Personality Cafe banner

1961 - 1980 of 4286 Posts

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,961
Hellooo ENTJs! I'll be posting this question in some other forums as well, but I'd like to know- what does "respect" mean to you and what does it entail?
I think for most people respect implies admiration of a person - holding that person in high regard for a quality he possesses. This quality can be something assigned by society (the authority of a police officer, a parent, a superior) or something achieved by the individual (being a well-respected journalist, a humanitarian, a philanthropist).

For me, it's more about broad ideals and principles (free speech, equality, franchisement). The individuals involved in achieving these ideals aren't really relevant to me. It's the broader picture of the principle that I have respect for.

So, for example, this quote:

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to death your right to say it."

has been attriuted to various people. It doesn't matter to me who said it. I don't respect them for having said it. I'm not interested in their "backstory". I'm more interested in, and have respect for, the principle the words represent.

In your research, I think that you'll find that true of Intuitives - more respect for abstract ideas. With Sensors, you'll get more societal examples of whom they respect. :wink:

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I know this sounds weird but I'll ask anyway. Do ENTJ usually manipulate people for attention? I love my ENTJ dad so much but he's always making some sort of drama just so I'll give him attention. It's not like I ignore him or anything I always try to show him love and respect but it just seems like it's not enough. it's driven me crazy but I just try to deal with it. Is this an ENTJ trait or is he just odd?
I'd rather be more direct.

Also we arnt much of manipulators anyways, we will never try and convince someone else of something unless we've already convinced ourselves.

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
I know this sounds weird but I'll ask anyway. Do ENTJ usually manipulate people for attention? I love my ENTJ dad so much but he's always making some sort of drama just so I'll give him attention. It's not like I ignore him or anything I always try to show him love and respect but it just seems like it's not enough. it's driven me crazy but I just try to deal with it. Is this an ENTJ trait or is he just odd?
That sort of behavior sounds very unlike me. I don't manipulate people for attention and I certainly don't look to create drama as I hate drama to be honest. I'd say that's an oddity specific to your dad because I don't like to seek attention nor do I like to manipulate people. If I do, it's damn well for good reasons and not something that's kind of selfish like wanting more attention from my child.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That sort of behavior sounds very unlike me. I don't manipulate people for attention and I certainly don't look to create drama as I hate drama to be honest. I'd say that's an oddity specific to your dad because I don't like to seek attention nor do I like to manipulate people. If I do, it's damn well for good reasons and not something that's kind of selfish like wanting more attention from my child.
Yeah, it's odd because when he's talking to me and the other family we're paying attention to him he suddenly comes off with "ok, nobody's listening to me I'll go now" and we all freak out cause it's out of nowhere. He's an amazing father don't get me wrong but he's always been a little kid in a grown man's body so I guess that's it.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Yeah, it's odd because when he's talking to me and the other family we're paying attention to him he suddenly comes off with "ok, nobody's listening to me I'll go now" and we all freak out cause it's out of nowhere. He's an amazing father don't get me wrong but he's always been a little kid in a grown man's body so I guess that's it.
:frustrating: Hm, replace little kid with forever a teen/young adult and I'd say you've described me rather well. :frustrating:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Does anyone know where Prada went off to, and if she's okay?

It's been quite some time since she's come around these here parts <western accent which I am in no way geographically deserving to use>.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Advice for a mom of an ENTJ daughter who is attending college for her Sr year in high school.

Background: Mom was an "overachiever" and "independent" and is empathic especially of those close to her. Daughter attempted 16 hours her first Freshman semester while working part-time. Mom advised her to take only 12 hours as daughter is dyslexic (reading and auditory) and has difficulty with algebra & geometry type math. Daughter will have to re-take or test out of the remedial 3 math class as it was an 8 week fast track. Daughter appeared to understand why mom gave said advise after failing the math meaning she was not able to advance to the remedial 4 math class. Daughter was about to drive mom up a wall because of daughter's temperament when under stress. Now daughter is livable and even enjoyable to be around and will complete 10 credit hours successfully most likely with As or Bs.

