Personality Cafe banner

821 - 840 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
I used to walk everywhere all of the time, plus running, long boarding, and all cycling a fair amount and sometimes hiking.

Are you sure it's just weak muscles? I also used to go to the gym on a regular basis for a couple of years. I'm still in fairly good shape, but definitely not compared to before. I think I could have some arthritis in some areas due to hurting myself.

Is it true though that if you hurt yourself in an area and it causes chronic pain on and off does that mean that it will stay like that for life? is there any methods to relieve the pain at all or to lessen it at all besides drugs? I never had any pain in my body until I started becoming physically active on a regular basis.
How much have you stretched though? Stretching allows muscles to relax.. turns them into jelly. Watch an Olympic athlete before they do their routine; they look like jello.

Not stretching is the number one cause of pain. So I suggest full body stretching before you make any conclusions like arthritis or whatever. If for some reason it gets worse, you may be injured and seeing a doctor / physical therapist would be best. I don't specialize in treatment so if it's something bad then get different help. But to me it sounds like it can be corrected with stretching due to the muscles being hard, due to lots of physical activity possibly without enough stretching, and due to the description of the pain.

I can give some stretching tips:

the feet and the hand posture is very important in a stretch - dorsiflexion helps flex the glutes whereas plantar flexion helps flex the quads. If your quad is tight then working on your dorsiflexion should really help.

Stretching the back helps shoulder flexibility and hip flexibility. This is probably another area you need to work on considering you are a male who is physically active.

When you stretch make sure to do it often, to relax the muscle you are stretching, to move slowly, to never exceed a position you can't hold for longer than 5 seconds, and to breathe deeply throughout the hold. Make sure the whole body is warmed up before the stretch and make sure you work on both the upper and lower body particularly around the hips and shoulders. And I emphasize RELAX. Flexing the muscle is not good.

People who often complain of shoulder pain or lower back pain due to working a desk job and not stretching. They are putting too much stress (weight) on weak points and neglecting spreading the weight around for the whole body to bear (AKA proper posture).

It sounds like that is your problem and it's fixable if that is the case.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Ah. This thread is great timing. Any tips for those struggling to start on day 1 for their workout? I'd like to lose some weight but I always tend to postpone my gym sessions lately. :/

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
Ah. This thread is great timing. Any tips for those struggling to start on day 1 for their workout? I'd like to lose some weight but I always tend to postpone my gym sessions lately. :/

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk
Yeah make day 1 slow paced. For example, dont do a new movement fast but rather slow. Push-ups go down slow and up slow, pull-ups go up slow and down slow, lunges go down slow and up slow. And take it easy. Don't do more than 10 reps of any one thing; instead do a different thing and work on weaknesses.

You have to work up to intense things like jumping, running, heavy weight, etc.

Walking is a great way to start. Not only is it healthier than running but it is easier.

As far as motivation goes, I find it's best to learn about exercise. The more you know about something, the more you can enjoy it. There's YouTube videos, websites, people all over the place. You don't have to be amazing at working out, just a couple minutes of trying new things helps a lot. If you feel sick it's because you're working harder than you should be at your fitness level. I know I've been victim of throwing up and feeling sick and it's because I had the wrong mentality. It's not about trying super hard, it's all about patience.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yeah make day 1 slow paced. For example, dont do a new movement fast but rather slow. Push-ups go down slow and up slow, pull-ups go up slow and down slow, lunges go down slow and up slow. And take it easy. Don't do more than 10 reps of any one thing; instead do a different thing and work on weaknesses.

You have to work up to intense things like jumping, running, heavy weight, etc.

Walking is a great way to start. Not only is it healthier than running but it is easier.

As far as motivation goes, I find it's best to learn about exercise. The more you know about something, the more you can enjoy it. There's YouTube videos, websites, people all over the place. You don't have to be amazing at working out, just a couple minutes of trying new things helps a lot. If you feel sick it's because you're working harder than you should be at your fitness level. I know I've been victim of throwing up and feeling sick and it's because I had the wrong mentality. It's not about trying super hard, it's all about patience.
Wow you just nailed the last part. I think that's the most useful mindset I could have when exercising. I didn't like my motivation back then anyway so at least at this point, I am doing it for myself. It will be a good head start. Thanks Stel!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I believe some here doesn't know because you haven't reach that performance level. I think this can assist someone. :)

Picture this.
You're really sweating after a rough work-out. Your body won't cool down at all. The sweat is never ending. You shower and the sweat still ooze out ruining your day. :(
What can you do? You should wash your hands and forearms in really cold water and eat some ice-cream.

