Personality Cafe banner

2361 - 2380 of 2380 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
In an average conversation, do you ask people more logic-related questions or feeling-related questions?
I think you don't mean small-talk like "how are you doing". Well, it depends. I asked you a technical question, so that would be logic-related. But many questions I ask are triggered by feelings I have, even though I may phrase some of them in Thinking terms. Maybe that is because feelings are hard to describe accurately and hard to compare between individuals, so I intellectualise them in conversation.

So I am ambivalent about the question. I think that if I really had to choose one alternative, I'd go with the logic. Maybe it "feels" safer, haha. But that would not do my Feeling-side justice -- it is there and it is strong. Strong enough to give me a hard time answering questions such as the above.

-Albert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends who it is and in what situation it’s towards. I’m a manager and keeping people motivated in a service industry, I have to remember my teams feelings. So asking about their personal life and asking what’s hard for them when they work, helps me understand them and what it is that keeps them going. I’m having to use feelings and be empathetic. But when you lead you need to be encouraging and be logical. So I use feeling questions to understand, then I use logic to get them through.
I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
INTP or what?
13,902 Posts
How do you guys/gals handle criticism? I'm asking ESTPs in general but this is prompted by somebody you know about. Donald Trump is reputed to be an ESTP and he doesn't like criticism at all. I'm not saying you are anything like him, just askin'... .

·
Registered
900 Posts
How do you guys/gals handle criticism? I'm asking ESTPs in general but this is prompted by somebody you know about. Donald Trump is reputed to be an ESTP and he doesn't like criticism at all. I'm not saying you are anything like him, just askin'... .
I had to stop and think about that. I guess it all depends on how relevant I believe the criticism is and what my priorities are. When I'm working, my priority is improving and moving up in my career etc... In that situation, (constructive) criticism is useful. I'm pragmatic when I want to be. It's easy enough to put my ego to one side when I need to. Some random person on the street criticizing me or someone I don't respect criticizing me isn't relevant. As a kid, I'd argue with them. As an adult, I might flip them the bird or shrug. My time is too valuable to get into it with someone who doesn't matter.

I think Trump didn't grow out of the arguing stage.

How do you deal with holding opposing opinion(s) to the majority of people 99% of the time?
I don't think I hold an opposing opinion with the majority of people 99% of the time. If I did, why would I need everyone to agree with me? Maybe if I find out a lot of people don't agree with me, if I haven't get the topic a lot of thought, I'd think about it some more when I have some time alone. But I'm not going to get into a debate. I need to go think about it and follow the logic. I might research it if it's important enough. But at the end of the day, I don't need to agree with people. If I don't think it's important, I don't even need to be sure I have made the right decision because it doesn't matter anyway. Like people arguing over the "right way" to put their tp on the dispenser. Fuck me, what is wrong with these people? The list of things I'd rather be spending my time on could fill a roll of toilet paper.

Some of the shit people waste time thinking about proves just how boring they are.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
i don't think about broad questions like this, it's an in the moment thing

but i probably don't care for you, and i don't care for your criticism either

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do you never find a debate can be stimulating? That you might even learn from it? I don't mean "arguing", ie. insisting that you're right and the other person wrong.

-Albert.

I can't speak for all ESTP's, but, no.

I find reading or watching a topic can be informative and might change my mind. It doesn't mean that I can't entertain differing opinions and learn something but in a confrontational set up, like a debate, I'm highly unlikely to learn anything. I enjoy pushing peoples buttons and I enjoy winning. If they have a hard-on for logic, that's the first thing I ditch because it's obviously going to piss them off. I'm not interested in following arbitrary rules or playing a game as it's been dictated to me. I'll still have fun, but it's not like I learn anything. I share opposing views on PerC but when it starts to feel competitive, it's time to move on.

Like if you wanted me to work on a math problem, I'd work on the problem. Tell me to race the clock and my thoughts shift to fucking up the clock. It will probably take me longer to solve the problem because my thoughts barely brush the math problem anymore.

I don't know if I explained that very well. Kind of a stream of consciousness going on there. I guess it's just not a good idea to confront me with a new idea like it's a debate or argument where someone wins. I can have a conversation about opposing ideas but the tone is important. As soon as there's rivalry, my goals change and my interest shifts to competition. It doesn't mean I'm not capable of debate, but it's an extremely inefficient way to learn. Competition is helpful in sports, dance etc... But when exploring new ideas, debate is pointless for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I find reading or watching a topic can be informative and might change my mind.
I do too at times, but if I don't find angles on it where I can jump in and participate actively, I almost regret wasting my time reading it.

It doesn't mean that I can't entertain differing opinions and learn something but in a confrontational set up, like a debate, I'm highly unlikely to learn anything.
I meant the former. If both (or all) participants insist on clinging to their position, then the debate is pointless because it degenerates into an argument where none of the participants are going to change their mind. That said, it can be interesting to watch the different opinions and to "test" one's own position against the others, because I've found that formulating your ideas into words has a clarifying effect to the mind.

I enjoy pushing peoples buttons and I enjoy winning. If they have a hard-on for logic, that's the first thing I ditch because it's obviously going to piss them off. I'm not interested in following arbitrary rules or playing a game as it's been dictated to me. I'll still have fun, but it's not like I learn anything. I share opposing views on PerC but when it starts to feel competitive, it's time to move on.
You say you like pushing buttons and winning, but then you say you move on when it becomes competitive. Can you clarify this?

