Personality Cafe banner

781 - 800 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
@Pepperminty
Stretching BEFORE work-out is the surest way I know to weaken your muscles, increasing the likelihood of damaging yourself.

Stretching is ok to do after a work-out. There's no obvious gains to do stretching, says science.

As how much I do it? Only when I feel the muscles getting very stiff.
Wow, I have not heard that! I will try only stretching after my workouts then. I feel like I get very stiff if I don't stretch, but maybe that's just in my head?

So what about doing things like hip-opening and hamstring stretches? Should those just be done on their own and not before lifting? Or do you think they also have no purpose?

Do you have knee sleeves? If not and you are squatting heavy I would get some. For me I know I was doing way too much volume and I started to get pain. I also find I have pain with lighter weight but when I go slightly heavier (not extremely heavy hut challenging) I have less problems. I'm not sure 10 minutes of stretching is necessary but do make sure you are warmed up I think that's probably more important unless flexibility is a major issue in which case don't do exercise you don't yet have the flexibility for.
I've considered getting some knee sleeves, but I honestly don't think I'm squatting heavy enough to warrant it. I'm still a beginner.

I most often get knee pain while doing lunges, with or without weights. I've considered maybe my form is bad but have practiced in front of a mirror and the pain is the same.

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
15-20% seems reasonable and healthy for a woman. The only and best way to get it down and keep it down is excercise and a balanced diet. Trade soft drink for water to keep the sugar intake down and to detox your system so it will be more receptive to losing weight. Starving your body only causes your body to go into survival mode and will store even more fat so the moment you stop starving yourself you will put it all back on. In general fluctuating your eating habits is bad for you and ineffective. For excercise go for high heart rate activities the best of which probably being interval training especially running and rowing. Do 400m sprints with 1 minute rests inbetween or hill sprints.

So to recap, dont bully your body into the shape you want, detox and eat balanced, properly portioned meals and try snacking instead of having 3 large square meals a day. Excercise in high tempo as it burns fat the best.

I hope this helps
16 to 15% is not a healthy bodyfat for a woman to maintain consistently. Its okay to get down there sometimes (I am right now) but 18 to 20 is a little better and you will feel a big difference.

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
Wow, I have not heard that! I will try only stretching after my workouts then. I feel like I get very stiff if I don't stretch, but maybe that's just in my head?

So what about doing things like hip-opening and hamstring stretches? Should those just be done on their own and not before lifting? Or do you think they also have no purpose?

I've considered getting some knee sleeves, but I honestly don't think I'm squatting heavy enough to warrant it. I'm still a beginner.

I most often get knee pain while doing lunges, with or without weights. I've considered maybe my form is bad but have practiced in front of a mirror and the pain is the same.
How heavy are you squatting? Basically knee sleeves help keep your joints warm they don't really help one squat more (maybe 5 lbs or something idk) I will ask my trainer about the lunge thing tomorrow. I had bad knees from other sports and it could be from your knees going in or habits that have nothing to do with lunges or even working out. Do you work on your upper body form when doing lunges?

Also yeah hip mobility is essential as is hamstring strength. Work on hip mobility always.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Squats shouldn't be felt in the knees. Look at your style again. The ass should be working the most.

Stretching is excellent to do while showering (be careful, do not over stretch (you'll notice it if you do thou), slippery too).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would like to start weight lifting but I don't really know how to go about it and if there is anything I need to know or do before starting. So I would appreciate some recs or tips from more seasoned weight lifters. Any dietary recommendations?

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
I would like to start weight lifting but I don't really know how to go about it and if there is anything I need to know or do before starting. So I would appreciate some recs or tips from more seasoned weight lifters. Any dietary recommendations?
You really have to find what works for you and what you want to achieve. If you want to go the bodybuilder/bikini route its going to be much different than training for strength. Make sure you have the flexibility to do all exercises correctly though, and make sure you can do everything correctly before you add on tons of weight. If you download myfitnesspal you can put in your body composition goals and track your macros, which I really recommend in the beginning when you find a diet that works for you. After you get a better idea of what/how much you can eat per day you don't necessarily need to do that every day, I usually just track new foods and occasionally track a day to make sure I'm still on track. You should really ask a dietician for help though if you are serious about it, it really helps with understanding how it all works.

Also @HGy I haven't seen my trainer yet, I should see them wednesday though and I promise I will ask, real life got in the way.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Before I went to an actual gym I studied various vids on youtube showing and telling perfect/correct techniques. Then I went to try it out with light or no weights for a couple of hours effective time. Dare to start light. Some exercises can cause unexpected injuries.

When it starts to get physically very demanding it is good to warm up with no weights. Reason is you want to do it close to 100% correct.