Why does it work?
Your body while in peak performance and load dissipates almost all excess heat thru the forearms and hands. Human anatomy ftw! By dipping them in cold water your body will almost instantly cool off your whole system. It's an awesome feeling! The ice-cream. It cools down the nasal cavity and throat making the air you breath in cooler further cooling off your blood in the lungs. Ice-cream lingers a while in the stomach allowing more blood to cool down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ah I wanna loose roughly 60-70 lb, and build some muscle, not too much, I just want to be toned..

but where I live is cold and have snow, I really don't want to go out,
my apartment is also small and not enough space to exercise, any tips to motivate me?

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
ah I wanna loose roughly 60-70 lb, and build some muscle, not too much, I just want to be toned..

but where I live is cold and have snow, I really don't want to go out,
my apartment is also small and not enough space to exercise, any tips to motivate me?
I know the cold sucks. :/ I live in a place where it gets hot in the summer then cold in the winter and it's hard to find motivation in the cold sometimes, especially when you are used to exercising in 90+ degree weather without even sweating until you're tired. There's a reason people in hot climates look fit and people in cold climates look fat. Are you sure you want to lose 60-70 lbs? That's a lot of insulation. I'm fit and I absolutely hate the cold... my body just can't handle it well. I want to put on everything from gloves to scarves to jackets to hats.

If you do want to lose 60-70 lbs I recommend a low carb diet with higher fats to make up for Calories. This helps your body burn fat instead of sugar. Also keeping your heart rate at an aerobic pace burns fat. If you are steady and long lasting that's fat burning but if you are explosive and intense that's sugar burning.

If you get good at meditating you can be in an aerobic pace easier as well as fight the cold easier by warming up your body with your mind. This is what I have to do to stay warm. To meditate you just have to empty your mind of thoughts and focus on something like breathing deep.

My best advice for motivation is that the feeling is unobtainable any other way. If you go out and run in the cold you'll feel exposed to nature in a way that brings fulfillment and joy simultaneously. It's just a great way to spend time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Stelliferous

Oh thank you so much!
That information is helpful!

I want to lose 60-70 lb simply because Im not fit, tbh I dun even know my weight,
I just only remember being around 185lb, about 2 years ago. not to mention thats a lot of weight,
morbidly obese for someone my height: 5"3 (but I don't look like one tho.. ppl still mistaken me as 150 at best..
its probably due to just my body type, I've always been overweight since I was child, I dunno if its just genetics or what...)

Thanks for the diet tip, I'll definitely try that with the mediate technique, idk about the running in the snow though
its just not safe...in the summer definitely, but not now T_T;;

how about long walks? or any tips for simple body movement/sketch that I can do indoor without flinging
myself across that room so I can still safely burn fat?

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
@Stelliferous

Oh thank you so much!
That information is helpful!

I want to lose 60-70 lb simply because Im not fit, tbh I dun even know my weight,
I just only remember being around 185lb, about 2 years ago. not to mention thats a lot of weight,
morbidly obese for someone my height: 5"3 (but I don't look like one tho.. ppl still mistaken me as 150 at best..
its probably due to just my body type, I've always been overweight since I was child, I dunno if its just genetics or what...)

Thanks for the diet tip, I'll definitely try that with the mediate technique, idk about the running in the snow though
its just not safe...in the summer definitely, but not now T_T;;

how about long walks? or any tips for simple body movement/sketch that I can do indoor without flinging
myself across that room so I can still safely burn fat?
Walks are great (but in the cold might suck) and I recommend them over running.

If you want to do cardio in door there's a lot of ways to run in place. You can do jumping jacks, high knees, jogging in place, martial art punches and kicks, burpees (these are hardcore), and lots of ab exercises. You can even do yoga which is low impact. There's plenty to do in a small place. Most calisthenics workouts require no equipment and just gravity. If you simply move at a pace that your heart rate rises to like 100-150 and stay in that zone for 20+ minutes every day you can lose weight. You don't want to do jumping jacks for that long. Most people do like 20 different moves for one minute each.

I get by in my room and it's literally just 7 feet by 5 feet of open space. I think 8x8 would be enough for anything and everything.

I wouldnt have a weight loss goal based on number. Rather I would make my goal like "cardio 20 minutes, 5x a week" as a goal. Just let everything feel naturally progressive. Patience is all you need, not discipline. Physical fitness is a fight against time, not weight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@Stelliferous

Thanks for those tips I'm currently planning to get a routine to fit in with my schedule to lose weight!
those work out examples you gave looked fun (I had to YT some of them to see how its actually done)
I'm glad it doesn't take up space! I wont have to worry about pacing around & knocking things over.

keeping the heart 100-150 pace is gonna prove a challenge without a reader,
but I'll be sure to come back to post some results in 4-6 weeks time! thanks!!

·
Banned
7,275 Posts
Okay, this is kind of obscure, but I don't know for how long it's been, but I've noticed that my face has become kind of sunken in looking. I've gained a lot of weight recently, but does gaining and losing weight kind of regularly for a period of time permanently cause your face to look sunken in or will it go away?

It was bugging me, and I couldn't figure out what it was, but my face is a little sunken in looking : /

It's really difficult for me to gain weight, but even though I've been eating a lot more, I'm still sort of skinny.

I will talk to a doctor soon, but it's just weird.

Is this sort of normal if you have high cheekbones? I think it may just be the lighting and I'm seeing things. I am not sure...

I have developed really dark circles under my eyes from coffee I think too : (

How long does it take shit like this to clear up? looks sort of like this actually is this normal? he has high cheekbones but his face looks sort of sunken in or some shit.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I'm a bit in disbelief right now, however I just found out today that I'm gluten intolerant...Can someone help me out with this? Apparently I need more fiber in my diet as well, and just to make things more interesting, I'm also lactose intolerant and I'm strictly pescatarian.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I'm a bit in disbelief right now, however I just found out today that I'm gluten intolerant...Can someone help me out with this? Apparently I need more fiber in my diet as well, and just to make things more interesting, I'm also lactose intolerant and I'm strictly pescatarian.
Ditto, in fact I'm most grain intolerant. Nothing bad happens but I get chronic indigestion and a lot of gas and bloating. The only grains I eat now are quinoa (not a true grain but well tolerated) and brown rice, this one in small doses only. Plenty of fibre in vegetables so the easiest way to do this is to replace your grain content with cooked vegetables instead. It only took me a month to get used to eating a vegetable meal for breakfast (I often have stamed broccoli with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce) instead of cereals. Some people who are gluten intolerant can still tolerate oats well, so try that if you must have a breakfast cereal.

I also take a protein shake to bulk up my food easily and use a vegan protein made from brown rice and peas. I add frozen banana, raspberries, coconut cream\milk and cocoa powder. No sweetener required, its yummy and tastes great. If you want to bulk up the fibre content you can add rolled oats to it for a low GI breakfast shake.

In Australia I get my vegan protein from Bulk Nutrients, cheap and good quality and shipping is fast (24-48hrs delivered across 3 states fast). I use their Earth Protein. Elsewhere? I don't know.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Ditto, in fact I'm most grain intolerant. Nothing bad happens but I get chronic indigestion and a lot of gas and bloating. The only grains I eat now are quinoa (not a true grain but well tolerated) and brown rice, this one in small doses only. Plenty of fibre in vegetables so the easiest way to do this is to replace your grain content with cooked vegetables instead. It only took me a month to get used to eating a vegetable meal for breakfast (I often have stamed broccoli with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce) instead of cereals. Some people who are gluten intolerant can still tolerate oats well, so try that if you must have a breakfast cereal.

I also take a protein shake to bulk up my food easily and use a vegan protein made from brown rice and peas. I add frozen banana, raspberries, coconut cream\milk and cocoa powder. No sweetener required, its yummy and tastes great. If you want to bulk up the fibre content you can add rolled oats to it for a low GI breakfast shake.

In Australia I get my vegan protein from Bulk Nutrients, cheap and good quality and shipping is fast (24-48hrs delivered across 3 states fast). I use their Earth Protein. Elsewhere? I don't know.
I appreciate your advice.

This reminded me of when I was in China. The breakfasts I had there have lots of vegetables, and seem very healthy and filling. I'm going to try to have more rice and oats in my diet, and certainly even more vegetables.
It's frustrating however, as it was hard enough trying to get food that didn't contain lactose/dairy, which sometimes made going to restaurants more difficult - then again, I can only imagine how difficult it would be with an intolerance to nearly all grains. When I'm back in China I'll be especially grateful for breakfast that are vegetables and rice!

How much better is brown rice over white rice?

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Well browns got the bran on it still so higher in fibre. I prefer it because I find it more filling than white rice and it takes longer to be digested so helps me feel fuller for longer. Its also nicely chewy. But other than that, not a lot of difference.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Okay, this is kind of obscure, but I don't know for how long it's been, but I've noticed that my face has become kind of sunken in looking. I've gained a lot of weight recently, but does gaining and losing weight kind of regularly for a period of time permanently cause your face to look sunken in or will it go away?

