I'd feel incompetent.
Said result won't be homogeneous.
Perfectionistish.
I might feel obliged.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I hate asking for help.

Whether it's for classwork, opening a stubborn bottle, or even bleeding profusely from a fatal wound, I just won't ask for help... For some reason, I think that having to ask will show others that I am incompetent. That will not do for me! And I also trust myself more than others, so why should I go to them?

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
If I was hit by a car I wouldn't ask for help, I would drag myself to the hospital.

Who needs help when you're Leonid Rogozov.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I work with what I have until either 1) I have a deadline to meet (which I may decide to not meet if the parties involved are jerkoffs) or 2) I can't do it alone such that I really need to ask for help.

Quite often, I have to do a double take to proof check another persons' assistance... if it becomes too redundant and mundane, I just let it pass.

There are higher up jerks that dismiss the proofcheck and push the modifications forward. If something breaks, blame the person it falls back on... if I ask for help and don't check my portion of the work, it falls back on me. I learned multiple times the hard way to not have anyone else get involved.

They let go of the team members I trust and promoted the people who know nothing at lesser pay to take over their spot. Baffles the fuck out of me why they do this. If they're that stingy, they shouldn't be able to afford paid vacations for going to view seminars for random shit we don't need this year.

Ugh... gets my blood boiling even to think and explain this.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If I can, I prefer to do thing myself, but I'll rather ask for help than not getting the job done because of my ego. I can't and don't need to be good at everything. If I have a friend that's good at something I'm bad at, I'll learn how to do that thing way quicker if he help me than if I waste my time by myself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I do not ask for assistance if I can possibly keep from it. I'll even reject offered help. I feel like I'd be as incompetent as those people who ask a billion questions after not paying attention. It's also a confidence thing. Not having to ask for help, having some sense, and being able to figure out life on my own are often the only personal victories I experience. I need them to feel like I am a competent human being.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Do you guys to ask others for help?

I don't.

Reasons:
I'd feel incompetent.
I might feel obliged.
I'd say it's mostly these two (maybe with a side order of that weird-ass INTP version of perfectionism), but I have had to suck it up and ask for help. I *hate* being indebted to people, I much prefer it when I've put in more than I've taken out.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It depends on the situation, but generally I see no reason not to ask somebody for help if you need it. Whenever people refuse my help with something, I think it makes them inefficient. I view myself in the same light. The exception is when it's something I can do, but not very well. I need to learn how to do some things on my own, but again, that's due to efficiency.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Yes, I ask for help all of the time and it doesn't bother me, it just so happens that all of my help comes from "Google", but that's an entirely different story.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate asking for help because it makes me feel incompetent.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
often if I'm doing a task, I have mapped out in my head the quickest way to get it done and then I go into autopilot. Often people asking for help, unless they are on the same wavelength, are going to distract me asking questions, or not doing it the way I wanted and I'll have to stop and explain it. It can end up taking longer.

If I can give them a project that I know they can do without interrupting my flow, I will do it.

EDIT:
I also agree with the 'makes me feel incompetent' comments, but sometimes the work is menial and that doesn't apply

·
Registered
823 Posts
I hate asking for help for the following reasons:

1. I want to figure it out myself (I dont like thinking I'm not smart enough to understand it)
2. People typically cant help (in an academic context)
3. Nobody ever explains it in my context/ I think differently than the other person
4. I dont want that person to think they're smarter than me
5. I dont want to impose on other people

Lossa reasons

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
What kind of help are we asking for here? Because I often have to ask for health with college algebra and also need Spanish tutoring for my college classes as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Do you guys to ask others for help?

I don't.

Reasons:
If others can do it, I can do it.
Others won't do a great job.
I'd feel incompetent.
Said result won't be homogeneous.
Perfectionistish.
I might feel obliged.
I ask people for help if I have to, but I don't like doing it for all those reasons.

Reactions: kikikins

·
Banned
395 Posts
Depends on what it is. My pride might get in the way if it's something I like and assume I'm good at. I'll gladly ask for help if I don't actually care, though.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I hate asking for help for the following reasons:

1. I want to figure it out myself (I dont like thinking I'm not smart enough to understand it)
2. People typically cant help (in an academic context)
3. Nobody ever explains it in my context/ I think differently than the other person
4. I dont want that person to think they're smarter than me
5. I dont want to impose on other people

Lossa reasons
This, especially in school. I never do the study group thing, i don't even ask other students who have had my class for their outlines. I never go to T.A. office hours. I really don't think anyone has much to offer when studying. If i do study with people, I just get frustrated either because I have to explain basic things to them or they try to explain things to me that I know are flat out wrong. If i tell them it is incorrect, i have to waste 10 minutes explaining why i think it's incorrect and the study session becomes a waste of my time while they walk away enlightened by the new material they learned. There are a select few that i will study with that can really help me understand the material.

I also hate asking for favors outside of school because I feel like I am using people or mooching or something. There's just this guilty feeling that comes with it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ask for help if the situation forces me to. And afterwards, I make sure that I pay back the person that helped me, because I hate being indebted, lol. But in most situation, I'm perfectly fine working alone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It doesn't even come to my mind to ask somebody for help, actually. I don't know why. Only until my mom yells at me about why I don't ask for help do I actually think about the process of asking for help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts