Personality Cafe banner

401 - 420 of 905 Posts
4,926 Posts
An easy way to know how many calories to eat is to calculate your needs with a calculator (like this) then subtract ~500 kcal which is a good amount for noticeable weight loss but not extreme (around 2-3 kg/month). This way the chances of malnutrition are less, just make sure you eat enough vegetables, fruit and protein. I'd suggest you find a way to eat that can be sustained for life, because if you do a crash diet and then start eating normally, you will very likely gain weight again.
I'm not intending to crash diet, I think 1200/1300 calories isn't too bad and I don't feel I need to go over that. I get what you mean though, many people binge after a diet and I've had cravings but I've resisted them thus far.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,843 Posts
I'm not intending to crash diet, I think 1200/1300 calories isn't too bad and I don't feel I need to go over that. I get what you mean though, many people binge after a diet and I've had cravings but I've resisted them thus far.
Personally 1200-1300 is a good amount for me too for weight loss. However, the point is to calculate according to your needs. If your needs were say, 2500-3000kcal normally and you would go to 1200 well it would be a bit drastic. If 1200-1300 kcals satisfy your hunger it's a good sign that you're eating okay (as long as it's balanced), assuming you're not taking appetite suppressants like coffee or tobacco.

4,926 Posts
Personally 1200-1300 is a good amount for me too for weight loss. However, the point is to calculate according to your needs. If your needs were say, 2500-3000kcal normally and you would go to 1200 well it would be a bit drastic. If 1200-1300 kcals satisfy your hunger it's a good sign that you're eating okay (as long as it's balanced), assuming you're not taking appetite suppressants like coffee or tobacco.
Nope don't smoke nor drink caffeinated drinks usually. Sometimes have decaf but that's still not good I guess. But thanks for your advice :)

4,926 Posts
What's the correct way to run? Everytime I do, I feel like I look silly cause I don't run properly or something. Visions of Phoebe from Friends lol

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dat pose running.

Basically its running on the balls of your feet as opposed to heel striking on every step. Its the same way you would run without shoes; makes for less impact on the knees and allows your feet to work properly by using the fascia and small muscles in your feet as a spring.

START SLOW! It can take time to re-train your feet to get used to it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I meant for a diet, to eat around that every day for weight loss. And I only exercise about once or twice a week so I wouldn't need that many calories right?
USDA recommends an average of 12 calories per pound of current body weight to maintain that weight with a sedentary lifestyle. One pound of body fat is something like 3500 calories of stored energy. So if you ate ten calories per pound of body weight for example and you weighted 200 then if you ate 200x10=2000 calories then that would be a 400 calorie deficit and you'd lose 2lbs a month. You'd need to fine tune it to suit your physiology.

Also if you derived around 45% of your calories from protein then you'd lose weight faster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Should I buy a kettlebell if I want to work out at home? I'm newb.
If you planned on designing a training program that incorporated them, then sure :)

I guess the questions I have is, what are your goals? Improve cardio? Increase strength? Lose weight? And what of those are the top priorities?

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,843 Posts
If you planned on designing a training program that incorporated them, then sure :)

I guess the questions I have is, what are your goals? Improve cardio? Increase strength? Lose weight? And what of those are the top priorities?

I'd like to become stronger and lose weight, for cardio I prefer walking since I live on a hill so it's easy to do a good workout just by walking the dog. I thought that kettlebell is a good alternative to do squats and deadlifts because I don't have room for a bar. So I'm thinking of getting a ~15kg to do those exercises at home and maybe a lighter one to do classic kettlebell exercises.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd like to become stronger and lose weight, for cardio I prefer walking since I live on a hill so it's easy to do a good workout just by walking the dog. I thought that kettlebell is a good alternative to do squats and deadlifts because I don't have room for a bar. So I'm thinking of getting a ~15kg to do those exercises at home and maybe a lighter one to do classic kettlebell exercises.
There are a ton of at home exercises you can do with a 15kg kettlebell. Potentially working out... everything really. Personal favorites are figure 8's, front squats, and get-up's. As far as cardio, if you've got a hill, work your way towards sprinting up that sucker. Not sure how big the hill is, but I like to make a game of it. Divide the hill from bottom to top into 4 and sprint to the first quarter point, jog back, sprint to the second, and so on. Once you make it to the top, walk down and take a rest. See if you feel like doing another set after that or not.

