Personality Cafe banner

26381 - 26400 of 26421 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I don’t use social media
I do have a Facebook account but only use it to check out events at 2 local book stores
I never post on it
In the long run who really gives a shit about my daily activities
Freely giving the entire planet your info seems like a pointless and moot idea
I'm quite serious about my privacy and I don't have a facebook profile. I actually wanted to have an empty one to be able to check out some things on there, but Zuckerberg wanted to have my phone number, which was a no-go for me.

I have linkedin, however. I hate it given how many personal information I have on there, but don't see other ways to keep in touch with professional contacts, so I complain but keep it.
Interesting!

Personally I like social media, it's an outlet for me to say tons of shit I don't have the balls to say in front of real crowds of people. I'm basically the annoying overly political left wing guy posting rage news every day, with my own smatterings of angry words to personalise it.

I've had a lot of people tell me over years that they enjoy seeing what I post online because they don't dare do it themselves. I find it strange because I simply cannot see where the fear comes in. Perhaps it's because I truly believe in what I'm sharing, so I sense no shame in broadcasting it? I dunno.

Anyway, thanks for the input. What I find interesting about the INTJ approach is that you guys don't seem to mind what you say in real life, i.e. in a group situation where facts are being discussed, you'll just say it how it is, easy peasy, and I find that highly admirable. But when it comes to online social aspects, there seems to be this big barrier of fear that stops you from daring to put your words out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Interesting!

Personally I like social media, it's an outlet for me to say tons of shit I don't have the balls to say in front of real crowds of people. I'm basically the annoying overly political left wing guy posting rage news every day, with my own smatterings of angry words to personalise it.
What for? You won't convince those who don't share your political views anyway.

I have this urge sometimes too, but see it more as a weakness of mine than something I would like to keep doing or I'm proud of.

I've had a lot of people tell me over years that they enjoy seeing what I post online because they don't dare do it themselves. I find it strange because I simply cannot see where the fear comes in. Perhaps it's because I truly believe in what I'm sharing, so I sense no shame in broadcasting it? I dunno.
I like reading opinions of people who actually have the necessary background information and are smart enough to grasp the topics they are talking about in all their complexity. But most of political statements in social media is a simplistic political activism from people too ignorant to fathom the complexity of topics they are discussing. It's useless.

And I mean both the right-wing and left-wing here. Right-wing because they are frequently stupid and/or mean, left-wingers because they are frequently very naive and can't distinguish the important from the insignificant.

Anyway, thanks for the input. What I find interesting about the INTJ approach is that you guys don't seem to mind what you say in real life, i.e. in a group situation where facts are being discussed, you'll just say it how it is, easy peasy, and I find that highly admirable. But when it comes to online social aspects, there seems to be this big barrier of fear that stops you from daring to put your words out.
I don't think it's possible to generalize it like that.

·
Spam-I-am
13,604 Posts
Interesting!

lol I’m a firm believer of telling it like it is Face to face
I have no filter
If I can [and have] offend more than 1 person at a single setting than I have done my job
I never talk about someone behind their back
I’ll just tell them to their face

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
What for? You won't convince those who don't share your political views anyway.
It's not necessarily about convincing anyone, it's about informing people and letting them figure things out for themselves. The left has to fight against a vicious right wing media machine here in the UK, and information isn't just going to broadcast itself.

My brother is similar to me, if not even more prolific with his online activity. He's had people thank him for the information he's been providing, making them aware of things they didn't even know about.

Sure, it alienates some, and you obviously aren't ever going to win over a diehard opponent of your views, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I mean, newspapers and politicians across the world utilise social media for exactly the same purpose as I do in this regard.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
Hey INTJs, I have a question.

What's your attitude toward social media?

I've met two INTJs now who said they browse things like Facebook quite actively but never post their own stuff, for fear of embarrassment.

Is there some underlying INTJness going on here?
I used to have an active FB account since 2008 but then the platform went toxic with so many "sudden politicians" among friends. Those who do not read history books, do not understand constitution, do not know how organization work let alone as big as government, do not understand the complex intricacies and dynamics in society, but having the knack to tell everyone how things should be run best and be very pushy at it. Almost like a cult/religion.

So I quit, 2018. I keep all the records for personal archiving though. FB do let you have it.

No other social media exist apart from dormant linkedin now.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What is this? Does it have a mama & papa?
Lol, (Look at that smile)
Its an australian/Tasmanian echidna - short nose one, I think...........

