Personality Cafe banner

581 - 600 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Okay SO
I lost fifty pounds when I was sixteen and yoyoed because of some situational depression, and now I'm 155 which is good for 5'11. So, I have a pocket of fat around my waist and really want to tone up there, and build muscle overall. How can I do this? Also how come there are people who go to the gym at the beginning of the month and come out at the end looking like greek gods?
Well I just started working out again a couple weeks ago after a long hiatus. I got a LOT more muscular in this time. I do this: Monday - Chest and Tris; Tuesday - Yoga; Wednesday - Shoulders, Abs, Legs (plyometrics); Thursday - Yoga; Friday - Back and Biceps; Saturday - Yoga; Sunday - Leg strength (squats, lunges, isometric exercises)

This allows me to exercise every day. The yoga promotes recovery as well as strengthens the entire body and stretches you so you don't have to do "warm up stretches" that actually suck and ruin your body.

and diet is important too.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Well I just started working out again a couple weeks ago after a long hiatus. I got a LOT more muscular in this time. I do this: Monday - Chest and Tris; Tuesday - Yoga; Wednesday - Shoulders, Abs, Legs (plyometrics); Thursday - Yoga; Friday - Back and Biceps; Saturday - Yoga; Sunday - Leg strength (squats, lunges, isometric exercises)

This allows me to exercise every day. The yoga promotes recovery as well as strengthens the entire body and stretches you so you don't have to do "warm up stretches" that actually suck and ruin your body.

and diet is important too.
Aha...but what about a rest day? And I actually bought a book on strength training in the mean while ;-)!

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Aha...but what about a rest day? And I actually bought a book on strength training in the mean while ;-)!
Yoga is basically rest days. Since you work out two muscle groups in one day with this routine, you rest while working out other areas. Working out will give you energy after a month or so of routine. The fact there is no "rest day" is good.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have been contemplating about changing my diet into one that is more natural and organic. My issue here is the supposed higher costs of buying these versus buying the regular food that is full of chemicals, pesticides, and hormones. My question is, is there any way somebody who doesn't have a lot of money can afford a natural and organic diet without blowing a hole in the wallet?

Thanks in advance? :blushed:

·
exploring space
ENFP
8,835 Posts
I have been contemplating about changing my diet into one that is more natural and organic. My issue here is the supposed higher costs of buying these versus buying the regular food that is full of chemicals, pesticides, and hormones. My question is, is there any way somebody who doesn't have a lot of money can afford a natural and organic diet without blowing a hole in the wallet?

Thanks in advance? :blushed:
Grow your own?:p half-joking but really, there are things you could grow in a pot, like peppers, strawberries, mushrooms, etc. without much effort.
I don't know how your market is in your country, so I can't point you to cheaper places. However, a reasonable start is to eat vegetables and fruit that are in season and wash them very well. A way to tell if they have been treated with hormones and such is if i.e vegetables/fruit from the same farmer have uniform size and colour, or if they are too big and it's not well into their harvest season yet.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Grow your own?:p half-joking but really, there are things you could grow in a pot, like peppers, strawberries, mushrooms, etc. without much effort.
I don't know how your market is in your country, so I can't point you to cheaper places. However, a reasonable start is to eat vegetables and fruit that are in season and wash them very well. A way to tell if they have been treated with hormones and such is if i.e vegetables/fruit from the same farmer have uniform size and colour, or if they are too big and it's not well into their harvest season yet.
Hmm, that makes sense! I remember eating organic produce and they really taste good, better than the regular joe-type ones that have pesticides in them, so I'll keep an eye out for the in-season ones. Thanks! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Hi fitness gurus! I'd like to inquire about my case. 6 years ago, I started losing weight as I was very plump. I lost 30 kg in less than 2 years. I achieved the weight I desired by initially dieting unintentionally. I wasn't diagnosed with any eating disorders. I used to eat a lot and I just lost the huge appetite naturally. I ate 10% of what I usually would for almost 4 years. I ate anything at least thrice a day but in small amounts. By small amounts, I mean 5 spoons of rice and just enough meat/protein from our usual viand. The downside of this kind of diet is that I got weaker as you would've expected. I wasn't sporty too.

Since 2012 (I'm 18 y/o @ this time, I've been eating more. Everyone would comment on how little I ate so they encouraged me to eat more. Since I got significantly weaker, I decided to go to the gym and train (and yes eat more). I wanted to tone my muscles and to better my endurance and strength. I was stronger and more toned. I learned to play badminton too. Apparently, I'd find reasons to stop going to the gym, visit the gym again, then stop once more. I've gained a lot of weight again and it's disturbing.

I'm skeptic about going to the gym again because most likely, I wouldn't be able to maintain it. I'd stop and gain more than what I've lost. I've regained 20 kg from the 30 kg I lost. I certainly need to do something about this. Any insights?

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
Hi fitness gurus! I'd like to inquire about my case. 6 years ago, I started losing weight as I was very plump. I lost 30 kg in less than 2 years. I achieved the weight I desired by initially dieting unintentionally. I wasn't diagnosed with any eating disorders. I used to eat a lot and I just lost the huge appetite naturally. I ate 10% of what I usually would for almost 4 years. I ate anything at least thrice a day but in small amounts. By small amounts, I mean 5 spoons of rice and just enough meat/protein from our usual viand. The downside of this kind of diet is that I got weaker as you would've expected. I wasn't sporty too.

Since 2012 (I'm 18 y/o @ this time, I've been eating more. Everyone would comment on how little I ate so they encouraged me to eat more. Since I got significantly weaker, I decided to go to the gym and train (and yes eat more). I wanted to tone my muscles and to better my endurance and strength. I was stronger and more toned. I learned to play badminton too. Apparently, I'd find reasons to stop going to the gym, visit the gym again, then stop once more. I've gained a lot of weight again and it's disturbing.

