Personality Cafe banner

901 - 920 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Nothing can go wrong. Can cause some serious gullibility-issues tbh when commited… Like, "No, that can happen but it won't happen so I keep going."

Simplyfied:
If seeing A -> B -> C -> D,
then possibly E -> F -> G ->H … we speculate and plan for and expect and live by.
Then is followed by Q and an L. It can cause some disheartening mindfuck.
So an unshakable conviction in one's assessment of things?

Reactions: pwowq

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
That's how the Ni in the ISTP manifest. A strong positive conviction.
Oh that is just not fair. Ne is a goddamn dark horse, it can either make you into a creative maverick or paralyze you depending on what you couple it with... You guys are lucky.

Basically if you want answers, don't count on Ne, but if you want more questions, it'll drown you in them.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Could you write and realize a short movie like "Come Swim" on Youtube by Kristen Stewart?

Or the level of abstraction is too high to match an ISTP creation before thirties? Try to be objective in your answer.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w6
937 Posts
Could you write and realize a short movie like "Come Swim" on Youtube by Kristen Stewart?

Or the level of abstraction is too high to match an ISTP creation before thirties? Try to be objective in your answer.
To that level of directing, effects, and acting quality? Probably not, just for practical reasons like I haven't had any experience directing and I probably wouldn't be able to source a good actor, or the money to pay anyone's wages.

The writing part is what I'm struggling with.
I think that I would be able to take someone else's bare-bones idea and build on it, but generating a brand new idea which has never been used before would be very difficult.
There were also some cuts in that short movie which were very innovative, like him falling backwards from the mirror in his bathroom to sitting at his desk. I don't know if I would be able to come up with new things like that which would actually look good.

For me, executing the ideas wouldn't be as challenging as coming up with those ideas in the first place.
Not to say that directing would be easy for me, but that ideation of that kind is very difficult for me.

I don't think that the level of abstraction is too high for me to understand, I actually crave media which makes me think in abstract terms, but it's always about taking those abstractions and refining them, cutting away what I see as the unnecessary fluff, rather than generating my own completely new ideas.

·
Registered
ISTP
1,204 Posts
Oh that is just not fair. Ne is a goddamn dark horse, it can either make you into a creative maverick or paralyze you depending on what you couple it with... You guys are lucky.
Lel.

I haven't been able to find this cartoon again, but there's the dude building a ramp and some sort of cart, calculating angles and speed and height and whatnot, and then goes to cart-jump over a shed.

The end result is getting firmly stuck crashing dead centre into the shed.

And the comment is, "But principally it would have worked if ..."

That is the kind of conviction, Necrofantasia. Counter-factual insistence on something in midst of real-world evidence. So I guess it's cool, but sadly that strong positive conviction is basically random as to whether it's actually true.

@Solve Et Coagula: You'd probably get more answers if people didn't have to watch a video to understand a question. Way too lazy for that. I've been into creative writing since I was 15 and produce shit that at least beats the worst you can buy. No idea if anything of that would be abstract enough for you.

·
Banned
24 Posts
You'd probably get more answers if people didn't have to watch a video to understand a question. Way too lazy for that. I've been into creative writing since I was 15 and produce shit that at least beats the worst you can buy. No idea if anything of that would be abstract enough for you.

Have an example?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Lel.

I haven't been able to find this cartoon again, but there's the dude building a ramp and some sort of cart, calculating angles and speed and height and whatnot, and then goes to cart-jump over a shed.

The end result is getting firmly stuck crashing dead centre into the shed.

And the comment is, "But principally it would have worked if ..."

That is the kind of conviction, Necrofantasia. Counter-factual insistence on something in midst of real-world evidence. So I guess it's cool, but sadly that strong positive conviction is basically random as to whether it's actually true.
It is still a source of motivation to Do. The absence of this is pretty much the main curse of any INTP's existence.
People give shit to feelers and sensors quite a bit, but when you don't have that bit of irrationality to break your inertia, you have very little will to Do Anything, as rationality pushes you not to try by pointing out all the ways you can fail . This is why NTJs are stereotyped as overachievers and world movers. They have that same drive from Ni

You don't land any shots you don't take.

Reactions: Northern Lights

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Hey.

What is up?

I'm still working but pretty much stuck at home otherwise. I have itchyfoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been married to an ISTP for going on 19 years (together for 26 years). I have explained MBTI to him to try to get him to understand where I am coming from.