<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

..........all the odd, strange, weird creatures on Earth are frum aussieville or Nuu Z lun.
jus sayin

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
What I find interesting about the INTJ approach
it's a good thing you're checking here to broaden your data-point set, because i don't think you'll get a good picture by extrapolating just from the two that you know. they both sound rather young.

i'm similar to @thetraveller: i have linkedin from professional necessity, but extremely minimally and i'm not 'on' anything else. i did make a facebook profile about a dozen years ago but then never used it at all. i don't even use linkedin unless i'm in the early 'agh blah guess i'd better start networking and this time try to do it like you mean it' stage of being without a contract. at those times i normally retrieve/refresh my password, maybe tweak my details a tiny bit, make a few half-assed overtures towards people i already know . . .and then go back to my natural state.

i think if i did use them my reasons for how i use them might be different from what they are. there'd be a 'how i use them' to talk about, if i did. but my primary reason for just plain not using them is simple enough: i cannot deal with the noise. even with linkedin, even as totally passive as my usage is, i get a new nag from them every couple of days. and that's not counting all the completely unsolicited b.s. i get from other platforms who should never have heard of me but who have scavenged my address from somewhere, and are now spamming me every 24 hours to 'join up' or 'see what i'm missing'. if i let it i'd have a perpetual low-level-rage pot simmering on a mental back burner somewhere over it. it's a form of pollution to me, like levels of ambient noise in the physical world.

if i were using it though, you're right that i wouldn't do like you do. it's more of a privacy thing than a 'fear'. my social 'circle' might not be as dense as some people's are, but it's probably just as diverse. i don't say everything to everyone i know in the real world either, so to me the broad net that social media seems to cast is contrary to how i inherently manage my social life.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Lol, (Look at that smile)
Its an australian/Tasmanian echidna - short nose one, I think...........
australian/Tasmanian echidna
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02D7VwpfkeQ6e5lhFzSRNa4P3nDfQ:1589129700351&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=australian/Tasmanian+echidna+image&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiz-am64anpAhURTd8KHXQEDyQQ7Al6BAgHECg&biw=1280&bih=551&dpr=1.5#imgrc=W71nUKLFLRWyPM

It must be. The one you show must be a female. The low hanging breast can plainly suckle two babies. But then I'm just guessing.

·
Registered
634 Posts

I've met two INTJs now who said they browse things like Facebook quite actively but never post their own stuff, for fear of embarrassment.

I created a Facebook account and added mostly family members and some acquaintances. Family members number more than acquaintances. I currently have 78 people on my 'friends' list, and only chat with about 5.

I only did so mostly to let the family members know that I am alive and breathing. It also prevents them from texting (or worse, calling) me. I 'like' and comment on very few posts (Mother's day, Father's day, Birthdays, etc.), while I mute others (FJs who bombard my feed with garbage).

I post very sparsely and randomly. Sometimes 2 posts in 1 week, sometimes 1 post in 2 months. I rarely have anything to say and/or share.

Regarding posting 'my own' stuff, yeah, it's embarrassing and/or it's nothing anyone outside of me needs to know. Nothing political or social, just personal.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
it's a good thing you're checking here to broaden your data-point set, because i don't think you'll get a good picture by extrapolating just from the two that you know. they both sound rather young.
What made you think they're young? One is about 29. The other is 37.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

I use social media to catch up on what's happening around esp with people that are important to me. For 3 years now, my schedule has been at its most hectic and I couldn't see friends, but I still want to know how they're doing. I consciously check on trends too because I care about how people perceive me.

Lately, I've been seeing opinions backed by zero research and minimal facts. Such opinions are invaluable to my causes right now. I browse through social media but I strictly filter what I read and what I post. The privacy clause of my life is heavy towards manipulative people. Most of the time, I don't want to be predictable (and influenced for the worse).

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Sure, it alienates some, and you obviously aren't ever going to win over a diehard opponent of your views, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I mean, newspapers and politicians across the world utilise social media for exactly the same purpose as I do in this regard.
THIS is exactly why I hate my newsfeed right now and why I've been unfollowing people.

Edit: It's quite easy to sway beliefs nowadays. I am very careful with how I influence others. If my premature remark sways even one person and I end up being wrong, this is unacceptable for me. I always want to see the whole picture and assess thoroughly instead of just state how I feel. The times I indulge in my freedom of speech was the times I ended up hating myself.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
THIS is exactly why I hate my newsfeed right now and why I've been unfollowing people.