It was bugging me, and I couldn't figure out what it was, but my face is a little sunken in looking : /

It's really difficult for me to gain weight, but even though I've been eating a lot more, I'm still sort of skinny.

Is this sort of normal if you have high cheekbones? I think it may just be the lighting and I'm seeing things. I am not sure...

How long does it take shit like this to clear up? looks sort of like this actually is this normal? he has high cheekbones but his face looks sort of sunken in or some shit.
I personally find my cheeks get sunken when I have no sleep and high stress for a long period of time (I also have high cheek bones and dark circles). I think eating and sleeping properly helps (Ive managed to have a few days off and have eaten and slept a lot better and am looking less deathly)

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Hi. I figured I'd maybe be better off just posting here than making my own thread, so I hope this is some place my question(s) can possibly be answered.

So I just started going back to the gym after probably like 3-4 years (I wasn't completely inactive during this time. I go on nature walks whenever I can. They're usually about 1-2 hours.) My goal is to tone, but I'm very specific about that goal in that I don't want visible muscle anywhere. Key points being, I want a flatter stomach with no visible abs, and a tighter butt that still..for lack of a better word, bounces. Sorry. >_>

My current plan is to work out 3 days a week, an hour each time. I figured I'd spend 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 30 minutes working out whatever body part I'm focused on that day be it triceps, quads, whatever. I'm just wondering if this is too much for what I'm after.

Not sure if this is necessary to mention but I'm about 5 ft 8, 140 pounds. I have no desire to lose or gain weight.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Hi. I figured I'd maybe be better off just posting here than making my own thread, so I hope this is some place my question(s) can possibly be answered.

So I just started going back to the gym after probably like 3-4 years (I wasn't completely inactive during this time. I go on nature walks whenever I can. They're usually about 1-2 hours.) My goal is to tone, but I'm very specific about that goal in that I don't want visible muscle anywhere. Key points being, I want a flatter stomach with no visible abs, and a tighter butt that still..for lack of a better word, bounces. Sorry. >_>

My current plan is to work out 3 days a week, an hour each time. I figured I'd spend 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 30 minutes working out whatever body part I'm focused on that day be it triceps, quads, whatever. I'm just wondering if this is too much for what I'm after.

Not sure if this is necessary to mention but I'm about 5 ft 8, 140 pounds. I have no desire to lose or gain weight.
For what you want a body fat % of around 20% will be just about right. Most women look slim and trim at this rate but not ripped. You can even develop the muscle underneath to a significant degree and still not have muscle definition at 20% body fat. Quite easily achievable for a female.

Get a routine of 5-6 compound exercises that work the whole body (this keeps you proportional) and do them 3 times a week. You'll pull everything in nice and tight without building up any one muscle to noticeable levels. For a flat stomach you are better off working the whole core than doing ab exercises.

I've been doing a bodyweight only routine like this for around 2 months and am very happy with the results. Everything's firmer, higher, tighter but not looking like a she-hulk. I chose bodyweight because I wanted to workout outside of a gym, I did have to buy a $20 chin-up bar though.

·
Registered
16,187 Posts
@Skittles Berry Punch

Also flat stomach is mostly about the deep ab muscles strength. If you sort of suck in toward the spine while flexing your abs instead of pushing out then it's much better at both flattening the abs and increasing the strength coming from your abs.

I agree with @EndsOfTheEarth in that body fat % should be your focus for your appearance. This is mostly a dietary concern, upping your intake of fat to offset your fat burning that inevitably comes from exercising. Or you could just eat carbs every 20 minutes to keep your body from burning anything but carbs lol. Then before you sleep eat high fat content food like cheese or something.

Just keep an eye on your appearance and adjust by adding and taking away certain things. You know those before and after pictures you see on tv? That's usually the same person like 4 hours after, going from fit to bloated by eating a ton of junk food and drinking soda. A lot of people think exercise can drastically alter your appearance but that takes a ton of work to do or low body fat %. Shape comes mostly from diet.

·
Registered
16,187 Posts

Well it could be many things but most probably it's the effect of gravity over time. You can fight against this by changing your position sleeping or by adjusting your daily activities to include being upside down or even just perpendicular to what it is normally. Or you could use your face muscles to resist by smiling for extended periods. Or you could go to outer space. Or a new planet with lighter gravity.

It's easier to fight against than sagging breasts because you have facial muscles. Even just talking can have that effect of resisting gravity. Or raising your eyebrows while listening. Or laughing. All kinds of ways to resist.

821 - 840 of 905 Posts