Personality Cafe banner
201 - 220 of 918 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quinoa is not exactly a grain if I'm not mistaken. And it is almost all protein. Quinoa is the only vegetable source of protein that provides all the essential amino acids by itself. And quinoa pasta is fantastic. The texture is very similar to regular pasta, though it is a little more slippery. With the right sauce, this is not a problem. I don't use it in Italian food yet, but anything with a southeast Asian theme gets quinoa pasta in my kitchen. Yum!
Looking at some pictures of the crop (Wiki calls it 'grain like') I think I've seen some growing before, and mistook it for some kind of freaky millet.

I've also found a local(ish) organic grower, but I think I'll just see if one of the local stores has some of any brand, and make my own quinoa flour, particularly since the instructions I found for it suggest toasting it before hand to bring out a lot of nice flavour. I wonder what it would be like if I also ground a little flax seed into the flour.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Quinoa is not exactly a grain if I'm not mistaken. And it is almost all protein. Quinoa is the only vegetable source of protein that provides all the essential amino acids by itself. And quinoa pasta is fantastic. The texture is very similar to regular pasta, though it is a little more slippery. With the right sauce, this is not a problem. I don't use it in Italian food yet, but anything with a southeast Asian theme gets quinoa pasta in my kitchen. Yum!
I've made baked mac n cheese and just regular pasta dishes with it, no problems yet.

Also, I didn't realize it was a pseudo grain because it is not a member of the grass family, but the chenopod family: "quinoa is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds." TIL!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have an odd question.

I have noticed that the week of my period,(but before I start), I get really achy before, and during, my run. I don't have discomfort at any other time, but the closer to the 'event' the slower I feel, the more tired I get when I run the same distance, and the more my shins and knees ache at the beginning or my run. I also get delayed onset pain in my legs at this time later in the evening that goes away after a few hours. Once I actually start my period, I run without any problems and am back to normal once again.(it actually gets rid of my cramps) Ok ladies who run......am I the only one noticing this? If so, I wonder if I am low on some nutrient at this time of the month, and any sugestions would be great.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I've been sick for the last week and haven't worked out at all. I'm starting to feel better (though still sick), but at the same time don't want to screw myself over by pushing myself too hard. I usually lift weights then do cardio after. I'm starting to get extremely ancy not being active and was wondering if anyone had some advice on whether I should get back in the gym or take it slowly until I am 100 percent better?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd say wait, you can't push yourself 110% anyway if you are not feeling well. And exhausting yourself can make the sickness cause you have no energy left. :) Hope you get good soon!

Reactions: downsowf

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've been sick for the last week and haven't worked out at all. I'm starting to feel better (though still sick), but at the same time don't want to screw myself over by pushing myself too hard. I usually lift weights then do cardio after. I'm starting to get extremely ancy not being active and was wondering if anyone had some advice on whether I should get back in the gym or take it slowly until I am 100 percent better?

My doctor has always told me that if the symptoms are fromt he shoulders up, like a stuffy nose, sore throat, stuffed up, or head cold, go ahead and do your workout. Stop when tired. If it is the shoulders down, cough, chest congestion or bad aches and pains, do not exercise util this resolves. Personally, if I still felt crappy, I would not do anything. You don't have to be 100% better, but at least 95% in my book. Also, NO working out if you have a fever.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,448 Posts
Allright guys, can you reccomend me some good protein shakes? I allways hear about them, but I've never tried one. They sound good, and I like milkshakes so it's kind of a win win. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Allright guys, can you reccomend me some good protein shakes? I allways hear about them, but I've never tried one. They sound good, and I like milkshakes so it's kind of a win win. Any suggestions?
Personally I make my own with the following ingredients:

—8oz chocolate almond milk (unsweetened) —> I'm sure you could use regular milk if you prefer
—3 tbsp Nutiva Hemp 15g Protein Powder
—2 tbsp flax meal
—4 tbsp PB2 (pressed peanuts) —> I absolutely LOVE this stuff, it's got 85% less fat/cals and it still gives the shake a peanut butter taste.
—1/4 c. of Trader Joe's Cherry Berry Blend (frozen)

I also add Stevia since I use unsweetened milk, but if you use regular milk you probably wouldn't need any sweetener.

