Personality Cafe banner

1061 - 1080 of 4317 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I take charge when

A. It's worth it.

B. It's relatively easy.

So if I'm in a room of kids there is no reason in impressing. I'll sit back and just text my friends the whole time.

If I am around intelligent minds who I value the respect from. I will lead.

If I am surrounded by intelligent minds that are cynical and engineer types, even if I would like their respect. It's not worth the hassle.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
As an ENTJ with questions about other ENTJs, is it more my relative ambiversion compared to other ENTJs, or do other ENTJs not mind sitting back and soaking up a conversation or discussion until something needs to be asserted (factor or idea being overlooked). I do tend to take charge in many situations, but in general it's more of a "quiet" take charge rather than a bull-in-the-China-shop kind of thing.
As much as I like taking charge, I have no interest in being in charge all the time. If you ask me, that kind of attitude speaks of low Te rather than high. In other words, if a person needs to prove something, it means they lack it.

I consider myself an extrovert but there are many times when I don't join a discussion and watch/listen. My Te-Ni wants to collect information about dynamics, relationships and humour of a certain group before it tries to assert itself (so it ca plan the best course of action). When I figure out how the group works, I become very chatty and outspoken.

The same goes for taking charge. I do it only when I find it necessary (something is not working well), I'm interested in the matter and I know what the people will respond to well (imho a leader needs to know the people who work with him). I have no problem stepping back when I see fit and often do it only subtly. By that I mean, I won't say "I'm the boss here!" but I will influence the direction of the conversation or situation in a way that I consider the most ideal in the long term.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
I wanted to thank y'all for your responses about the question. I'm not super take charge, but I do take charge as necessary ... but yeah, it's usually after sitting back and watching group dynamics.

(Participation in discussion is usually after forming ideas of group dynamics, also.)

Reactions: Leviticus Cornwall

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I wanted to thank y'all for your responses about the question. I'm not super take charge, but I do take charge as necessary ... but yeah, it's usually after sitting back and watching group dynamics.

(Participation in discussion is usually after forming ideas of group dynamics, also.)
I usually take charge because no one else will.

There is something about the people in this area, they seem to be scared To.Death. of making a decision. So if I don't make a decision for them they will stand around wasting time until I want to kill them all.

The spineless little shits may think that being direct makes me a big meany head but I think it's better than the alternative.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
A question for all ENTJs (or friends of ENTJs, whatevs): Would you consider yourself - or other ENTJs you know - to be "closed off?" Is that a common trait?
I will if the sharing exerts my dominance over the thing to be shared [when not sharing gives someone else perceived power over me].

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
MBTI type most likely to discourage and cut down ambitious people by mislabeling them as materialistic and greedy?
xSFJ ('getting along'/ against people who stand out/ preserves 'the niceness of' status quo), some strains of INFx (against materialism/idealistic, they can be quite vocal + aggressive). ExTJ might do so as well, if they use the method as a tool (to keep people in line/advance themselves).

It depends how they do it and what reasons/preferred other-states are cited.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
@Handsome Jack @Lesuhlee @VanitasVanitas Maybe I'm just lucky but the ESFJs I know are all "live and let live" and "don't judge a book by its cover" kind of people. It's usually the people who have Si and Fe as they tertiary or inferior functions. It's as if the function wanted to prove itself. Especially INTPs are extremely judgmental in my opinion and they go down the "You're a horrible person" route. Apparently, I should care. I don't. My INFP mother usually considers evil anyone who doesn't (want to) follow the ESFJ stereotype.

Reactions: Handsome Jack

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sensing feeling judging?

@Lesuhlee @VanitasVanitas Maybe I'm just lucky but the ESFJs I know are all "live and let live" and "don't judge a book by its cover" kind of people. It's usually the people who have Si and Fe as they tertiary or inferior functions. It's as if the function wanted to prove itself. Especially INTPs are extremely judgmental in my opinion and they go down the "You're a horrible person" route. Apparently, I should care. I don't. My INFP mother usually considers evil anyone who doesn't (want to) follow the ESFJ stereotype.
xSFJ ('getting along'/ against people who stand out/ preserves 'the niceness of' status quo), some strains of INFx (against materialism/idealistic, they can be quite vocal + aggressive). ExTJ might do so as well, if they use the method as a tool (to keep people in line/advance themselves).

It depends how they do it and what reasons/preferred other-states are cited.
He does it because he's bitter and deeply disappointed in himself that he hasn't done anything with his life. He's directing that resentment towards other people who are moving forward with theirs even though they aren't rubbing anything in his face. These people want to help him. He's the type of friend you can't fucking share any good news with because it's 'showing off'. Have a baby? SHOWING OFF. Graduate college? SHOWING OFF. Work your ass off and buy a new Benz? SHOWING OFF.

It's a form of jealousy but not purely that. I don't think he wants what other people have ... I think that he wants what he wants but that he can't get. And that's the source of his rage.

I know he's an intuitive and feeler for sure so something xNFx. I'll have to work backwards for the last two letters via cognitive functions. Ty ty.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
@Prada the ESFJ I know is firmly operating on being emotionally manipulative/emotional blackmailing, I could see them wanting to keep the 'peace' would strike down those who stand out. They'll do it for the sake of others (that might get their feelings hurt/feeling envious, especially when they're protective-assume leadership of them), and not for themselves-- or they would claim/believe so.

ISFJs could be very bitchy and internalize dislikes/restlessness into finding fault everywhere, and someone who stands out could be pegged as 'inconsiderate' or 'rude' (similar, but different from ESFJ, for it's more an internal sentiment).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
the ESFJ I know is firmly operating on being emotionally manipulative/emotional blackmailing, I could see them wanting to keep the 'peace' would strike down those who stand out. They'll do it for the sake of others (that might get their feelings hurt/feeling envious, especially when they're protective-assume leadership of them), and not for themselves-- or they would claim/believe so.

ISFJs could be very bitchy and internalize dislikes/restlessness into finding fault everywhere, and someone who stands out could be pegged as 'inconsiderate' or 'rude' (similar, but different from ESFJ, for it's more an internal sentiment).
They seem very unhealthy to say the least. TBH, I feel like hating people for being ambitious or liking physical comfort can come from any and all types. It all matters on the maturity of the said person.

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Possibly, if they are immature.

If I look at myself, I agree there is a sense of wonder about strongly career orientated people. I have the tendency to want to say slow down, relax, there's more to life than that. In an immature or frustrated person this might grow into jealousy and misrepresenting them, but I don't think it's the most natural process for an INFP. If I feel someone's very different from me, I will want to understand them and learn from them. And with getting older I simply admire their passion more.
I do think that some FP males have a harder time just being themselves as they are constantly reminded by society that they don't live up to the masculin standards and should achieve more. This might render them more frustrated about life in general, but also see other men who succeed as people who accentuate their "failures" and raise the bar even higher.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Possibly, if they are immature.

If I look at myself, I agree there is a sense of wonder about strongly career orientated people. I have the tendency to want to say slow down, relax, there's more to life than that. In an immature or frustrated person this might grow into jealousy and misrepresenting them, but I don't think it's the most natural process for an INFP. If I feel someone's very different from me, I will want to understand them and learn from them. And with getting older I simply admire their passion more.
I do think that some FP males have a harder time just being themselves as they are constantly reminded by society that they don't live up to the masculin standards and should achieve more. This might render them more frustrated about life in general, but also see other men who succeed as people who accentuate their "failures" and raise the bar even higher.
Great points here, Riv. Thanks for the insight from the FP side, especially the bold part. It's hard to understand other people's way of thinking when the same things in life are obtainable given focus and hard work. That's probably why I don't understand the resentment. He has a problem with his girlfriend achieving more in life but it's not like he couldn't do the same. It's not like there's one cookie for everyone and we all have to fight for it. We can all get what we want so why bother going after someone pursuing their goals?

Also worth noting that ambitious people don't see pursuing their dreams as a burden. They don't see it as something to tone down, relax, and back down from. They're immersed in their goals whether it's Kobe Bryant in basketball, Steve Jobs in technology, Jiro Oni in sushi, or Ben Carson in pediatric neurosurgery their craft is their passion and it brings them a sense of purpose and happiness. Corporate careers are just the same.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also worth noting that ambitious people don't see pursuing their dreams as a burden. They don't see it as something to tone down, relax, and back down from. They're immersed in their goals whether it's Kobe Bryant in basketball, Steve Jobs in technology, Jiro Oni in sushi, or Ben Carson in pediatric neurosurgery their craft is their passion and it brings them a sense of purpose and happiness. Corporate careers are just the same.
This explains a lot. I am considered very ambitious for an INFP (someone on this forum referred to me as a "glitch in the matrix") but a lot of what I have achieved is based on the dreams of others rather than my own.

My own dream is a very loose "I want to be the best version of myself that I can be" kind of dream. I have no idea what that looks like... so I look at the success of others and try to duplicate... and it is exhausting. I have often found myself thinking "why is this so goddamned hard for me when it seems to come so easily to <insert name here>."

I can see now that it is exhausting precisely because I am not working towards concrete personal goals that matter deeply to me. I wonder how many other FP's do this and become jaded/bitter/envious in the process.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How would you tell apart an ESTP from an ENTJ with underdeveloped Ni?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Any ever met an ENTJ with a low IQ?

I have my thoughts on this but would like to hear from others before I influence the conversation.

1061 - 1080 of 4317 Posts