I don't know if I explained that very well. Kind of a stream of consciousness going on there. I guess it's just not a good idea to confront me with a new idea like it's a debate or argument where someone wins. I can have a conversation about opposing ideas but the tone is important. As soon as there's rivalry, my goals change and my interest shifts to competition. It doesn't mean I'm not capable of debate, but it's an extremely inefficient way to learn. Competition is helpful in sports, dance etc... But when exploring new ideas, debate is pointless for me.
Yeah, I suppose. I can enjoy a verbal competition depending on the details of it. But I kind of detach from it emotionally, and generally avoid getting defensive. I don't invest prestige in my arguments.

-Albert.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I do too at times, but if I don't find angles on it where I can jump in and participate actively, I almost regret wasting my time reading it.

I meant the former. If both (or all) participants insist on clinging to their position, then the debate is pointless because it degenerates into an argument where none of the participants are going to change their mind. That said, it can be interesting to watch the different opinions and to "test" one's own position against the others, because I've found that formulating your ideas into words has a clarifying effect to the mind.

You say you like pushing buttons and winning, but then you say you move on when it becomes competitive. Can you clarify this?

Yeah, I suppose. I can enjoy a verbal competition depending on the details of it. But I kind of detach from it emotionally, and generally avoid getting defensive. I don't invest prestige in my arguments.

-Albert.
Yeah, you're not understanding what I'm trying to explain. I'm not saying I get defensive or emotionally invested. You continue the debate on topic. My focus isn't on the debate anymore. It becomes focused on winning. You see winning as in winning the debate. Staying on topic and winning the debate. My focus isn't on the debate. My focus is on winning. I'm not sure I can explain it better than that.

On my own, I can examine a topic and consider it from other angles. But if the same ideas are presented in a confrontational setting, I'm not getting emotional or egotistical, but competitive. You're not seeing it the same way as me at all. Your goal stays on winning the topic of the debate. My goal becomes winning and my focus has immediately been directed away from the topic of the debate. There's nothing clarifying or informative going on for me. I'm going to be having fun fucking up their point. I stop making a point and just annoy people because it's fun watching them lose their minds over something that doesn't matter. The point stops being the topic of the debate and becomes seeing who loses their shit first.

It feels like a natural impulse to be destructive. I'm not trying to build arguments or prove anything in those situations. I don't know how to word this to get you to understand what I'm saying. If we were talking about the death penalty and then the tone of the conversation shifts to debate, where opposing views are in competition, I stop thinking about the death penalty and think about shutting you up. It's not a conversation anymore, for me it's a social competition. The person talking to me can try to continue a debate, but they're going to find a frustrating situation.

You can change my mind on a topic if it stays on a conversational tone, but if it resembles antagonistic you'd have better luck knocking down a wall banging your head against it.

You talk about this like it means I've gotten emotional or defensive or upset in these situations. But it's not. I'm still competitive in this situation, but my focus has shifted far, far, far, far, far away from the topic the person talking to me is still on and I'm more interested in winning in what is essentially a social competition. It's not less competitive, but the goals of the participants aren't in any way related.

·
Code Cracked
7,650 Posts
I do not mind it if, coming from someone I respect and has a clue. Hypocritical dingbats will be dealt with according.

Although, I am not 100% sure he is an ESTP. He has taken a beating for years and continues on. He is not going around crying about it. I respect that.

·
Code Cracked
7,650 Posts
Do you never find a debate can be stimulating? That you might even learn from it? I don't mean "arguing", ie. insisting that you're right and the other person wrong.

-Albert.
You were not quoting me but, most people assume interacting with a difference of an opinion is a debate (which could have a different definition/negative connotation depending on the person). I call it a conversation but, some people get really pissed and more heated if you do not conform to their way of thinking. I call it a back and forth. I get a little passionate about some topics and that is viewed as I am getting angry when that is the furthest thing from the truth.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it depends on WHO criticizes me. If it's a person close to me, a relative for example, then I can get really upset. I have to work on this flaw of mine.
But if it's" some random", then I just approach the thing rationally, try to discuss the topic - if it's a provocation, I act being chilled out and troll the person with my distance, it works. If it's legitimate criticism, I take it as advice for me to improve.

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,687 Posts
Hes not an ESTP at ALL. Criticism is fine if it doesn't come from a place of personal belief. If the criticism is only aimed at how things makes sense or not I'll accept it, don't give a shit about the feelings behind

·
Registered
INTP or what?
13,902 Posts
Hes not an ESTP at ALL. Criticism is fine if it doesn't come from a place of personal belief. If the criticism is only aimed at how things makes sense or not I'll accept it, don't give a shit about the feelings behind
ESTP = Se Ti Fe Ni. I asked that Q some time ago but will return to it. If the topic is criticism, your statement about personal belief might be right on ... not much related to personality type. Trump has his own personal beliefs (or stated beliefs) in spades. His Ti is bad. He is no scientist and scorns science anyway. His beliefs are all or none. That might be why he hates criticism. Other ESTPs might be more savvy and flexible.

·
Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
4,687 Posts
ESTP = Se Ti Fe Ni. I asked that Q some time ago but will return to it. If the topic is criticism, your statement about personal belief might be right on ... not much related to personality type. Trump has his own personal beliefs (or stated beliefs) in spades. His Ti is bad. He is no scientist and scorns science anyway. His beliefs are all or none. That might be why he hates criticism. Other ESTPs might be more savvy and flexible.
Criticism is always fine and welcomed if dealing with whatever course of action in the present moment or to clarify the current thought process behind whatever decision you take, in order to make it consistent

2361 - 2380 of 2380 Posts