Lately, he is just starting to get on my and the rest of the family's nerves more and more... what is your advice on the following:

When I talk to him, he almost immediately picks up his phone and when I ask him to listen to me, he ignores me until I walk away and then says..where are you going?

Also, he will make these sarcastic comments at the end of a conversation, basically trying to get the last word type of thing. Which sometimes just starts an argument, so I will ask him to keep his comments to himself. Now when he does this, I will just respond with "rude." (attempting to draw attention to these comments so he will stop) and sometimes he ignores me, but other times, he says, "yes you are," which starts an argument.

There are other times several hours after an argument that I had felt hurt by and still stewing over trying to figure out how to avoid in the future...he will try to talk to me or hug me as if nothing happened. Other times he will apologize, only to immediately say that he needs my help with something, so now his apologies don't seem genuine.

Our INFP teenage daughter is uncomfortable around him because of the fake persona that he takes on when he is around her, especially after he has just argued with me and said some mean statements about me or others. He also coddles her like she is an infant and when she mentions this or anything else she doesn't like, he makes it into a sarcastic idea. Saying things like, "oh, sorry, I forgot I can't ask you that," OR "oops, I am standing too close to you, sorry about that."

And lastly, whenever he is looking for something, he expects everyone in the house to drop everything and assist in the search, even if we have no idea what the item he is looking for looks like or where he probably left it.

Is there anything I can do as an INFJ to keep these aggravating quirks at bay?

TIA

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #912
I have been married to an ISTP for going on 19 years (together for 26 years). I have explained MBTI to him to try to get him to understand where I am coming from.

Lately, he is just starting to get on my and the rest of the family's nerves more and more... what is your advice on the following:

When I talk to him, he almost immediately picks up his phone and when I ask him to listen to me, he ignores me until I walk away and then says..where are you going?

Also, he will make these sarcastic comments at the end of a conversation, basically trying to get the last word type of thing. Which sometimes just starts an argument, so I will ask him to keep his comments to himself. Now when he does this, I will just respond with "rude." (attempting to draw attention to these comments so he will stop) and sometimes he ignores me, but other times, he says, "yes you are," which starts an argument.

There are other times several hours after an argument that I had felt hurt by and still stewing over trying to figure out how to avoid in the future...he will try to talk to me or hug me as if nothing happened. Other times he will apologize, only to immediately say that he needs my help with something, so now his apologies don't seem genuine.

Our INFP teenage daughter is uncomfortable around him because of the fake persona that he takes on when he is around her, especially after he has just argued with me and said some mean statements about me or others. He also coddles her like she is an infant and when she mentions this or anything else she doesn't like, he makes it into a sarcastic idea. Saying things like, "oh, sorry, I forgot I can't ask you that," OR "oops, I am standing too close to you, sorry about that."

And lastly, whenever he is looking for something, he expects everyone in the house to drop everything and assist in the search, even if we have no idea what the item he is looking for looks like or where he probably left it.

Is there anything I can do as an INFJ to keep these aggravating quirks at bay?

TIA
This is how we can get if we haven't been listened to in a very long time. He seems suppressed.
His 'aggravating quirks' may be a reaction to something that is aggravating him. Ask him what is up, tell him you are willing to listen anytime, and that you will promise to actually listen to him without responding. Then give him space to think about it and get back to you. And then actually listen to what he says. He may come up with something surprising.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello ISTPs,
I have a question for you.
I’m at the end of my tether with my business partner, how do I get him to LISTEN and think long term strategy? I’m an ENTJ and I can’t handle this fly by the seat of your pants, make decisions as we go, live in the moment attitude.
We need to be implementing long term plans and proper structures and systems but I can’t get him to sit down to listen & think & most importantly to DISCUSS. He barely bloody talks!!
He’s openly admitted he struggles with trying to envision things years down the road. I don’t know how to overcome this but I’m sure there is a way!?
He’s absolutely brilliant at the technical side of the business, but I’m beating my head against the wall when it comes to management and operations.
Please help me save my sanity & my business partnership.
Thanks.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
Hello ISTPs,
I’m at the end of my tether with my business partner, how do I get him to LISTEN and think long term strategy? I’m an ENTJ and I can’t handle this fly by the seat of your pants, make decisions as we go, live in the moment attitude.
We need to be implementing long term plans and proper structures and systems but I can’t get him to sit down to listen & think & most importantly to DISCUSS. He barely bloody talks!!
He’s openly admitted he struggles with trying to envision things years down the road. I don’t know how to overcome this but I’m sure there is a way!?
He’s absolutely brilliant at the technical side of the business, but I’m beating my head against the wall when it comes to management and operations.
Thanks.
I absolutely hate to be that guy, but honestly? You don't. You essentially hired a technician and are expecting him to perform outside his designated role as a technician. You do you plan. Run the business how you want to run it. You come up with the goals and end game. And then tell him to get you there. If he has any problems or suggestions, he'll tell you after you give him his goal. But for now? He's probably too busy on the technical side to care.

