Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What kinds of things do you do during you free time?
Hanging out with friends, playing league of legends, reading, training, listening to music, watching youtube videos about ancient military strategies. Oh, and I just started making a viking shield.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
How would you react if you just found out that your child has been drinking alcohol underage for a number of years without your knowledge and your spouse has known the entire time and never told you?
I'd be angry at my spouse, confront her about why she never told me, etc. And I'd be very disappointed at my child. I'd start to doubt how much trust I have from my child and wife, asking myself why they didn't told me, etc.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you like watching sports or e-sports?
In general, for entertainment's sake, no. To me, the time could be better spent doing the sport myself. That way, I could at least get some exercise.

That said, there are exceptions. Watching sport can serve as a means for inspiration or improvement, so it depends on what the purpose is.

Whats your opinion on things like fanatic-like fans?
These are guys that have their priorities in life wrong. Now, why so is a topic in itself, but 2 main thoughts about it:

Distractions in life have always been around, but technology and modern society have made it easier than ever before to portray impossibly perfect personas (think: Photoshop + makeup + plastic surgery + etc), and nurture obsessive behaviour like this. The availability of choice means that you can watch only the stuff you want, and find sufficient numbers of similar minded people online - which then becomes "reality".

At the same time, there have always been troublemakers who just need a cause (or excuse) to rally around. These tend to be the ones who end up as sports hooligans, for example.

If you were in the building business, would you rather be doing designs of modern houses (make the idea), make them functional and buildable (realize the idea) or maybe be in a process of construction (physical labor)? You can elaborate.
To generalise the question: Would you prefer to conceptualise an idea, do the details, or implement it?

As far as STJ, from gut reactions we would prefer to do the details or implement it. However, from experience, we also know that flawed conceptualisation of ideas also lead to flawed implementation, so we would start to expand into that after a while.

And you forgot to mention a 4th: regulating the entire business to try to reduce flaws.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
@Epicyclic

I hate the fourth phase. Maintenance of anything is mental death for me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
@Dumaresq - We hate it, but if we have to, we will do it. Not unlike some other types who just can't bear to do it or think it too mundane for them to bother.

So we try to manage the system such that maintanence issues like these are kept to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
@Dumaresq - We hate it, but if we have to, we will do it. Not unlike some other types who just can't bear to do it or think it too mundane for them to bother.

So we try to manage the system such that maintanence issues like these are kept to a minimum.
Who is the we?

If you put me in position where I just had to maintain something, it wouldn't get done unless my continued existence depended on it.

So I dunno about you, but check me off for the "can't bear to do it" box.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Hi everybody!

I wanted to know more about ESTJs, I recently typed my mom ESTJ, plus it's my opposite type, so I'm curious.

I've noticed that this person's (Michael Pierce) descriptions of types are either loved or hated depending on the sub-forum. What is your opinion?

Also some random questions from me:

1. Are there common situations that ESTJs excel or struggle with? For example, high school is generally not a fun time for INFPs.
2. Do you find common interests among ESTJs on this site? Is that just a coincidence?
3. Easiest way to commit a faux pas to an ESTJ in conversation or action? Easiest way to show understanding?
4. When you aren't in here, what other sub-forums do you frequent?

One point of nuance: I'm not asking to form stereotypes, and I apologize if I come off that way.

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
1. Are there common situations that ESTJs excel or struggle with? For example, high school is generally not a fun time for INFPs.
Excel with: I don't have much problem at school, always among Top 10 in class, always chosen as class administrator, joined lots of clubs, had decent friends. I was a responsible child, my parents trusted me more than my older brother. I took care of household when they were at work.
Struggle: Because I'm a responsible person and never complain, my friends, siblings, teachers, and parents dropped most of the heavy burden and responsibility on my shoulder. They didn't care about my feelings because they think I can handle everything. But actually I was very upset because I feel used, exploited, and abandoned. Maybe that is why I have a lot of anger. I was very fiery and everybody was afraid of me.

