Personality Cafe banner

26401 - 26420 of 26426 Posts

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I think intj look at some things, in this case social media more in utilitarian way. Things that they have to instead of needs to. They are not really attached to it.

Infact when i reflect to this i found that intj is actually loyal people, they are not easily swayed and shifted to other thing/people. But they also do not have difficulty in separating when the utility is not there anymore, when the costs outweigh the benefits.

I found it weird but I don't long for my time in facebook despite having spent a decade there. At all.

Sent sans PC
I agree with this in many ways.

I admit I use Facebook way too much at the moment (thanks, covid-19!), but when it's not there I have absolutely no longing for it whatsoever. If my account were entirely eradicated, I wouldn't even care about all the photos and videos that were lost. The really important stuff is on my computer anyway.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey INTJs, I have a question.

What's your attitude toward social media?

I've met two INTJs now who said they browse things like Facebook quite actively but never post their own stuff, for fear of embarrassment.

Is there some underlying INTJness going on here?
I started with Myspace, when it was fully customizable. About six friends and I all had pages and would keep in touch that way, share our creative works or ponderings with one another, etc. when we were in high school. That was the only time I really enjoyed it.

When social media started growing in popularity and changed platforms to Facebook, it struck me as rather disingenuous and quickly became as exhausting and annoying as real-life 'crowded party' situations.

Now social media is a complete cluster, and I hate that I'm expected to know what is going on with 135 different people by following their pages where they get upset at me when I 'miss an invitation' and must tell them I don't look at Facebook (and that makes me the jerk). I still have a Facebook account, "for emergencies" when someone refuses to tell/show me something and I must go see their post on Facebook. Every post that I'd care about (there are a few) is buried underneath such a heap of garbage that it is too much work for me to deal with that cognitive load of tuning out the unnecessary information to find the one piece that is useful or relevant.

As a psychological experiment, though, it is interesting to see how it has evolved and developed over time. It is a tool for people to maintain a sense of 'tribe' when social life is heavily fragmented and distant in physical spaces, and in ideological and emotional spaces, as well. The irony is that it is a double-edge sword, encouraging further division and feelings of isolation.

Edit: Full disclaimer, however - I do exploit social media for commercial purposes under a business account. :laughing: That's a no brainer.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
but Zuckerberg wanted to have my phone number
IIRC, I used the number I had when growing up. Still live in the general vicinity so my number would still have the same prefix.

but then the platform went toxic with so many "sudden politicians" among friends
I either scroll past that garbage, or if they post something toxic on page in response to something I've posted, I'll delete their post. I make it very clear that I don't suffer trolls well, and that if they post something nasty/mean, I'll yank it.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
IIRC, I used the number I had when growing up. Still live in the general vicinity so my number would still have the same prefix.

I either scroll past that garbage, or if they post something toxic on page in response to something I've posted, I'll delete their post. I make it very clear that I don't suffer trolls well, and that if they post something nasty/mean, I'll yank it.
I can stand internet trolls alright. This place have many :skeleton:

Yet I can's stand my actual friend/acquaintance turn into one. I always tried to dissuade them, not really to change their opinion because definitely it will be rather futile so I kind of only begging them to have some kind restraint and moderation, like being careful with their strong words and convictions, to spare themselves some respect toward each other.

That'd be all I have asked and still rarely succeed. It's like mind virus.

Turned out I am not having difficulty to slam door to most of them. It's kind of blessing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Turned out I am not having difficulty to slam door to most of them. It's kind of blessing.
Similarly... Social media was useful to discover those who were truly interested in being friends. When I stopped using it personally in my early/mid twenties, I considered the people that were willing to stay in contact other ways to be 'real' friends.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Yet I can's stand my actual friend/acquaintance turn into one.
Used to walk with ENFP ex-colleague after work, weather-permitting, when I was in my previous dept. Anyway, she got into some hot water with the administration over something unrelated to our walks, and my super at the time (S5 for those keeping track, ESTJ) was like, "I know she's your friend, but..."
Nope. I stopped him right then and there. My exact words were, "I consider her a friendly acquaintance, but she is not my friend. If she warrants being disciplined because of XYZ, then she brought it on herself, and even if she were my friend, if she did XYZ, then again... she brought it on herself".
Everyone hated him... except me. I must be a weirdo.
Needless to say, when evaluation time came around, I got a 5/5 in that category of "professionalism". Well... whattdya know.
Takes one to know one, I guess.

Similarly... Social media was useful to discover those who were truly interested in being friends. When I stopped using it personally in my early/mid twenties, I considered the people that were willing to stay in contact other ways to be 'real' friends.
I went and did a purge a couple of years back and sliced my "friends" list in half. I really have no use for people using me to bolster their number of "friends" to some ridiculous level (like 2000-something.. rly?!) and not actually communicating with me at least occasionally. I usually try to keep mine around 150 but it's starting to creep up again, due to networking connections, etc.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Any Trekkies, as in Star Trek out there?

<<<<<<--------------take it frum a koon!

I have an original never used movie theater foil/metal poster from Star Trek 1, "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" 1979. I'm the original owner, if you will; have had this thing for over 40 fucking years and I'm guna get rid of it. Its in mint preemo condition might even still have the original plastic wrap . Its a window poster meant to be displayed in the Movie theater sidewalk windows. 18" x 24" I think but I'll check.

I got the thing when the movie was makin the rounds back in '79. Younger brother of buddy of mine worked at the local cinema house & would get us in free. I was back in the States, on military leave, at the time and he was putting them in the display windows and had 3 extras. He's like you want one ? Otherwise I'm throwin these ones away. I was like yeah, I'll take one and this fukin thing has been with me ever since; since 1979.

I don't need it, dont give a fuk about it and am gettin rid of a bunch of shit from my storage unit and this is included. So if your interested let me know.
I'll dig it out and post a pik if anyone gives a shit.
Jonny Koon Luzsha baybee

26401 - 26420 of 26426 Posts