Personality Cafe banner

26421 - 26435 of 26435 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Hey INTJs, I have a question.

What's your attitude toward social media?

I've met two INTJs now who said they browse things like Facebook quite actively but never post their own stuff, for fear of embarrassment.

Is there some underlying INTJness going on here?
My attitude toward social media has been ever-evolving, honestly. Six years ago and earlier, I generally despised it and only used it to keep in touch with people I cared about. I didn't post and kept as much information about myself private as possible, save for a profile picture or two.

Three years ago or so, in the course of my efforts to develop myself personally, I read some books on personal branding and decided to build out a LinkedIn profile and polish it up a bit, putting myself out there more. Within a few weeks of putting up that profile, I got a job offer to the company I'm currently with.

From there, I have really polished up my profile and now post content fairly regularly and have for some time now. I'm more engaged with social media as a way to generate sales leads, cultivate a personal brand and awareness within the community I serve, and to deliver content to the people in my personal network.

I posted a video not too long back but I despise them personally. It's out of my comfort zone, though I'll be delivering a webinar soon for my work and will probably get into this more. It's still an area of discomfort but I imagine that will change within the next year or so.

So, my relationship with social media has been ever-evolving. I've definitely changed my attitude toward it but approach it in a highly utilitarian way. I see it as a valuable tool for sales, marketing, branding, and networking.

(As an afterthought: I never avoided posting out of embarrassment, I just preferred having conversations with people over shoving thoughts into the void. Posting seemed to be an activity that was fairly meaningless--one might as well by writing into a journal or something and that's not something I really do either.)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts

I've met two INTJs now who said they browse things like Facebook quite actively but never post their own stuff, for fear of embarrassment.

No to being embarrassed. Nowadays - to me - social media isn't really about connection.

I had to sign up for FB for college and didn't really care for it because it came across as a place to stunt rather than connect w/people. It was still new, so college kids made a game of amassing "friends" rather than actually making friends. After some time, I deleted a bunch of folks and stopped posting personal stuff. Then, a friend that I knew irl who lived across the street from me sent a strongly worded PM telling me to post pics of myself and where I go because "sis, I need an update on your life"

??? I told her to just call or ask me in person, but she never responded. :D

So from there, I deleted the profile and created a dummy one for login/sweepstakes purposes. I figured that the folks who care about me will call/text.

Loved Myspace and Bolt back in the day. That was real communication with friends and people you wanted to meet. I did have a twitter, but I never posted my face or anything I'm doing, just current events and live reactions. Currently, my cat has an instagram. I upload cute pics whenever I feel like it and follow artists that I like, but don't really scroll through anything. It's very tedious and exhausting.

·
Registered
548 Posts

I treated Facebook the same way. Once I joined an INTJ forum and started actually posting opinions, I was banned in short order. No conservatives allowed on FB.

Now the only social media I'm on is YouTube. So far, they delete my posts but they haven't banned me, probably because I don't post any videos. If I started posting videos, I would most likely get banned there, too.

I can't join Tindr now because they want you to be on FB, and I can't verify my account some other places because they want to verify you through FB. Fuck Facebook, fuck Zuckerberg, fuck Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
INTP or else
13,888 Posts
I treated Facebook the same way. Once I joined an INTJ forum and started actually posting opinions, I was banned in short order. No conservatives allowed on FB.
Were you banned for your opinions? Were you really banned for conservativism? Or were you banned because you violated some FB rule?

Now the only social media I'm on is YouTube. So far, they delete my posts but they haven't banned me, probably because I don't post any videos. If I started posting videos, I would most likely get banned there, too.
I don't want you to be banned. Would it be because it's a video or because of the content of the video?

I can't join Tindr now because they want you to be on FB, and I can't verify my account some other places because they want to verify you through FB. Fuck Facebook, fuck Zuckerberg, fuck Silicon Valley.
It's not your fault. It must be that the grapes are sour.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Were you banned for your opinions? Were you really banned for conservativism? Or were you banned because you violated some FB rule?

I don't want you to be banned. Would it be because it's a video or because of the content of the video?