I'm skeptic about going to the gym again because most likely, I wouldn't be able to maintain it. I'd stop and gain more than what I've lost. I've regained 20 kg from the 30 kg I lost. I certainly need to do something about this. Any insights?
We often get hungrier when we're working out.

You have to make sure you're eating all natural, healthy food, and nothing processed. Drink a lot of water.

Honestly, you really can't gain weight if you're eating vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, legumes, and a small handful of healthy nuts. Although, be careful not to eat big bags of nuts. :proud: Target veggies and lean proteins, and sprinkle the rest.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Honestly, you really can't gain weight if you're eating vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, legumes, and a small handful of healthy nuts. Although, be careful not to eat big bags of nuts. :proud: Target veggies and lean proteins, and sprinkle the rest.
That is ridiculous, of course you can, you can gain weight on anything if your body doesn't burn it off.
@baby blue me it sounds like your eating disorder screwed your metabolism up. I would not think about losing weight for quite a while and instead find a normal, maintenance amount of food to eat for several months so your body gets the hint it is not starving anymore.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
That is ridiculous, of course you can, you can gain weight on anything if your body doesn't burn it off.
@baby blue me it sounds like your eating disorder screwed your metabolism up. I would not think about losing weight for quite a while and instead find a normal, maintenance amount of food to eat for several months so your body gets the hint it is not starving anymore.
You just get filled up a lot faster on veggies and beans. It's pretty difficult to gain weight on a diet like that.

·
Registered
738 Posts

Well I personally hate going to the gym, the travel time and the slowness of it all always went against me. But I like having a home gym since I can keep the session going at my speed, plus I'm an introvert so it fits me like a glove.

The cheapest things you can do are things like simple calisthenics, hiking, and swimming. Next to that there's some minimalist equipment like a pull-up bar and homemade weights. For homemade weights you could use gallon jugs or buckets filled with water or sand, and you could have a line drawn in the buckets to show how full to fill it for a certain weight.

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Well I personally hate going to the gym, the travel time and the slowness of it all always went against me. But I like having a home gym since I can keep the session going at my speed, plus I'm an introvert so it fits me like a glove.

The cheapest things you can do are things like simple calisthenics, hiking, and swimming. Next to that there's some minimalist equipment like a pull-up bar and homemade weights. For homemade weights you could use gallon jugs or buckets filled with water or sand, and you could have a line drawn in the buckets to show how full to fill it for a certain weight.
Home gym ftw.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I really appreciate your input guys.

Going to the gym isn't my favorite either. The treadmill and elliptical trainer gave me positive results. I'm unsure though if I should continue from the speed/level I stopped at or do I start from my slowest and gradually increase the speed/level again. I'm more of starting from the base and gradually increasing the speed but I'm uncertain if this will be fruitful at all. I used to lift weight and do leg trainings too. Stopping them is not good at all! I have bigger arms and thighs now.

We often get hungrier when we're working out.

You have to make sure you're eating all natural, healthy food, and nothing processed. Drink a lot of water.

Thanks for the reminder. I've not been health conscious for the previous months. This reminder is useful.

Yes, I think my bad eating habbit destroyed my metabolism. Do you think the metabolism is adapts to lifestyles? I mean, Will my eating habbit now (which seems more normal and healthier than my diet before) can become my body's normal? The reason for the question is because I think somehow, my food intake is responsible for my weight gain (aside from stopping my gym sessions).

Home gym ftw.
I know! Haha! Your abs do not need home gyms though. I saw them last night in one of the threads. Hehe!

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
@baby blue me

Ha. Exercising is limitless. There is no stopping once you keep going. :) My body will never be "good enough". That's the beauty of it. If you stop for a week then your body will crumble. You have to keep going. I'm not motivated by strength, I'm motivated by weakness. Stopping is not an option. Happiness doesn't come from stopping. The climb is all there is to happiness.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
@baby blue me Yes your body will eventually adapt to your new intake, but it may take several months for your hormones to regulate themselves again (leptin, insulin, ghrelin, etc.). If you do heavy exercise during this time they will not get back into balance so I would stick to light exercise or just toning. Do you keep track of how much and what you eat?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
@baby blue me Yes your body will eventually adapt to your new intake, but it may take several months for your hormones to regulate themselves again (leptin, insulin, ghrelin, etc.). If you do heavy exercise during this time they will not get back into balance so I would stick to light exercise or just toning. Do you keep track of how much and what you eat?
That makes sense! I don't keep track of how much and what I eat though.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
@baby blue me

Ha. Exercising is limitless. There is no stopping once you keep going. :) My body will never be "good enough". That's the beauty of it. If you stop for a week then your body will crumble. You have to keep going. I'm not motivated by strength, I'm motivated by weakness. Stopping is not an option. Happiness doesn't come from stopping. The climb is all there is to happiness.
What a motivation! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
That makes sense! I don't keep track of how much and what I eat though.
Start keeping track. Most important thing is to figure out what your carbohydrate tolerance is - how many grams a day you can have without your weight going up or blood sugar going nuts. A standard healthy diet should consist of about 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, and you can adjust from there individually. Ideally keep these ratios for every meal/snack you have.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any tips to suppress cravings?

I'm training for a marathon and that chocolate with vanilla icing cake my sister baked looks so good sitting on that table...

*drools*

Just an arm's reach away...

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Any tips to suppress cravings?

I'm training for a marathon and that chocolate with vanilla icing cake my sister baked looks so good sitting on that table...

*drools*

Just an arm's reach away...
Gum helps. And.. Eating other things instead. Like celery and carrots with dip. :proud:

Drinking lots of water, too.

And keeping distracted.

581 - 600 of 905 Posts