Personality Cafe banner

481 - 500 of 905 Posts

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,834 Posts
My height/weight ratio is (I believe) in the normal range at 5'8/125 pounds, but I'm not happy with my figure, particularly fat around the love handles area. My eating habits admittedly are not the best, though the amount of calories I eat isn't super high - I'd say I average about 1300-1500 daily.

I've tried adding in various exercises in addition to cutting calories even further, adding protein, etc, but I'm not getting results. Is there any advice you guys have in working to lose this fat? I'm not really looking for a number decrease or increase on the scale, but rather in having my lower back/hips be slimmer. I know the way to lose weight is to burn more calories than one consumes, but I still feel as though I'm missing something...
At your height and weight, you have a BMI of 19 when the lower of the normal range is 18.5 and higher 24.9. At this point, the best thing you can do is exercise, and don't restrict your calories. Aim to add muscle instead, because your body fat % is probably at good ranges and by adding some muscle you will give better definition and the extra fat will be used up eventually as an energy source for both exercising and having more muscle (muscles need a lot of energy even at rest). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Is there a difference between doing 10 push ups fives times a day vs just doing 50 push ups once a day?

Does excercising throughout the day rather then all at once matter? Is it bad? Good?
For awhile I did my pullups in 3 sets of 4 with like a 3 second interval and when I did a straight pullup push to see how many I could do it was rather weak (10). When I started pushing to doing max pullups and eventually all 12 per set at once my straight pullup push jumped to ~20. I felt much stronger pushing my numbers higher.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
Alright, my question is-

ls there a reason a person would experience extreme fatigue when attempting to build muscle?

l've never had this issue after doing cardio, but after my last few times using very light weights on the machines, l've been nearly disoriented for a few hours afterward.

l considered low blood sugar, which l often have anyway, so l correct that afterward, however it seems to just leave serious strain on my body and even leave me clumsy and unable to walk properly for a day or so afterward :tongue:

70 pound weights for lower body, and a 30 pound tricep press (sometimes even 20). The tricep press seems to trigger the fatigue most, at least yesterday.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Alright, my question is-

ls there a reason a person would experience extreme fatigue when attempting to build muscle?

l've never had this issue after doing cardio, but after my last few times using very light weights on the machines, l've been nearly disoriented for a few hours afterward.

l considered low blood sugar, which l often have anyway, so l correct that afterward, however it seems to just leave serious strain on my body and even leave me clumsy and unable to walk properly for a day or so afterward :tongue:

70 pound weights for lower body, and a 30 pound tricep press (sometimes even 20). The tricep press seems to trigger the fatigue most, at least yesterday.
Simplest explanation is you're doing more than your legs can handle atm, fatigue could be from low calories.
Now the long version, which I typed first. =P

It could be so many things... Low iron(or other minerals involved in iron transport), low b vitamins, low calories. Remember that building muscle takes more food than you're probably used to. I remember when I went too low on calories a while back, I became clumsy and such as well. Low hemoglobin might be a reason heavier workload could get to you. If you want a quick check just look at your lips: they're supposed to be a nice pretty pink from the blood flow, if you're low you can still see pink but it'll be more pale/ less vibrant. It never hurts to take a b complex since they're water soluble and hard to overdo if you drink enough water.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,567 Posts
Simplest explanation is you're doing more than your legs can handle atm, fatigue could be from low calories.
Now the long version, which I typed first. =P

It could be so many things... Low iron(or other minerals involved in iron transport), low b vitamins, low calories. Remember that building muscle takes more food than you're probably used to. I remember when I went too low on calories a while back, I became clumsy and such as well. Low hemoglobin might be a reason heavier workload could get to you. If you want a quick check just look at your lips: they're supposed to be a nice pretty pink from the blood flow, if you're low you can still see pink but it'll be more pale/ less vibrant. It never hurts to take a b complex since they're water soluble and hard to overdo if you drink enough water.
Thanks.

Oh my, l've seen other women around my general size lifting 150-190 lbs for the lower body (it's the hip adductor/abductor machines).

l really had no ultimate weight lifting goal in mind, mostly just trying to tone so l wasn't expecting the extreme post workout hunger when that first hit, because l guess l just didn't realize how much energy

it takes. l've been in the habit of eating 6 hard-boiled eggs afterward, and for awhile just loading up on whatever l could because l became so hungry.

l did start a multi vitamin recently, l think l'm just going to make it a point to to make the workouts after 8 PM or so, so that l have time to uh....let my body do whatever it does until it gets used to it (fall asleep, likely) :kitteh:

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
At your height and weight, you have a BMI of 19 when the lower of the normal range is 18.5 and higher 24.9. At this point, the best thing you can do is exercise, and don't restrict your calories. Aim to add muscle instead, because your body fat % is probably at good ranges and by adding some muscle you will give better definition and the extra fat will be used up eventually as an energy source for both exercising and having more muscle (muscles need a lot of energy even at rest). Just my 2 cents.
I wouldn't place too much faith in those BMI calculators unless they allow for age & several body measurements.