Disclaimer: Idk if same applies for machines since I'm not using them. Use internet advice at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm a former cheerleader so I am flexible and I'm very fit. I wasn't asking for diet tips lol. I just wanted to know if anyone knew a good back workout because I want to strengthen my back muscles and in particular my lats. I work at a computer all day and I'm working on getting a standing desk set up. In the mean time my back has been tense and sore. I want to strengthen my back muscle so my posture is good.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
@HGy
Take this with a huge grain of salt because I'm not completely sure. :p
For a good strong posture you need abdominal muscle strength. It's something I've picked up as a runner where big strong back does more bad than good if you want be good at running.

Sounds more like you need to support you arms better at your desk. I got back strains working as an electrician because most of the day is spent working with unsupported arms/hands.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
While prepping for this evenings 11km run I came to realize and summarize all the things I do for the purpose of being able to run like I run. I'm an idiot for even doing it imo.

For my 1337-running exercises:
- Shoes that's more comfortable running fast in than slow.
- Special socks, because ordinary socks make my feet feel like they're burning up after 10km.
- Long underwear. Because sores on the inner thighs is god damn annoying as fuck.
- 100% synthetic clothing. I sweat a lot. Cotton clothes soak up an astounding amount of sweat.
- Checking my toenails. If they're too long I risk cracking them. It hurts, it bleeds, it's annoying when it happens.
- Taping the nipples with body tape. Runners nipple anyone? So hot! And synthetic cloth rubbing hurts after a while.
- Chewing gum. It actually keeps my throat moist. Else it dries up fast, especially when temps are getting below 0 deg C.

Fellow moronic freak. Do you use or do anything that intelligent non-freaks never would have considered?

·
INFP 5w6
4,697 Posts
I have a question about pulse(heart rate) and dieting. I am trying to loose weight(started to make a serious effort not long ago and have only lost 2kg, so 16 more until normal weight), but I am a bit concerned about my pulse and bloodpressure, because both tend to drop when I try to reduce my portion sizes (and not by all that much even). I have lost weight before, but as this tend to happen I usually get really tired as a result(sometimes anxiety feels worse too, think that can be related to low bloodpressure).

So I wonder if anyone knows how to loose weight and eat less without my body going into savings-mode like that?

After two days of eating ca 500 calories less my resting heart rate had dropped from 65-70 to 56, and I started to feel lightheaded when rising etc. so now I eat more, but don't loose much weight. When I have eaten less for longer periods before, it has been down to 45-50 at it's worst and I am very far from an atlete, so it is not a good thing for me, I am a bit scared it would happen again, feeling dizzy when laying down at times (I checked heart with ekg, thyroid etc, nothing wrong like that, but I might have PCOS, which might make it more difficult to loose weight).

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
OK, so I'm looking to lose fat around my stomach, thighs and calves. I've been to the gym for two weeks, although only a few days for each of the weeks because of uni work. I mostly get to and from uni on foot, most times so far with me sweating quite a bit. In terms of what I can do in the gym, I can only do 10 minutes on the bike, treadmill, rowing machine and the elliptical, and can only lift 14 kg on the weights; I feel a bit depressed because there are girls skinnier than me who can lift more.

In terms of my eating habits, I probably eat way too many carbs especially during dinner because of my staple food (rice), I often crave meat, hot chocolate and spicy flavoured noodles, and I think this is what's making me gain weight rapidly (up to 68 kg, don't really know about height). I could eat smaller portions, but I find that hard to do, and I'm not that interested in eating fruits and vegetables. I also eat really fast because of my rushing habits in the past when I desperately wanted to get more free time after eating.

Overall, I feel like I've made no progress.

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
Does seriously anyone know anything about yoga?

Is it really that healthy as everyone says? honestly, some of the practices seem really rudimentary and are not difficult at all and I'm surprised they're considered poses. It seems most poses go between easy and insanely difficult.

i don't care at all about the spiritual practices I only care about the health benefits. I don't like how slow a lot of yoga is and I wanted something intensive and more fast paced o_O

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Although I maybe fit and good for giving some decent advice for fitness, it just don't feel right. I will however return with better advice than I previously had before.. For your sakes, not mine.. In the meantime I hope you're all killing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have not been looking for expert advice, mainly just if anyone had some info on yoga and what would be the best types that someone like myself would be looking to and the like, etc

of overwhelming,
I'm by no means any expert within yoga, but living in Australia I'm completely aware of (since I have attended many sessions of) free yoga classes that "Lululemon" holds every Sunday at each of their stores. The professional yoga teachers there will happily give you "better" advice than many.. Although, I'm starting to think that Lululemon maybe an Australian only franchise.. If so, I apologise.. Ha! There's definitely other similar franchises that could help you out. Places that sell yoga mats. Inquire within

·
Banned
2,122 Posts

Although I maybe fit and good for giving some decent advice for fitness, it just don't feel right. I will however return with better advice than I previously had before.. For your sakes, not mine.. In the meantime I hope you're all killing it!

Is that story true or just a fake story created to inspire people?

781 - 800 of 905 Posts