It's not your fault. It must be that the grapes are sour.
Here's an extensive list of conservatives and conservative news sites banned from various social media platforms:

There's no distinct difference between being banned for being conservative and being banned for violating some FB or YouTube rule because the rules themselves are based on political viewpoints you're not allowed to have. In YouTube's case, you're no longer allowed to have the opinion that biological men are not women. You're no longer allowed to have the opinion that Islam is a dangerous cult of death. You're no longer allowed to have the opinion that men and women are different, that blacks and whites are different, that IQ is an inherited trait, that cultures are not equal, etc., etc. Major name conservatives like Ben Shapiro and Dennis Prager manage to keep their channels alive, but many many lesser known conservatives have just been banned outright with no recourse. Reddit essentially took over r/TheDonald from its moderators and kicked several of them off the site completely. Twitter is a left-wing hellhole where no conservative opinions are tolerated. Even the very famous actor and Twitter user James Woods was banned even though he had two million followers, and he isn't that controversial. Diamond & Silk, two black women who came out in support of Donald Trump in 2016 and have become famous in their own right, were banned from Facebook for "hate speech". Facebook recently instituted a new algorithm that hides Donald Trump's posts from viewers, and he's not even conservative. PayPal is working with the SPLC to ban organizations it calls "hate groups" from using PayPal as a service, including some very mainstream conservative Christian organizations. Brandon Straka, the homosexual New Yorker who started the #walkaway movement, was banned from Facebook. Conservative lawmakers have found their Twitter posts shadow-banned, the tweets go out but no one sees them. Infowars was banned from Apple, Google, and Facebook on the same day. No, it's definitely not the case that these people are all just violating the rules and not being banned for being conservative, they are being banned precisely because they are conservative, and the rules are constructed in such a way that you can't express conservative views without violating their rules. Don't think gays should get married? Violation of the rules. Think illegal aliens are illegal aliens and not "undocumented immigrants"? Violation of the rules. Think Western Civilization is superior? Violation of the rules. Conservative opinions are themselves forbidden from these social media platforms. Here, too, I already have one or two strikes against me for expressing forbidden opinions. We're well on our way down the slippery slope of censorship hell, where only "right" opinions are allowed to be expressed and "wrongthink" is banned, even with a 1st Amendment in place.

·
Registered
INTP/ENTP. Type 5, 594, ILE.
154 Posts
1. Are you all hard-working and highly driven to achieve?
2. For what purpose, if yes?
3. What's your opinion on Elon Musk, who I assume is of your type?
4. What's your biggest fear?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I can't speak for all INTJ's, but I can speak for myself.

1. Eh, depends on what it is. I'd say I'm more goal-oriented and driven to achieve specific goals. If something isn't important to me, I won't work hard at it or I just won't do it at all. Washing dishes comes to mind.
2. Access to women. The better off you are, the better developed you are, the more whatever you are, the better quality women you can attract.
3. Interesting character, has accomplished a lot to admire, but tends to take the same uber-liberal views of most of the uber-rich, so I don't care for him in that regard.
4. Hard to say, but probably my biggest fear is dying without having accomplished my goals. I'm getting older and still have a lot of goals unfinished, like getting married and having a family, so I'm feeling the pressure.

Reactions: T.K

·
Registered
INTP/ENTP. Type 5, 594, ILE.
154 Posts
Are you surprised by how many other types of people wish they were more like an INTJ, or is it a simple fact you're top shit?

There's even a thread on the ENTP forum site, about INTJs awesomeness. Which I approve of. (y)

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
1. I can't speak for others but I'm personally a work-aholic. I work 60+ hours a week and thoroughly enjoy my job. On my off-time, I'm typically reading or trying to learn new things.

2. Because I find it enjoyable and personally fulfilling. I also get ancy if I'm not throwing myself obsessively into something.

3. I think he's interesting and eccentric but I don't know enough about him to have very positive or negative opinions.

4. Losing my wife. That's about the only thing I would be concerned with.

Are you surprised by how many other types of people wish they were more like an INTJ, or is it a simple fact you're top shit?

There's even a thread on the ENTP forum site, about INTJs awesomeness. Which I approve of. (y)
Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. It's no doubt that there's an esteem around being an INTJ but I'm not so sure it's warranted. Again, everyone's different but not inherently more or less valuable in this regard.

·
Registered
548 Posts

Can you link us? I'm always in favor of being appreciated, I get so little of it in real life.

Reactions: mymind
26421 - 26435 of 26435 Posts