Personality Cafe banner

861 - 880 of 905 Posts

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
I've started being serious at the gym. I've spent a lifetime on endurance training. A problem with lifting is when I step-up the weight there's always a point where I either can do no repetitions, to which I step down again and can do a buttload of repetitions again. Any suggestion in how to combat this? It keeps happening in all exercises.

I know for a fact I am slowly growing strength and muscles. I measure by tape and the loads do increase. I expect to get tired AF and have aches and what not. I feel nothing after my gym-sessions.

Should I ignore it and continue as I do. I do see improvements after all. :)
Are you trying to build strength or muscle (size)

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
Strength.
You could try rippetoe starting strength: Starting Strength

Or another way is to do a hypertrophy block, strength block, peak block so you gradually lower the reps as you up the weight. The best way to do this is to find your one rep max using a calculator and then start with a low percentage of your one rep max, every week make it a little harder so that when you calculate your 1rm based on the exercise it would be slightly higher than when you started the cycle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
@pwowq

I've started being serious at the gym. I've spent a lifetime on endurance training. A problem with lifting is when I step-up the weight there's always a point where I either can do no repetitions, to which I step down again and can do a buttload of repetitions again. Any suggestion in how to combat this? It keeps happening in all exercises.

I know for a fact I am slowly growing strength and muscles. I measure by tape and the loads do increase. I expect to get tired AF and have aches and what not. I feel nothing after my gym-sessions.

Should I ignore it and continue as I do. I do see improvements after all. :)
It depends on what your goal is. Me personally I usually do 12-10-8-12 which means I will start with lets say 50kg then 55 then 60 then 50 again if I am struggling. I understand the fear of going too heavy when you don't have someone to train with that can spot you though.

If you are making gains that are satisfying though why bother going super heavy ? I never pay attention to what others are lifting just doing my own thing that feels right.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
@pwowq

If you are making gains that are satisfying though why bother going super heavy ? I never pay attention to what others are lifting just doing my own thing that feels right.
I'm alone at the gym. I just want to get tired and feel like I've done something. A gym apparently can't provide it. Pain is life.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm alone at the gym. I just want to get tired and feel like I've done something. A gym apparently can't provide it. Pain is life.
Unfortunate to hear that mate, I've hit something of a wall with fitness at the moment also.. I spend a ton of time working out and eating clean but I just aint losing weight fast enough.... And for me to cheat with roids is not an option so I am very much not motivated right now :(

When you have someone to spot you its much more motivating I think

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,065 Posts
Any experienced swimmers here? I'm trying to improve my freestyle swim-stroke and get better at swimming in general, but I'm not building anymore stamina and haven't been making any improvements in a while. Also struggling with bilateral breathing, can't submerge for long because the breathing is awkward. What can I do to improve my fitness/technique?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Can I do Pilates or Yoga to replace weight lifting?
Well, depends on what you want out of exercising?

Pilates combined with yoga would give you weight-loss if that's what you're asking' Pilates being the main driver.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, depends on what you want out of exercising?

Pilates combined with yoga would give you weight-loss if that's what you're asking' Pilates being the main driver.
I mean it in the sense of building muscle could it replace weight lifting?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
No. It'd make you more limber and help your muscles deal with stress' For example taking sharp movements. It's why many professional sports-players do yoga/stretching but it wouldn't strengthen your muscles like weightlifting would.

What you're going for with weight lifting is hypertrophy and the most basic way to explain it is that when you weightlift you create Micro-tears in your muscles' your body then grows over those micro-tears to adapt to the stress of weightlifting. I.E your body strengthening

Make sense?

·
Registered
289 Posts
No. It'd make you more limber and help your muscles deal with stress' For example taking sharp movements. It's why many professional sports-players do yoga/stretching but it wouldn't strengthen your muscles like weightlifting would.

What you're going for with weight lifting is hypertrophy and the most basic way to explain it is that when you weightlift you create Micro-tears in your muscles' your body then grows over those micro-tears to adapt to the stress of weightlifting. I.E your body strengthening

Make sense?
Yes, it makes sense. One problem I experience while doing weight lifting (for arm exercises), is that my right arm (dominant) is better able to keep going whereas my left arm tires out much quicker. Do you know the reason for this?

Also, I've been told in the past the I've been in starvation mode and my muscles have atrophied (except lately I have been exercising.) Is there way to know for sure whether I'm still in this state or not?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I havn't been feeling myself lately.

One problem I experience while doing weight lifting (for arm exercises), is that my right arm (dominant) is better able to keep going whereas my left arm tires out much quicker. Do you know the reason for this?
Reply:

That's usually how it goes with arm dominance, I don't know much about why our brain picks a certain hand to use over the other but I do know that's pretty normal. @ your non dominant arm tiring before your dominant one

It's kinda funny because as a child I was always left handed but my mother (who's right handed) thought you could only be right handed so for years she taught me how to write and work with my right hand instead of my left.