Just a recommendation, sprinting is great for losing weight.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,843 Posts
There are a ton of at home exercises you can do with a 15kg kettlebell. Potentially working out... everything really. Personal favorites are figure 8's, front squats, and get-up's. As far as cardio, if you've got a hill, work your way towards sprinting up that sucker. Not sure how big the hill is, but I like to make a game of it. Divide the hill from bottom to top into 4 and sprint to the first quarter point, jog back, sprint to the second, and so on. Once you make it to the top, walk down and take a rest. See if you feel like doing another set after that or not.

Just a recommendation, sprinting is great for losing weight.
I don't think I could sprint uphill, I'm not that fit :p I just try to increase my pace if I have enough energy and during the last years I've increased my endurance quite a bit. The only issue that I have is my low blood pressure, it drops sometimes to the point where I feel light headed and have to lie down, so going uphill very fast is probably not a very good idea at least not right now. I think I should increase my salt intake but it's not easy because I'm not used to adding salt on my plate and don't find it to my taste. Thanks for your suggestion though, I haven't thought it and maybe sometime I'll do it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think I could sprint uphill, I'm not that fit :p I just try to increase my pace if I have enough energy and during the last years I've increased my endurance quite a bit. The only issue that I have is my low blood pressure, it drops sometimes to the point where I feel light headed and have to lie down, so going uphill very fast is probably not a very good idea at least not right now. I think I should increase my salt intake but it's not easy because I'm not used to adding salt on my plate and don't find it to my taste. Thanks for your suggestion though, I haven't thought it and maybe sometime I'll do it.
No worries! I understand the concern with elevating your heart rate too much. Best of luck to you! It's worth the pain. :laughing:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Kettle bell would work for cardio. I might also suggest a pull up bar that hangs in a doorway. If you can't do pull ups yet you can place a chair underneath and do cheater pull ups. Pull ups are a very good upper body exercise that works back, chest and arms. You can also hang from the bar and do knee raises.

To start with you don't even need equipment. You can do push ups, crunches, lunges, etc, without any gear at all. The most important thing is to do some homework, design a routine, and then stick to the routine. If you design a routine and your goal is to work out three days a week then pick those days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday for example) and then do the routine. Don't think, oh, I'm tired or stressed today so I'll skip working out. Skipping is the doorway to just quitting, which I think 9 out of 10 people do after a few weeks, judging by the number of neglected workout gear my friends have stuffed into closets and garages :)

4,926 Posts
If you hit a weight loss plateau, can you still break out of it with little exercise or do you need it to accelerate out of it?

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you hit a weight loss plateau, can you still break out of it with little exercise or do you need it to accelerate out of it?

It really depends on your body composition, but more then likely no.

As a girl, if you are running in the 15-20% bodyfat range you are more then likely in a good spot and will just want to begin working out more. Building muscle burns fat faster then nearly anything else, ntm the bigger the muscle gets the harder it is for far to continue kicking around because the muscle is constantly using that additional fat as energy.

If you are running a hight body fat % but are in the weight range you want to be in you are in a "skinny-fat" phase and you will want to get your diet a little more dialed in as it will begin to cut your bodyfat %. Stick to whole foods and begin cutting out grains as much as possible. The big key though is to continue making sure you are getting ENOUGH calories because if you are running too high of a deficit and working out, your body will actually react by storing more fat, this is called adaptive thermogenisis.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if this is a good work out schedule?
Mon-Wed-fri-Sat-Sun gym, Thurs & Tues rest
Gym:
5-10 min warm up (jogging/efx)
5 min stretching

Using 15kg dumbbells:
10x squats
10x split squats
10x jump lunges
20x dumbbell side bends
(repeat 3x with 30 second rest between)

Using 10-12.5kg:
12x shoulder press
15x bicep curls
15x chest press
(repeat 2x with 1 min rest between)

cardio:
5 mins on each:
rowing machine (15secs fast, 45 slow x5)
bike (20 secs fast, 40 slow x5)
efx/treadmill (2mins fast, 1 min slow, 2 mins fast)

core:
20x reverse crunches
10x crunches
30 sec plank
30 sec pushup plank

warm down 5-10 mins efx/treadmill
stretch 5 mins

Any advice on improving this?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are these workouts being done in a split, ie: Monday (legs), Wednesday (arms), Friday (Cardio)?