Edit: It's quite easy to sway beliefs nowadays. I am very careful with how I influence others. If my premature remark sways even one person and I end up being wrong, this is unacceptable for me. I always want to see the whole picture and assess thoroughly instead of just state how I feel. The times I indulge in my freedom of speech was the times I ended up hating myself.
I don't mind stating opinions on things, particularly on politics because a lot of it is based emotions anyway. Most people vote for what they want, rather than what's logically best.

I think the most important thing is to be ready to accept being wrong. I don't know how INTJs approach or handle it, but for me it's just another form of learning.

Having said that, I very often add caveats such as "this is only my opinion", which at least helps allay any 'blame' for those who decide to take my words as absolute truth.

·
Registered
955 Posts

cant speak for anyone else but i was the doomsday paranoid guy when social media first became i thing. i hated it then i hated it now and i told all my friends and family not to start using it. aside from the datamining invasion of privacy. aside from all the 1984-esque real life affects. aside from ppl actually losing their jobs because of stuff they posted on their myspaces and facebooks.. i always saw the real danger of it being artificially injected.

i do hear a bit about people who basically have dead pages with only irl friends or family and acquaintances on their feeds but most ppl have hundreds or thousands of faceless masses with endless reels of "blah" being sent to them. aside from advertisements of the economical sort, its basically like ad campaigning for brainwaves in general. and it shows. some of the idiot brained logic or beliefs my family have spewed in the last 15 years i can like, immediately tell they've seen or heard somewhere online and thought it was "reasonable" or "clever" and repeated it. worst of all is nonsense that passes for truth.

and in every case you hear about and point to as "those people are ridiculous" or "those people are animals" im seeing this old adage:
in there somewhere.

again, im fully aware im the paranoid guy and the worst of it is im both too lazy and too stubborn to dig "deeper" to factually tear apart exactly what is horribly wrong with social media, but at least im utterly miserable knowing people are too dumb to understand said facts even if you present them matter-of-factly :frustrating:

we're creatures of habit. and social media has provided an astoundingly unhealthy habit that sits deep in the recesses of your mind like a ticking timebomb attached to your emotional wellbeing waiting to go off "whenever"

thats how i saw it then, thats how i see it now, and nothing related to social media in the past xx years would ever change my mind. the 1 or 2 instances of "kid being bullied halfway around the world, backed by celebrities on social media!!" is not even comparable to a drop in the bucket of "xx stalked irl from facebook" or "xx fired from company for video taken" or "xx and xx divorced over twitter" or "... honestly like i said really too lazy to go on with it. you get my longwinded point.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
@HAL, I forgot to ask. If voicing out your opinion is the goal, would writing on a journal suffice? Or is there a need for an audience?

I ask because whenever I feel so strongly about an issue, writing on a journal or privately messaging friends is an option. The fear of being mistaken is often not the reason that I don't post.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
@HAL, I forgot to ask. If voicing out your opinion is the goal, would writing on a journal suffice? Or is there a need for an audience?

I ask because whenever I feel so strongly about an issue, writing on a journal or privately messaging friends is an option. The fear of being mistaken is often not the reason that I don't post.
It depends. I often do use it as a platform to say things that I don't have to balls to say in front of a real group of people. So it does need an audience (though I don't care at all if nobody sees it). I'm the online version of that guy with a megaphone declaring that the end is nigh.

I talk to friends about the same subjects too, but it isn't really possible to forge changes in society if you keep things just among your friends.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Because their aversion is fear of 'embarrassment'
Maybe I used the wrong word. It isn't necessarily fear or embarrassment, but rather a feeling that social media is not a thing worth immersing oneself into.

Other responses here seem to have highlighted a similar disdain for social media, so I do think there is at least a small element of INTJness going on here.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
Maybe I used the wrong word. It isn't necessarily fear or embarrassment, but rather a feeling that social media is not a thing worth immersing oneself into.

Other responses here seem to have highlighted a similar disdain for social media, so I do think there is at least a small element of INTJness going on here.
I think intj look at some things, in this case social media more in utilitarian way. Things that they have to instead of needs to. They are not really attached to it.

Infact when i reflect to this i found that intj is actually loyal people, they are not easily swayed and shifted to other thing/people. But they also do not have difficulty in separating when the utility is not there anymore, when the costs outweigh the benefits.

I found it weird but I don't long for my time in facebook despite having spent a decade there. At all.

Sent sans PC

26381 - 26400 of 26421 Posts