, would be a waste of my energy. I do have a parting question, to the best of my knowledge Jung had a "4 function" model, in which the last was called the inferior. And typically the 4th was pretty much analog to unconscious/shadow. It was only later that people like Beebe who identified 8 complexes overlying those 4 functions. And in Beebe's model the inferior/4th is analog to anima/animus (certainly not the tertiary which is far more conscious), while 5th-8th are referred to as the shadow. I'm curious from what knowledge/perspective you came to the conclusion that inferior and anima/animus have no relation.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'm not here to change you, would be a waste of my energy. I do have a parting question, to the best of my knowledge Jung had a "4 function" model, in which the last was called the inferior. And typically the 4th was pretty much analog to unconscious/shadow. It was only later that people like Beebe who identified 8 complexes overlying those 4 functions. And in Beebe's model the inferior/4th is analog to anima/animus (certainly not the tertiary which is far more conscious), while 5th-8th are referred to as the shadow. I'm curious from what knowledge/perspective you came to the conclusion that inferior and anima/animus have no relation.
The collective unconscious, anima/animus, shadow and the archetypes, come from Jung.

https://www.amazon.com/Archetypes-Collective-Unconscious-Collected-Works/dp/0691018332

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,043
And to think, all I asked was how you all like to load the dishwasher. Which reminds me, I really need to get someone to load my dishwasher.
Come visit us for the snark. Stay for the intellectual pingpong. :idunno:

Reactions: Dare and Raconteur

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2
715 Posts
The past week or so, I've felt so inept and inadequate. It's crippling and it's been making the quantity of tasks I need to get done seem either overwhelming or pointless. Introverting is not helping in this regard, it's just making me feel lazy and stuck. I keep trying to assign a reason for my feelings so that I can just fix the situation and move on, but I can't quite pinpoint them. And the more the feelings come up, the more I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. I just want them to go away and get back to normal.

How do I handle this? Ignore it until it goes away? Lol. That's generally my preferred method of dealing with crap like this. Please, hit me with your Te advice.

·
King of Seduction
7,199 Posts
The past week or so, I've felt so inept and inadequate. It's crippling and it's been making the quantity of tasks I need to get done seem either overwhelming or pointless. Introverting is not helping in this regard, it's just making me feel lazy and stuck. I keep trying to assign a reason for my feelings so that I can just fix the situation and move on, but I can't quite pinpoint them. And the more the feelings come up, the more I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. I just want them to go away and get back to normal.

How do I handle this? Ignore it until it goes away? Lol. That's generally my preferred method of dealing with crap like this. Please, hit me with your Te advice.
If I feel like I am not getting shit done I usually have to make a list, prioritize tasks, and finish said list.
I don't usually feel too inept and inadequate - depending on the subject I might need to read to gain perspective or talk to someone who I trust that can grant me perspective.

I don't find ignoring your feelings as overly effective.
Rationalize them and move forward in an actionable way.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

Well you asked an ENTJ and I’m not, but I’d say you need to do something that proves to yourself that you’re wrong about being inept. What would work for me is picking a bigger task that I don’t particularly like but know I will feel good about having gotten out of the way successfully. It needs to be something with visual quantifiable results. At work I’d pick some old awful thing I kept putting off because it was too time-consuming and kept getting relegated to my “later” bucket. At home I’d prune a giant shrub or finally fix something that was broken around the house. Or clean out a closet or the garage or something.

It does not need to be a thing from your normal list. It needs to be a thing that is once-and-done that you can look at and say “Well look what I just did.”

For me that resets my brain.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
What do you like to do in your 'spare' time?

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,049
Reactions: Eren Jaegerbomb

·
King of Seduction
7,199 Posts
What do you like to do in your 'spare' time?
Usually I like going somewhere new or somewhere I like.
Sometimes I need to have a weekend chilling as well.
Sometimes I have to get shit off my to-do list.
Sometimes watching a movie or show is cool too.
I wish I read more but it seems I do better with lectures - I am taking a continuing education course which is sort of my spare time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Someone attractive enters the frame and they are looking at you while you are in mid conversation with a friend. You also happen to be sexually available. What would you do, give them a better angle to look at or totally ignore?

For the first time in a very long time i may have apprehended a female in the wild indicating interest from a purely instinctual reaction to my physiology/image. I was too stoned to move but was interesting to see this mating ritual down to the details. This is a dynamic my Si pays no attention to 90% of the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Someone attractive enters the frame and they are looking at you while you are in mid conversation with a friend. You also happen to be sexually available. What would you do, give them a better angle to look at or totally ignore?
Depends heavily on the circumstances. If I'm relatively free at the time or even looking to have some fun, I'd probably entertain a flirty chat and some messing around. There are plenty of things higher in my list of priorities than relationships or casual sex right now, though. I don't put it past myself to just shrug it off if I already have enough on my mind to think about.