Advice Please: Mom heard daughter talking on phone about classes she plans to enroll in next semester. Same math class, Biology w/lab, English Comp II & ___________. When asked about that many classes again mom was reminded daughter has to do 15-16 hrs each semester to graduate on schedule. Back to the 16 hours again......... 1. How to help daughter logically see her LIMITATIONS?
and or 2. How does FP mom prepare and cope through next semester?

·
Registered
187 Posts
1. How to help daughter logically see her LIMITATIONS?
1. Let her learn from what she plans to do. ENTJs remember helpful feedback because we enjoy bettering ourselves, if they don't deem the help as important enough--they'll go 'meh, maybe'.

2. How did you cope last time she did something like this? To clarify, does "coping through next semester" translate to "coping through ENTJ's daughter's mood?" or "coping through my worry for my daughter's wellbeing?" (Both are acceptable translations, but if I'm off the mark--do tell).

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Does anyone know where Prada went off to, and if she's okay?

It's been quite some time since she's come around these here parts <western accent which I am in no way geographically deserving to use>.
On online forums, people come and people go. So probably just a lack of use of the account. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
1. How to help daughter logically see her LIMITATIONS?
I honestly had that same problem in college. I'd frequently overextend myself then end up a burned out mess at the end of the semester/quarter (my college had 3 quarters per school year). When it came to balancing clubs, academics and being social, I was never good at pacing myself and I'd always try to take on too much. If you're worried about her GPA, then I would say that sit down with her and explain why she should stick to 12 units and also remind her she can take summer school too if she feels like she's falling behind.

As for how to prepare and cope, I'd say weathering the storm would be an apt way to put it. :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
1. Let her learn from what she plans to do. ENTJs remember helpful feedback because we enjoy bettering ourselves, if they don't deem the help as important enough--they'll go 'meh, maybe'.

2. How did you cope last time she did something like this? To clarify, does "coping through next semester" translate to "coping through ENTJ's daughter's mood?" or "coping through my worry for my daughter's wellbeing?" (Both are acceptable translations, but if I'm off the mark--do tell).
Megalodonite,
I'm open to suggestions for coping through both her mood(s) and my concern for her well being and future. I've told her I will do what I can to help her get through school, but I have my limits and will not get loans for her to go to school.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Megalodonite,
I'm open to suggestions for coping through both her mood(s) and my concern for her well being and future. I've told her I will do what I can to help her get through school, but I have my limits and will not get loans for her to go to school.
Understandable, my mother is the same way! I think we (ENTJs) are self-motivated to do whatever it takes to make our lives better for ourselves, while at the same time, understanding that may take our own hard work.

I'm also a fellow ENTJ attending college :) I'm not sure what you're daughter is like me when she goes through moods, but noticed that if I, or my mother, steer clear away from me--both parties benefit. Mom allows me to initiate conversation when I'm "back" again. If the daughter takes her stress out on you (which I sincerely hope isn't the case)...give her perspective (i.e., why are you directing this towards me? do you think it's fair to talk to me this way? does this behavior solve anything? etc), and generally push her back to solving the initial stress.

I wish you two all the best.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
I’m curious. In general terms, what do ENTJs think about each of the functions they lack? (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m curious. In general terms, what do ENTJs think about each of the functions they lack? (Ti, Ne, Si, Fe).
No opinion on Ti.

I look to Ne in wonder (harhar irony). I'm sure I use Ne to an extent (as with all functions), but it's something that I'm not conscious of doing because then the Ni takes over quite quickly? I can give out ideas, but then the Ni cuts in cold turkey and directs me onto one path. Ne function is wild,and it's interesting to see it in other people because their eyes light up, and that's really beautiful.

I probably want Si the most because I've idealized it to fit perfectly into my life, Si is useful. Maybe if I had Si, I would be able to perform better in academia. I'm fxcked with details, and Si is not entirely detail-oriented--but details are an important part to Si. I look to my ISTJ friends, and they're complete monsters (the good kind of monsters if you can't read my tone through the internet) due to their use of Si. I have made my work great without Si, so Si is not everything, but maybe I could be better with Si. I see the benefits of both Si and Se...it's just something that I ponder, and think if it would really affect my life differently if I had it.

Sometimes I think of wanting Fe, purely for social application because Fi doesn't give a damn all the time. In terms of social etiquette--I still practice it with my Fi because I'm a human person that needs to function and live in a human society, but it'd bring less internal moaningandgroaning with Fe because then I wouldn't have to debate whether I want to be honest (i.e., someone asking me for an honest opinion--it would be okay if I lied cause their feelings are my priority), or whatever else because the result is that, I'd want to preserve group harmony, or make sure it's okay with people. Right? Also, Fe is quite expressive. People would think less of me as a robot, or an ahole if I wear my heart on my sleeve->gain rapport very early on rather than needing to figure out if I'm an okay person to hang out with or not. Social things, not so much for myself.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I always get quite high results for Ti, it's consistently my second strongest function after Te on every function test. I think I rely on Ti quite a lot, mostly to back-up my Te.

It's difficult to say what my Ne and Si are like because I don't get consistent results for those with the tests, but my Ni is pretty strong and strong Ne users can really annoy me, I'm always trying to reign them in, reach a conclusion, figure out a probability.

Si is interesting, I always find my Si-user friends tend to care more about their diet and health, don't require as much novelty as my Se does, and have excellent memories. Edit: Forgot to mention that they are accuracy powerhouses. They make me look like an amateur a lot of the time because I lack their attention to detail. At the same time though, I prefer to skim-over unnecessary detail if it doesn't add value.

My Fe is on-par with my Fi, which is to say really low. I really appreciate Fe in other people though, it's such an excellent social lubricant. Fe users are openly kinder and more generous in some ways. At the supermarket today I watched a woman trying to push a shopping trolley the wrong way up a travelator and it had gotten stuck. I sort-of stared at her trying to figure out the situation and then walked past her, while my ISTP partner (Fe inferior) stopped to help her. I find Fe dom/aux users kind of manipulative though. Where I will be direct about what I want, they will butter you up, apply social pressure, be passive-aggressive, make you feel indebted, that sort of thing. I find it disingenuous in those instances, and it makes me question their motivations whenever they start being nice to me. A little bit is great though, I tend to like NTPs and STPs.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
TI: I find that most of the time Ti-dominants tend to be very well meaning but kind of unaware of how the world is and how it works. Ti types love to figure out the physical world but when it comes to understanding people, they can seem a bit vexed at times. I don't find myself using Ti much if at all. I knew from a young age I wanted to be an engineer starting from a young age but I chose an engineering field that's much more Te in nature than Ti. Although I would say chemistry is a very Ti and Ni field and I always excelled in that subject in school.

Ne: Interesting in small doses but can become annoying if the person is off the wall constantly. Ne in others I do try to encourage and not stifle them but I refrain from enabling their off-the-wallness. Ne-dominants to me, lack boundaries. ENTPs lack social boundaries and ENFP lack boundaries as to what is actually possible in reality. Still though, Ne tends to be very thought-provoking but please, sit down and be still while doing so. Or at least pace around at a way where you're still understandable. :\

Si: I suck at Si but this is where I appreciate assistance with it the most. While I can be detail oriented and very health conscious, it's not a natural inclination of mine I've worked myself to the point where my body would be on the verge of shutting down and me falling asleep where I fall. An Si person would never do that but this gosh darn Ni has that future realization to reach, the limitations of this body be damned! :tongue: I lack it, but I appreciate people who can give me some love in the form of Si when I need it.

Fe: Pleasant, nice, uplifting on the positive side. Manipulative, nasty and ends up creating social and sometimes roles on the negative. I don't like having to fit into a certain role for the rest of my life so this is an area I'd rather avoid. I tend to become good friends with NFJs and SFJs on occasion as well so it's not like I never like Fe. I just prefer facts and reasoned conclusions than emotions and decisions made based on the greater good of the group. Because in such cases it's usually people like me who are then asked to sacrifice. :dry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
New ENTJ here! I've been skimming through the forum and have a very important question to ask: Why are there so many relationship threads?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
New ENTJ here! I've been skimming through the forum and have a very important question to ask: Why are there so many relationship threads?
Because MBTI is like astrology, most people use it as a shortcut compatibility agent. Whether thats useful or not is debatable.

1961 - 1980 of 4286 Posts