2. Do you find common interests among ESTJs on this site? Is that just a coincidence?
Sometimes yes, sometimes not.

3. Easiest way to commit a faux pas to an ESTJ in conversation or action? Easiest way to show understanding?
I'm human, treat me like a human. Just because I don't cry, doesn't mean I'm not sad. Just because I act cruel, doesn't mean I cannot empathize. Just because I don't show it, doesn't mean I don't have feelings. I do feel, but I have priorities other than following my emotional drive.

I used to wandering around.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi everybody!

I wanted to know more about ESTJs, I recently typed my mom ESTJ, plus it's my opposite type, so I'm curious.

I've noticed that this person's (Michael Pierce) descriptions of types are either loved or hated depending on the sub-forum. What is your opinion?

One point of nuance: I'm not asking to form stereotypes, and I apologize if I come off that way.

I liked the video, personally! One of the better descriptions of our type I've ever seen. Like many of us I'm sure have said, we're much like ENTJs except that instead of percolating theory, we're much more concerned with making things happen tangibly, in the real world. Thus the much fewer number of ESJs, particularly ESTJs, on the forum.

1. I'd agree with @WickedQueen , I excelled in school and still do. Academic settings suit me for the most part, although I have to say now that I've been interacting directly with patients for so long, I don't think I could go back to a straight-up 'objective' job in health care. I did have many decent friends and still do, and while it's harder for me to make close friends now, I suspect that is more enneagram subtype than MBTI. I am perfectly capable of getting along with and working alongside most people in terms of MTBI leanings.
I struggle when it comes to 'empathizing with fools', as well as 'social patience', according to my husband. He counts it as a struggle that I am 'not entertained by people acting stupidly' and that 'when people would see someone skateboarding down the street carrying a second person other people would look at it and be like 'wow hahahaha that's so silly' and you'd be like 'those fucking idiots'.
....... I guess that's a problem? Who fucking knew.
2. Same, sometimes I have things in common, other times now. Most of the time I find the themes of my interests the same as ESTJs around my own age, and the younger or much older ones to be completely incomprehensible (or at least very visibly immature)
3. Be inconsistent or brush me off are the more minor ones. They're the ones that will make me think you are an idiot and nullify any opinion beyond 'neutral' I had of a person. Acting as though I am incompetent without assessing my abilities or treating me as incompetent in general will make me envision ways to make your life a living fucking hell from now until you're nothing to me.
4. I tend to look at the enneagram forums a lot, as I enjoy that theory of PT. I like the polls and health and fitness as well. Otherwise, I'm just here there and everywhere.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts

Please watch and post your thoughts.

Do you agree/disagree with Pierce's interpretation of Jung's works with regards to the difference between sensing and intuition?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi everybody!

I like that video, it seems to describe ESTJs pretty good. There's another one of his videos I've made a thread about, http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/471290-new-type-labels.html
Here he describes the types as well (very shortly), but I love his descriptions of the STJs.

1. Can't come up with any right now. I wouldn't say high school is that much of a problem though.
2. I don't know, I haven't checked the interest of the other ESTJs here.
3. Hmm. Don't act the way you talk, and don't take responsibility for what you've done. I think. Easiest way to show understanding... Say that you understand maybe? Haven't thought about it.
4. ENTJ, ENFP, and sometimes ISTJ. I've been quite a bit in INTJ, but that was when I was active in a thread there. Myers Briggs Forum and Cognitive functions, as well as Guess my type. Sometimes I just go around...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Please watch and post your thoughts.

Do you agree/disagree with Pierce's interpretation of Jung's works with regards to the difference between sensing and intuition?
This is bookmarked.
Really nice video, for most part, I seem to agree with him. I think it's kind of like I thought in the beginning, when I started to dive in to MBTI, but later drifted away from. It's very interesting, I really have to watch that again. Thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Why are you Leave It to Beaver in the streets but Salò in the sheets?

·
Registered
328 Posts
How do you guys handle moral disagreements? As in, when you regard some act to be morally wrong and the other person doesn't. Does the way you tackle that depend on whether you're dealing with a stranger or a relative, and on any form of hierarchy? Specifically, when talking about this with your kids, do you ever use the "because I said so" argument?