Even during weightlifting I've noticed I have far more pushing strength with my left compared to my right even when I do the majority of work with my right such as writing, lifting, gripping.. so on so forth. My left arm tires much more slowly then my right arm aswell. I'm not formally educated about the topic but it almost makes me wonder if our brains just receive signals differently for both arms no matter which we use dominantly?

I'unno. It's a showerthought.

Also, I've been told in the past the I've been in starvation mode and my muscles have atrophied (except lately I have been exercising.) Is there way to know for sure whether I'm still in this state or not?
Reply:

As far as I know "starvation mode" is when you're taking in less calories then you're burning up for an extended period of time. How long that is? Idk.

Every person has a Resting caloric-use and for the sake of argument I'll say that yours is around 1500cal (average woman) and mine's 2000cal (average man). If you take in less then those amounts, your body begins using fat reserves in your body to sustain yourself. After a certain amount of time it begins to eat away muscle too if you're not using it so I'm guessing that's Starvation mode? Whatever that is.

Just eat girl lmao' Protein and fatty (natural fats) foods are very good for lifting. Peanut butter is a very cheap way to to meet your caloric intake/supplement protein outside of eating red meats, eggs and fish.

I'd assume though if you have a healthy appetite you're not starving yourself. I don't know your eating habits so I can only guess but the biggest thing about weightlifting is eating enough to actually put on mass/muscle. For example I eat around 3500/4000 because I lift strength train every other day.

edit:

By the way I'm not a coach or anything' I just spend alot of my time alone lifting. This is all information I've picked up throughout the years' if you have any doubts about any of it I highly suggest using google or watching strength trainers explanation videos. I'll always give you my best answers and if I can't I'll point you in a direction that will.

I'm personally a big fan of Alan Thrall tho' I follow a lot of his philosophy's toward lifting.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I havn't been feeling myself lately.

Reply:

That's usually how it goes with arm dominance, I don't know much about why our brain picks a certain hand to use over the other but I do know that's pretty normal. @ your non dominant arm tiring before your dominant one

It's kinda funny because as a child I was always left handed but my mother (who's right handed) thought you could only be right handed so for years she taught me how to write and work with my right hand instead of my left.

Even during weightlifting I've noticed I have far more pushing strength with my left compared to my right even when I do the majority of work with my right such as writing, lifting, gripping.. so on so forth. My left arm tires much more slowly then my right arm aswell. I'm not formally educated about the topic but it almost makes me wonder if our brains just receive signals differently for both arms no matter which we use dominantly?

I'unno. It's a showerthought.

Reply:

As far as I know "starvation mode" is when you're taking in less calories then you're burning up for an extended period of time. How long that is? Idk.

Every person has a Resting caloric-use and for the sake of argument I'll say that yours is around 1500cal (average woman) and mine's 2000cal (average man). If you take in less then those amounts, your body begins using fat reserves in your body to sustain yourself. After a certain amount of time it begins to eat away muscle too if you're not using it so I'm guessing that's Starvation mode? Whatever that is.

Just eat girl lmao' Protein and fatty (natural fats) foods are very good for lifting. Peanut butter is a very cheap way to to meet your caloric intake/supplement protein outside of eating red meats, eggs and fish.

I'd assume though if you have a healthy appetite you're not starving yourself. I don't know your eating habits so I can only guess but the biggest thing about weightlifting is eating enough to actually put on mass/muscle. For example I eat around 3500/4000 because I lift strength train every other day.

edit:

By the way I'm not a coach or anything' I just spend alot of my time alone lifting. This is all information I've picked up throughout the years' if you have any doubts about any of it I highly suggest using google or watching strength trainers explanation videos. I'll always give you my best answers and if I can't I'll point you in a direction that will.

I'm personally a big fan of Alan Thrall tho' I follow a lot of his philosophy's toward lifting.
Oh no worries, I hope it isn't anything serious like depression and etc. Thank you for the tips though and I'll check out Mr. Thrall :)

As for my eating habits I eat two medium-size meals a day. I just don't have an appetite honestly. I love food, but I forget to eat or don't get hungry. it's bad to a point that I have to set clock reminders on my phone. I don't know why this is haha because I used to eat a LOT. Like lots of junk and 3 meals a day type of behavior and now it's the opposite.

Just the other day for breakfast (11:00 am) I had 2 egg whites and an orange w/ some water and then dinner I had a bowl of soup around 6pm. Even if I am hungry it's very easy for my mind to ignore that impulse.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Definately not. It could tone a bit but not really build much.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Why are my runs so inconsistent? Some days I can go 8+ miles with relative ease. Yesterday I was gassed at 1 and a half

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
What's the point in doing dead lifts?
It depends. I do it because its a competition lift. Other people do it to strengthen the posterior chain. It hits almost every muscle group in the body, and because it's a full body lift that hits all the muscles in the body, you can go much Much MUCH heavier than on exercises targeted at a single body part which allows you to overload muscles and create a greater training stimulus.

861 - 880 of 905 Posts