Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 2381 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Why does my ESTP father tell me "no" when I ask him something on the spot, but then I'll receive a phone call a couple hours or a day later, to tell me "Yes" and he's "worked some things out" so he could do it. Is it to make sure I know how hard the struggle it is to do something? Is it about control? (Oh, you might need to know I'm his youngest :unsure:)

And why has it taken me so long to realize this pattern we have? It's silly, really.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Derosa90 what things got in the way of your realtionship?
I guess I should rephrase that. It was my own stupidity and lack of seeing how great she was. Then again, I was 19 at the time, and still going through an independent phase. But as I look back on it, I learned a lot from her. She helped me with my weaknesses...emotional intimacy..things of that nature. She's very beautiful and loved to party, but you didn't have to worry about her doing something behind your back. She was very loyal. But I did my part as well and helped her through some rough times. I made sure she always had someone to count on when there was trouble. I truly believe we were a great match.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I'm sorry but even I as an INFJ laughed at this one.
I'm scoping around the ESTP sub-forum with my ESTP friend.
You do realize that their Se is backed up with Ti right?
Se-doms aren't air heads. ESTP's (from the ones that I know) are actually quite intelligent.
Perhaps I am not correctly understanding your question...
But I really don't think they just stare at things all the time with no clear thought.
They're just very alert and aware of their surroundings.
From the ESTP's that I know, they generally have a motive to "do" which requires presence and a quick thought process.
You misunderstand me. When I think, I just analyze everything and do it in my head. Somehow ESTP's are able to analyze and take action simultaneously. How do you all do this?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You misunderstand me. When I think, I just analyze everything and do it in my head. Somehow ESTP's are able to analyze and take action simultaneously. How do you all do this?
Then it was worded rather terribly.
My ESTP friend and I did answer the question you just asked in the post you quoted.
It's the combination of Se and Ti.
Se is action, alert and awareness. Ti is thinking, analyzing, in your head.
ENTP's have the combination of Ne and Ti.
You lack Se- which is why you cannot understand the "action" of Se.
Which is why it's a stereotype that ESTP's are good in emergencies because they know how to act quickly.

They are also able to make things up as they go along.
For example: My ESTP friend didn't work on her skit we had all week to design for Theatre class when we were in high school. So, she would do one of two things: Make up an excuse to get out of it or just get up and make it up as she went along. The skit that she made up on stage got the most credit. Her teacher thought she had spent days working on it when in reality it was made up on the spot.
She also did this with her papers in school. She wrote them right before class and didn't feel any pressure.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Then it was worded rather terribly.
My ESTP friend and I did answer the question you just asked in the post you quoted.
It's the combination of Se and Ti.
Se is action, alert and awareness. Ti is thinking, analyzing, in your head.
ENTP's have the combination of Ne and Ti.
You lack Se- which is why you cannot understand the "action" of Se.
Which is why it's a stereotype that ESTP's are good in emergencies because they know how to act quickly.

They are also able to make things up as they go along.
For example: My ESTP friend didn't work on her skit we had all week to design for Theatre class when we were in high school. So, she would do one of two things: Make up an excuse to get out of it or just get up and make it up as she went along. The skit that she made up on stage got the most credit. Her teacher thought she had spent days working on it when in reality it was made up on the spot.
She also did this with her papers in school. She wrote them right before class and didn't feel any pressure.
Yeah, the way that I worded it was pretty awful and I am well aware of this.

Reactions: Ztommi

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why does my ESTP father tell me "no" when I ask him something on the spot, but then I'll receive a phone call a couple hours or a day later, to tell me "Yes" and he's "worked some things out" so he could do it. Is it to make sure I know how hard the struggle it is to do something? Is it about control? (Oh, you might need to know I'm his youngest :unsure:)

And why has it taken me so long to realize this pattern we have? It's silly, really.
Ah, I do that too. It's an ego issue really. It's about being sure that anything I do for people, I do out of favor and not because Im pressured into doing it; I don't like being taken for granted.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I'm glad. No harm, no foul. I just hope through explanation that you understand at some level now.
I already knew about there cognitive functions. I was just hoping that one of the ESTP's could give me like an idea of their thought process when they take action with Se and Ti. The ESTP fascinates me more than any other type.

Reactions: Ztommi

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I already knew about there cognitive functions. I was just hoping that one of the ESTP's could give me like an idea of their thought process when they take action with Se and Ti. The ESTP fascinates me more than any other type.
At least for me:

Se - What's going on around me? I'll figure how to do things as I go, no need to worry about the future since it's not here yet and anything can happen. Take action first, think about what to do as I go.

Ti - What I usually use when I listen to others. Point out inconsistencies within conversations, is logic able to follow what was said or written down. Think of what logically needs to be done.

Fe - I should follow social norms and express empathy in order to communicate better and get what I need to/ I am worrying too much about what other people are thinking about me.

Ni - Holy shit I'm going insane. I know all of the scenarios I'm creating in my head are illogical, but I'm drained of mental resources as it is.

That's at least how I tend to function.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
At least for me:

Se - What's going on around me? I'll figure how to do things as I go, no need to worry about the future since it's not here yet and anything can happen. Take action first, think about what to do as I go.

Ti - What I usually use when I listen to others. Point out inconsistencies within conversations, is logic able to follow what was said or written down. Think of what logically needs to be done.

Fe - I should follow social norms and express empathy in order to communicate better and get what I need to/ I am worrying too much about what other people are thinking about me.

Ni - Holy shit I'm going insane. I know all of the scenarios I'm creating in my head are illogical, but I'm drained of mental resources as it is.

That's at least how I tend to function.
That reminds me, because of the Se function, ESTP's often take action first and ask questions later. They scare me, because they are so present oriented that many rarely realize the possible repercussions of their actions. I guess it's also what makes ESTP personalities badasses though.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
That reminds me, because of the Se function, ESTP's often take action first and ask questions later. They scare me, because they are so present oriented that many rarely realize the possible repercussions of their actions. I guess it's also what makes ESTP personalities badasses though.
Look who's talking! Then again you've added an apology to your signature so you are thinking ahead by a little bit.

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
645 Posts
ESTPs!! Have you found yourself attracted to any ISTJs?? ;)
I automatically find myself attracted to ISTJs because they are objectively my ideal match up. By the way I am extremely intelligent for an ESTP, maybe that contradicts what people expect and they think I'm too good to be true, even though I am sure I was real last time I looked...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I automatically find myself attracted to ISTJs because they are objectively my ideal match up. By the way I am extremely intelligent for an ESTP, maybe that contradicts what people expect and they think I'm too good to be true, even though I am sure I was real last time I looked...
Great! What traits do you like about ISTJs? As an ISTJ myself, I like someone who is smart. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Great! What traits do you like about ISTJs? As an ISTJ myself, I like someone who is smart. ;)
Mainly their honesty and traditional ways. If there's a problem then they would probably point it out for what it is rather than acting awkward. And they can take constructive criticism very well, apparently, as well as dishing it out. All ideal qualities :)

61 - 80 of 2381 Posts