·
Registered
593 Posts
How do you guys handle moral disagreements? As in, when you regard some act to be morally wrong and the other person doesn't. Does the way you tackle that depend on whether you're dealing with a stranger or a relative, and on any form of hierarchy? Specifically, when talking about this with your kids, do you ever use the "because I said so" argument?
Personally I never have and never will use 'because I said so' as an argument 'winner', period. People that do so infuriate me and I frankly find them laughable at the same time. If you can't present proof, get the hell out.

In terms of moral arguments, separate from ethical arguments in my mind, I really don't care what anyone's position is as long as they're not asserting what they believe as the truth (and I do not do so either- I may believe others' ideas as 'wrong' but I'll never tell them my way is best, either) to others, particularly children, or using their beliefs to harm others or infringe on their rights.... who cares? Why waste the energy arguing with those people?

I have hyper-religious family all over my dad's side, including my father, and at the end of the day it's like... thank god you guys are gonna be dead soon so you can stop telling 13 year olds they're going to hell for getting raped. I know they love me, and I know they genuinely believe they are doing 'the right thing', and no amount of arguing is going to change that so I don't bother. I just keep myself as far away from that as possible and refuse to corroborate or take part in their statements about those matters.

That seems to really madden people, but I just can't be assed.

A particular example that comes to mind was a young person in a skype MBTI chat I was in for a while. They asserted quite strongly that pedophilia was unlike any other fetish and we only regarded it as morally wrong because we didn't 'trust children' to 'make their own choices'.

I work in nursing. I've seen 11 year olds be declared 'competent' to keep diagnosis information from their parents. Doesn't mean I think a 30 year old fucking a 12 year old is normal, it never has been, never will be, and there is zero biological basis for it whatsoever. Children can be declared competent, SOME OF THEM, but no child under 10 is capable of consenting to intercourse if for no other reason than their bodies can't fucking take it.

I presented this person with studies, evidence, my own long experience dealing with children who were victims of sexual abuse, teens who were 'willing' participants of underaged sex and now in twice-weekly therapy, etc etc. But nope. It's a 'normal fetish'.

Again, why bother? Somebody's bound to knock that person out sooner or later, and it makes no difference to me what some idiot 18 year old believes. No energy to waste arguing with a moron like that. Have your morals all you want but accept facts or you're a joke, regardless of where in the 'hierarchy' you are to me or how well I know you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How do you guys handle moral disagreements? As in, when you regard some act to be morally wrong and the other person doesn't.
I'm usually very tolerant regarding moral differences. Perhaps I will lose some respect for the person in question, but I will rarely try to convince them to think the same way I do (though I likely wish that they did).

Does the way you tackle that depend on whether you're dealing with a stranger or a relative, and on any form of hierarchy?
I may be somewhat forceful with relatives, simply because I'm more at ease with them and know their established moral stances well. It will probably result in a fervent argument from my side defending my points. On the other hand, if they happen to be someone I don't know well, I'll be less sure in myself and more inclined to listen to their point of view. With teachers or professors, though, I'll probably let it pass. As said, I'm generally tolerant of beliefs different from my own, so I won't feel too upset if they still end up disagreeing with me.

Specifically, when talking about this with your kids, do you ever use the "because I said so" argument?
I don't have kids, but if I did I would probably refrain from using the "because I said so" argument entirely. Perhaps it's dominant Te or just an idiosyncrasy of mine, but I expect good reasons for thinking the way you do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, this has been bugging me for some time. What is ESTJ approach to PDA? If there is any general approach (I know it depends on the partner and relationship and that every ESTJ is different...etc). You can keep it scientific or talk about your personal approach.
Thanks ^.^

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
What do you guys really hate?
Like a thing that you cannot keep inside and sometimes bursts out as rage.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
What do you guys really hate?
Like a thing that you cannot keep inside and sometimes bursts out as rage.
When people ask for my time under the pretense of having me help them solve something, only for them to use it as an opportunity to endlessly complain.

Doesn't happen anymore, but happened a lot in my earlier years.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
It depends on who the disagreement is with. Generally speaking, I tend to back off moral disagreements if there is room to do so.

If there's room to forgive the difference and continue the relationship, I do so. If the moral difference is too great to bridge, I simply cut the person from my life as much as I can. I don't care for moral arguments in general, as they tend to get very emotionally messy.

41 - 60 of 549 Posts