It's not a ready to go shake, but it doesn't take more than a few minutes to make, and it's soooo tasty!

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,555 Posts
I'm not sold on the low carb, low grain diet. I've been trying to change what grains I do eat, like moving away from white rice. Trying to use more whole wheat flour in my baking, and other flours. I don't think I could ever just cut it out.

I've also been going less meat as I'm working on getting leaner. Trying to have more fish, less red meat.

Plus, there's nothing I like more than home made pasta. In fact, maybe I'll make some for dinner. Of course, I am a snob and I hand stretch all of my pasta. There's no other way.
Why do you think eating less meat is going to make you leaner?
What is your substitution for meat?

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,555 Posts
I like optimum nutrition gold standard vanilla ice cream whey protein.
I put in two scoops of protein.
About a cup of water... you can also add in coconut milk which will make it thicker.. adjust to your taste.
Half a banana
a couple stawberries
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Blend well.

It's pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What does it mean when someone finds a single strand of golden hair when you're naturally a dark brunette?
Not really a fitness question, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. My brother has a random white eyelash that grows a few inches a month, and he always needs to watch so he can pull it. Seems to be just a fluke.

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,555 Posts
Recover, take a mega-dose of vitamin A and D-3.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the popular idea that you can't work out the same group of muscles two days in a row. I tend to do that (as long as the muscle group isn't too sore) and I think I've actually seen better results because of it. What do ya'll think?

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Kettlebells, dumbells??

whats the difference? Its seems as if Kettlebells are hot right now, but why use them instead of dumbells?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Kettlebells, dumbells??

whats the difference? Its seems as if Kettlebells are hot right now, but why use them instead of dumbells?
They're a little different from dumbells, and they need to be used in other exercises. The advantage is that they can give you a more "complete" workout, so to speak. It targets more muscles, increases flexibility, etc. Tends to you give you better functional strength, rather than gym strength.
Kettlebell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
ENTJ - 8w7
3,444 Posts
Kettlebells, dumbells??

It's a completely different set of exercises, but many people now interchange them ;) A lot of the time, the kettlebells are easier to grip and are a bit more ergonomic, but that depends upon what you are doing with them. For exercises that requiring swinging the weight or jerking the weight, kettlebells are certainly safer for your fellow gym rats. ;) hahahah

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
This is a better place to post this.

So I'm looking for a way to measure the length between the medial and lateral epicondyles of the humerus while the shoulder and elbow are bent at 90 degrees. It's for the heath carter method of somatotyping. Do you know of any accurate way to measure this by hand? With a lot of muscle it is difficult to measure this by hand.

This bone width is like under the armpit and is usualy measured with calipers. It's # 70 in this picture below.

source

·
Banned
26 Posts
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the popular idea that you can't work out the same group of muscles two days in a row. I tend to do that (as long as the muscle group isn't too sore) and I think I've actually seen better results because of it. What do ya'll think?
Depends on the amount microtrauma.

If you aren't sore, that means you are either

1) Lifting weights that are not causing enough micro-tears in your muscles to induce an inflammatory response (soreness).

2) An elite athlete or genetic freak that recovers quickly (hard gainers are notorious for this).

3) Doping to assist in the recovery process.

4) Using a rapid thermal exchange device to induce rapid muscle recovery.

5) Your body has adapted to the exercise you are performing over a long period of time.

As long as the result of your work is hypertrophy (BB) or gains (PL) then your method is identifiably valid for yourself and yourself alone. If it works for you, it doesn't necessarily mean universality and vise versa.

Opinion: It's fine, just make sure your nervous system has enough time to recover and you get adequate rest/nourishment. I've done it before with heavy weights 2-6 reps, but my sets were always between 1-2. I can give you the program I had if you're interested.

Reactions: Aslynn

·
Registered
678 Posts
How much time do you have?

201 - 220 of 918 Posts