It's rare that you'll find someone that's both a good technician, and a good business owner. The two are almost at odds with each other. That's not an ISTP thing. That's just... life. I mean, look at Ben Carson. Fantastic cardio surgeon or whatever it was he is. Recognized top of his field. Absolute shit leader and knocked out of the primaries in favour of Trump. Or Steve Jobs vs Steve Wozniak. Just don't go full Steve Jobs and fuck him over, and you'll be aight.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hello ISTPs,
Thanks.
What exactly is the problem? Being strategic is in your wheelhouse, not his. What are you needing from him?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you. I’ll keep some of that in mind. @HGy @Agent Washintub

It’s not that I need him to be strategic or overly involved in the management or operations of the business but he is 50/50 partnership and I do need him to sign off on quite a lot. I also need his technical knowledge.

There are three main problems.

One is I do my job and he jumps in with something completely irrelevant or a problem he see’s that needs fixing NOW, but it actually doesn’t or some other steps have to come first. He will get shitty that I can’t drop the strategic or financial plans to address what he’s raising (equipment for an example) he thinks the crews need some equipment. That’s fine, we can get more equipment but not before all the proper financial checks and budgeting have been performed to ensure we aren’t going into the red. I can adjust more pull money from another area, but I won’t order equipment until this step is performed. He doesn’t get that.

Also, I’ve made it clear that actually ordering the equipment is not my function. We have hired someone to coordinate and manage equipment. He still thinks this is my role. I don’t have the time, this is why we hired someone!

The second issue there is quite a bit of the management and operations that I can’t do as I’m not the SME. He is. And I can’t do my work properly if we can’t communicate on technical issues. Again, he just tells me there is a problem, for example, an employee has done his work wrong. He needs to explain to me how this happened, what the employees did wrong, the process to fix it etc. I then make the decision around terminating or retraining staff, mitigating potential losses and damage control/ PR.

The other issue is again, he is the SME, we need to improve and refine our processes, procedures and manuals. I can see gaping holes in what I’ve created but I can’t refine it without his knowledge. And he’s just not interested. He just wants to be on site doing the work and complaining that everyone else is useless. But it’s not their fault, we aren’t giving them the best tools, resources and starting points.

It’s incredibly frustrating. I’m desperately hoping that maybe there is some tactic or trick I can use to get him to engage with me on all of the above. Otherwise this will go the way of Jobs and Wozniak. I’ll have to force him out with a takeover and promote one of the seniors in the team to manager and become the sole partner.

I don’t want to do this. I like my business partner. We’ve known each other a long time. But I will.

·
Registered
639 Posts

It’s not that I need him to be strategic or overly involved in the management or operations of the business but he is 50/50 partnership and I do need him to sign off on quite a lot. I also need his technical knowledge.

One is I do my job and he jumps in with something completely irrelevant or a problem he see’s that needs fixing NOW, but it actually doesn’t or some other steps have to come first. He will get shitty that I can’t drop the strategic or financial plans to address what he’s raising (equipment for an example) he thinks the crews need some equipment. That’s fine, we can get more equipment but not before all the proper financial checks and budgeting have been performed to ensure we aren’t going into the red. I can adjust more pull money from another area, but I won’t order equipment until this step is performed. He doesn’t get that.

Also, I’ve made it clear that actually ordering the equipment is not my function. We have hired someone to coordinate and manage equipment. He still thinks this is my role. I don’t have the time, this is why we hired someone!

The second issue there is quite a bit of the management and operations that I can’t do as I’m not the SME. He is. And I can’t do my work properly if we can’t communicate on technical issues. Again, he just tells me there is a problem, for example, an employee has done his work wrong. He needs to explain to me how this happened, what the employees did wrong, the process to fix it etc. I then make the decision around terminating or retraining staff, mitigating potential losses and damage control/ PR.

The other issue is again, he is the SME, we need to improve and refine our processes, procedures and manuals. I can see gaping holes in what I’ve created but I can’t refine it without his knowledge. And he’s just not interested. He just wants to be on site doing the work and complaining that everyone else is useless. But it’s not their fault, we aren’t giving them the best tools, resources and starting points.