If I'm worried about something, I tend to want to make myself busy to "correct" it even when I don't "need" to, before giving myself the luxury of any relaxation.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2
715 Posts
ENTj husband doesn't understand why I get so pissed when we do projects together. Here's the short version of it-

Him: "Go downstairs and get X tool for me." "Go dig through random area that this item could be in and find it for me." "Hold this shelf up for me." "I can't find my X, what did you do with it?!!?" "Go to the store and buy X item for me." "Come look at the thing I have rearranged for the 100th time/this item I have bought in various different brands, because I'm in 'can't make a decision mode'." Also talks about his interest and only his interest and nothing else for weeks and months.

Me: (After a really long time, and my sanity and patience are severely compromised) "Fuck you, I'm not your minion. Find/do your shit yourself."

Him: Absolutely blows up and doesn't understand why I wouldn't possibly want to help him. Plays victim. "We're supposed to work together! You never help me!" (this is after listening to him talk on and on about said project, offering suggestions, hanging out with him, and basically not talking or dealing with anything personal to me for months.)

I can't seem to articulate to him that teamwork doesn't mean me doing all of the detailed work that stresses him out while he does the parts he enjoys. I understand that as a part of his ASD, he will have obsessions and child-like meltdowns, but he is aware and high functioning enough to understand my side if he really wants to. Obviously I am communicating ineffectively, but I'm not sure how more clear I can be than, "We both need to share doing the dirty work, and it really pisses me off when you expect me to handle everything for you."

What is a better way to approach this?

*Edit* I read him some of what I wrote here, and he is trying to understand, but is genuinely confused as to why I would not want to help him and support him all the time, and doesn't understand what the big deal is. I calmly reminded him that he does not support me at all with any mundane details- i.e. the upkeep of our home and yard, car issues, and other general Si routine bullshit, and that we had decided long ago to try to be as much 50/50 in our marriage as possible. He rolled his eyes and replied that those things aren't relevant to this issue. I sort of feel like I'm going crazy, and maybe this isn't about personality dynamics or communication between two types at all.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Also talks about his interest and only his interest and nothing else for weeks and months.
Let’s just say I’m in a similar position. Weeks? Months? No, you’ll lose it. Hour, tops, then I say “Hey, I think you’re stuck! Time to change the subject” or “One more of your thing then I need to do my thing.” Less accusatory, more direct, no judgement. Took me years to figure this out. It works. I sometimes need to repeat “Hey, I’m doing my thing now!” If he is on the spectrum he can’t really read your cues well and learns it more by rote. It helps if you tell him when you are done with listening to him.

I can't seem to articulate to him that teamwork doesn't mean me doing all of the detailed work that stresses him out while he does the parts he enjoys. I understand that as a part of his ASD, he will have obsessions and child-like meltdowns, but he is aware and high functioning enough to understand my side if he really wants to. Obviously I am communicating ineffectively, but I'm not sure how more clear I can be than, "We both need to share doing the dirty work, and it really pisses me off when you expect me to handle everything for you."

Ask for what you want instead of what you don’t want and break it into specifics. What you say above is really broad. “How about when we start a project you make a list of the tools you need first, and get them. Then if you forgot one thing and I need to get it, I’ll be glad to help.” ENTJs in general are literal and direct. ASD means this is more so. Add some frustration to the mix and more so yet. If he is upset then just call time out, walk away, return when things are calm.

*Edit* I read him some of what I wrote here, and he is trying to understand, but is genuinely confused as to why I would not want to help him and support him all the time, and doesn't understand what the big deal is. I calmly reminded him that he does not support me at all with any mundane details- i.e. the upkeep of our home and yard, car issues, and other general Si routine bullshit, and that we had decided long ago to try to be as much 50/50 in our marriage as possible. He rolled his eyes and replied that those things aren't relevant to this issue. I sort of feel like I'm going crazy, and maybe this isn't about personality dynamics or communication between two types at all.
My husband will do those things if I ask but I have to ask.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
ENTj husband doesn't understand why I get so pissed when we do projects together. Here's the short version of it-

Him: "Go downstairs and get X tool for me." "Go dig through random area that this item could be in and find it for me." "Hold this shelf up for me." "I can't find my X, what did you do with it?!!?" "Go to the store and buy X item for me." "Come look at the thing I have rearranged for the 100th time/this item I have bought in various different brands, because I'm in 'can't make a decision mode'." Also talks about his interest and only his interest and nothing else for weeks and months.

Me: (After a really long time, and my sanity and patience are severely compromised) "Fuck you, I'm not your minion. Find/do your shit yourself."

Him: Absolutely blows up and doesn't understand why I wouldn't possibly want to help him. Plays victim. "We're supposed to work together! You never help me!" (this is after listening to him talk on and on about said project, offering suggestions, hanging out with him, and basically not talking or dealing with anything personal to me for months.)

Theoreticals aren't understood by autists so you need concrete examples. One way is to tell him that the next project will be you leading and him being the 'helper'. Then, treat him exactly like he treats you, sending him off like a servant or slave. Ensure you talk about the project for weeks afterwards, just like him. Wash, rinse, repeat until he finally gets it.

4041 - 4060 of 4317 Posts