Id recommend working out Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and doing your cardio Tuesday, Thursday and take the weekend to rest. Dont do hard cardio on your Tuesday, Thursday and something light on the weekends. You will force an adaptation pretty quickly this way.

Mon-Wed-fri-Sat-Sun gym, Thurs & Tues rest
Gym:
5-10 min warm up (jogging/efx)
5 min stretching

Spend more time working on your mobility and creating more flexibility, check out some of the stuff on Mobility Wod They have tons of free stuff and lots of great mobility stuff.

I dont recommend jogging for your warm up, I prefer to do something directly related to my workout or goals. Whether its doing some high jumps or whatever. But the real key is to warm up the stuff that needs warming up and maybe work on some skill work.

Using 15kg dumbbells:
10x squats
10x split squats
10x jump lunges
20x dumbbell side bends
(repeat 3x with 30 second rest between)'

Looks fine, but dont dictate the weight, work on upping your weight 5 to 10 lb every week. Gotta make progress. I would also recommend factoring in some form of deadlift to really make sure youre hitting your hamstrings. Some barbell work is always good, factoring in some front squats or high-bar back squats would be huge. Kettlebell swings are also awesome.

Using 10-12.5kg:
12x shoulder press
15x bicep curls
15x chest press
(repeat 2x with 1 min rest between)

Same as above. Just work on increasing that weight. I would also recommend some barbell work as the barbell forces you to create tension off a fixed object and can really help you get that shoulder in a good movement pattern.

cardio:
5 mins on each:
rowing machine (15secs fast, 45 slow x5)
bike (20 secs fast, 40 slow x5)
efx/treadmill (2mins fast, 1 min slow, 2 mins fast)

I dont know a ton about cardio, but if this fits with your goals go for it.

core:
20x reverse crunches
10x crunches
30 sec plank
30 sec pushup plank

I dont like crunches because it forces your back into a pretty nasty rounded position. You get a good squeeze on your abs but there are better workouts that do more. I would recommend side bridges to work on your obliques along with side raises. Bicycles are really good but require some coordination. If you really want to challenge yourself, work on some leg circles or knee outs.

warm down 5-10 mins efx/treadmill
stretch 5 mins

Dont bother with the treadmill, just go stretch some more and work on really fixing some mobility now that you're all warm and gooey. This is also the best time to do some skill work.

The big key to any program is sticking to it. For the first 4 weeks you will see gains but that is mostly neural, you are aiming to continue with it for 6 to 12 weeks and if you are still plateauing at that mark, it may be time to adjust your program. Always make sure you are factoring in some variety as well, the more variety, the easier it is to continue making gains. When I say variety I mean the same exercise just a different way, like instead of just deadlifts, you do them from a deficit or with a snatch grip, etc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No to which part?
This part:

can you still break out of it with little exercise

Once youve hit a weight loss plateau from solely eating, its time to begin factoring exercise. "Jump starting" your bodyu out of it isnt really a real thing. Continuously excercising will increase your metabolism but it takes a full training cycle (call it 6-12 weeks).

4,926 Posts
This part:

can you still break out of it with little exercise

Once youve hit a weight loss plateau from solely eating, its time to begin factoring exercise. "Jump starting" your bodyu out of it isnt really a real thing. Continuously excercising will increase your metabolism but it takes a full training cycle (call it 6-12 weeks).
Okay thanks. Sucks. I'm not able to do a lot of exercise but I guess I should start really trying if I want to keep losing consistently.

401 - 420 of 905 Posts