It’s incredibly frustrating. I’m desperately hoping that maybe there is some tactic or trick I can use to get him to engage with me on all of the above. Otherwise this will go the way of Jobs and Wozniak. I’ll have to force him out with a takeover and promote one of the seniors in the team to manager and become the sole partner.

I don’t want to do this. I like my business partner. We’ve known each other a long time. But I will.
1. List all the functions and tasks that you don't want to do and want the ISTP to do.
2. Assign that list of functions and tasks to a 3rd person.
3. Give that person 1/3 partnership.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Thank you for providing more information.

You said:

" I do my job and he jumps in with something completely irrelevant or a problem he see’s that needs fixing NOW, but it actually doesn’t or some other steps have to come first. He will get shitty that I can’t drop the strategic or financial plans to address what he’s raising (equipment for an example) he thinks the crews need some equipment. That’s fine, we can get more equipment but not before all the proper financial checks and budgeting have been performed to ensure we aren’t going into the red. I can adjust more pull money from another area, but I won’t order equipment until this step is performed. He doesn’t get that."

Good grief. You are in the wrong here and I hope I can explain it so you see it from a different perspective. I empathize with you because I've been in your shoes but hear me out.

There is no tactic to get him to communicate better with you. He IS communicating with you, but it's not what you want to hear so you are dismissing him. You are not listening!! A big part of communication is not just talking, its listening.

You need to approve the finances for the new equiptment and you should trust his judgment on that and get it done asap. Maybe he's taking that request directly to you because it is important and time sensitive and he knows it will take too long to wait around for the approval through the person in charge of those things. You are dropping the ball on this one, not him.

Now on to the other issue you mentioned about his role as SME. That is a problem.

First thing to keep in mind is that he is not holding out on you or withholding the info you need. He sounds unqualified for the position he holds and you should have seen this coming lol. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun but the difference was it wasn't a business partner so the dynamics are different.

I agree that you need to replace him with someone qualified to do the job. But you said you like him and he is your business partner so I would try to keep him in a position where you can maintain the partnership. Is there a reason you can't just change his role? He must add some value or you wouldn't have partnered with him.

Be tactful when you speak to him and ask him what he thinks. It sucks that it was able to get to this point. Let him know what he brings to the table and figure out if he still deserves a seat at the table. You could make a huge mistake by pushing him out. Approach it as a rearrangement. I have a gut feeling you're going to let this explode. Maintain control and respect for yourself and your partner. I understand your frustration, trust me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for providing more information.

You said:

" I do my job and he jumps in with something completely irrelevant or a problem he see’s that needs fixing NOW, but it actually doesn’t or some other steps have to come first. He will get shitty that I can’t drop the strategic or financial plans to address what he’s raising (equipment for an example) he thinks the crews need some equipment. That’s fine, we can get more equipment but not before all the proper financial checks and budgeting have been performed to ensure we aren’t going into the red. I can adjust more pull money from another area, but I won’t order equipment until this step is performed. He doesn’t get that."

Good grief. You are in the wrong here and I hope I can explain it so you see it from a different perspective. I empathize with you because I've been in your shoes but hear me out.

There is no tactic to get him to communicate better with you. He IS communicating with you, but it's not what you want to hear so you are dismissing him. You are not listening!! A big part of communication is not just talking, its listening.

You need to approve the finances for the new equiptment and you should trust his judgment on that and get it done asap. Maybe he's taking that request directly to you because it is important and time sensitive and he knows it will take too long to wait around for the approval through the person in charge of those things. You are dropping the ball on this one, not him.

Now on to the other issue you mentioned about his role as SME. That is a problem.

First thing to keep in mind is that he is not holding out on you or withholding the info you need. He sounds unqualified for the position he holds and you should have seen this coming lol. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun but the difference was it wasn't a business partner so the dynamics are different.

I agree that you need to replace him with someone qualified to do the job. But you said you like him and he is your business partner so I would try to keep him in a position where you can maintain the partnership. Is there a reason you can't just change his role? He must add some value or you wouldn't have partnered with him.

Be tactful when you speak to him and ask him what he thinks. It sucks that it was able to get to this point. Let him know what he brings to the table and figure out if he still deserves a seat at the table. You could make a huge mistake by pushing him out. Approach it as a rearrangement. I have a gut feeling you're going to let this explode. Maintain control and respect for yourself and your partner. I understand your frustration, trust me.
Responded in the private chat.

901 - 920 of 920 Posts