I tried this site Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More... but I think it could be more accurate.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,834 Posts
I wouldn't place too much faith in those BMI calculators unless they allow for age & several body measurements.

I tried this site Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio and More... but I think it could be more accurate.
BMI doesn't have age and other body measurements though in its equation.
And the main problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for body composition, but that is usually a problem in higher ranges when someone could have increased muscle mass and be deemed overweight, when he's not. But, that's why BMI is used only as a screening tool and not for diagnosing anything. In the case of BMI 19 it's very unlikely to have so much increased bf% that you'll be overweight in terms of body fat...

I used this site you linked and it calculated 25% bf for me when I have over 35% because I have slim waist and huge butt and thighs, lol. Of course waist fat is more dangerous but still that's kinda lousy.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
BMI doesn't have age and other body measurements though in its equation.
And the main problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for body composition, but that is usually a problem in higher ranges when someone could have increased muscle mass and be deemed overweight, when he's not. But, that's why BMI is used only as a screening tool and not for diagnosing anything. In the case of BMI 19 it's very unlikely to have so much increased bf% that you'll be overweight in terms of body fat...

I used this site you linked and it calculated 25% bf for me when I have over 35% because I have slim waist and huge butt and thighs, lol. Of course waist fat is more dangerous but still that's kinda lousy.
I didn't like that it estimated my BMI as being 28.4

I located a BMI calculator ( Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator ) that includes 4 body measurements but I think the percentage of body fat is on the low side.
Enter your height, weight, and other information, then click the "Calculate" button.
English UnitsMetric Units
Height feet inches centimeters
Weight pounds kilograms
Waist inches centimeters
Neck inches centimeters
Hips (Female) inches centimeters
SexMale Female
Level
of
Activity
sedentaryPassive activities:
Watching TV, working on the computer, reading, driving a car
moderateLively activities:
One hour per day walking, swimming, jogging, tennis
activeVigorous activities:
Two hours or more per day moving furniture or playing sports

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
This site actually got me 35% bf hah. Are you a bodybuilder or athlete? Are you sure you put everything correctly?
Yes; I double checked my measurements as per that site's recommendations & I'm sure that I entered my measurements correctly.
I've always been athletic, I workout nearly every other day but I don't consider myself a body builder. Merely a home fitness enthusiast.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,834 Posts
Yes; I double checked my measurements as per that site's recommendations & I'm sure that I entered my measurements correctly.
I've always been athletic, I workout nearly every other day but I don't consider myself a body builder. Merely a home fitness enthusiast.
Well it's kinda strange. 5% bf is kinda low for someone who's not a professional athlete or bodybuilder, but exceptions can happen of course. Are you worried that you are fat because of your BMI? You could always go to someone to test it if that's the case. Or hey, post pictures :p
Do you see yourself as overweight? You could also buy caliper and measure yourself, it's quite reliable if you do it right.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Well it's kinda strange. 5% bf is kinda low for someone who's not a professional athlete or bodybuilder, but exceptions can happen of course. Are you worried that you are fat because of your BMI? You could always go to someone to test it if that's the case. Or hey, post pictures :p
Do you see yourself as overweight? You could also buy caliper and measure yourself, it's quite reliable if you do it right.
My last physical was in early May, personal physician estimated my body fat at 13% - 14%. That's why I'd earlier indicated that I consider that site's body fat estimate to be too low.

I just considered a BMI percentage of 28 to be too high for a healthy individual & I don't like their classification that "BMI of 28.4% is overweight". IMHO it's ridiculous to categorize without several body measurements.

Edit: This one is quite accurate at just over 14%
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,834 Posts
My last physical was in early May, personal physician estimated my body fat at 13% - 14%. That's why I'd earlier indicated that I consider that site's body fat estimate to be too low.

I just considered a BMI percentage of 28 to be too high for a healthy individual & I don't like their classification that "BMI of 28.4% is overweight". IMHO it's ridiculous to categorize without several body measurements.

Edit: This one is quite accurate at just over 14%
Body Fat Percentage Calculator ** Recommended for You
Well, like I said BMI is not accurate for people with increased muscle mass, but it's good for the rest. It has to be used correctly to be correct and it works in the general population that doesn't work out a lot. You seem very active and built so that's why it's off for you, but like I told you in the PM as long as your %bf is within healthy ranges you have nothing to worry about.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I can't really afford to take boxing lessons but I was considering buying a punching bag. They're on sale actually and I punched it a couple of times in the store and I think I like it. I think it would be good for me for some release of anger emotion and, well, there can't be a wrong way to punch, right? ... anyone know how to box here? I know it sounds stupid but I'm serious. I know people who have thrown their shoulder out taking those boxing classes where you punch the air. and I really am not doing crowds right now (not that I'm a fan of them anyways). any thoughts or suggestions?

also, in the weightlifting for ladies thread I noticed that they were talking about a lot of weight!

can a person do okay with weight lifting from home with hand weights or is that not the same thing (speaking results). Also, energy ... any thoughts or suggestions for low energy. lately I'm crazy low energy and I'm not even feeling up for cardio and I'm thinking, maybe I should get into lifting. but I'm so low energy. I don't like taking those pills that make you jittery. I get really bad nausea from too many B vits. any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
I can't really afford to take boxing lessons but I was considering buying a punching bag. They're on sale actually and I punched it a couple of times in the store and I think I like it. I think it would be good for me for some release of anger emotion and, well, there can't be a wrong way to punch, right? ... anyone know how to box here? I know it sounds stupid but I'm serious. I know people who have thrown their shoulder out taking those boxing classes where you punch the air. and I really am not doing crowds right now (not that I'm a fan of them anyways). any thoughts or suggestions?

also, in the weightlifting for ladies thread I noticed that they were talking about a lot of weight!

can a person do okay with weight lifting from home with hand weights or is that not the same thing (speaking results). Also, energy ... any thoughts or suggestions for low energy. lately I'm crazy low energy and I'm not even feeling up for cardio and I'm thinking, maybe I should get into lifting. but I'm so low energy. I don't like taking those pills that make you jittery. I get really bad nausea from too many B vits. any other suggestions ?
I used to drink green tea on workout days for energy (not the fake kind). There is a correct way to punch. Make sure you slightly bend your wrist inward (you don't want your fist straight with your arm) so as not to bend it backward on impact when you're throwing harder punches. Then there are types of punches like jabs, crosses, uppercuts, hooks. And foot placement and leg rotation are part of the punch too. I recommend watching some videos on it. And I've gotten plenty results with 15-35 pound dumbbells and push-ups/pull-ups.

edit: punching is a great way to get cardio in and it's fun which is good for low energy.

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,834 Posts
Also, energy ... any thoughts or suggestions for low energy. lately I'm crazy low energy and I'm not even feeling up for cardio and I'm thinking, maybe I should get into lifting. but I'm so low energy. I don't like taking those pills that make you jittery. I get really bad nausea from too many B vits. any other suggestions ?
Maybe you aren't eating enough in general, or enough carbohydrates. I used to have a low carb intake, barely ate any starches except on days I ate pasta and very little fruit and I felt very weak. Then I just tested increasing my intake and everything got better. I mostly used fruit but I try to eat more starches too now.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
I used to drink green tea on workout days for energy (not the fake kind). There is a correct way to punch. Make sure you slightly bend your wrist inward (you don't want your fist straight with your arm) so as not to bend it backward on impact when you're throwing harder punches. Then there are types of punches like jabs, crosses, uppercuts, hooks. And foot placement and leg rotation are part of the punch too. I recommend watching some videos on it. And I've gotten plenty results with 15-35 pound dumbbells and push-ups/pull-ups.

edit: punching is a great way to get cardio in and it's fun which is good for low energy.
Sweet, thank you! Checking out vids it is. Who knew punching was so 'technical' :tongue:

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Maybe you aren't eating enough in general, or enough carbohydrates. I used to have a low carb intake, barely ate any starches except on days I ate pasta and very little fruit and I felt very weak. Then I just tested increasing my intake and everything got better. I mostly used fruit but I try to eat more starches too now.
Yyyeah. I guess I forget to eat sometimes. And then I'll eat all crazy when I remember it's been way too long. That and food costs a lot. :p

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Sweet, thank you! Checking out vids it is. Who knew punching was so 'technical' :tongue:
Making the punches consistent and in technical form maximizes power, maximizes safety, and creates and exercises muscle most efficiently. So it's important. :p

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
Is it true that exercising helps keep mentally balanced as well as physically?

I've read in some places that part of the problem with modern society is that we're too sedentary and do not get the amount of exercise that we're meant too; thus causing all sorts of ailments and in general making people just not feel as well I guess.

I've read that it helps keeps the chemicals in your brain properly balanced too, like serotonin, dopamine and stuff.
I know endorphins is a a real one, but is the rest true? it makes sense but I dunno. I never really hear anyone talking about it or very much empirical evidence supporting it being shown or whatever. It's usually just about endorphins and how great endorphins are.

481 - 500 of 905 Posts