Personality Cafe banner

12941 - 12960 of 13012 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Would it bother you if...

You asked a friend to crash at his place until you get back on your feet. Your friend lives with a roommate who has agreed to let you use his room to sleep. But the roommate never speaks to you the entire time you're living in the apartment. Would him never speaking to you bother you?

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
For me personally (Hi, it's me from the Now), Se is is my least favorite function (in close combat with Fi, actually). And I can't say I appreciate it much in other people... in fact seem to denounce it.
Interesting. Once upon a time, I came to the conclusion that via a socionics research quest, I determined that ENTPs would highly dislike Fi. Using the same methods, I determined that INTPs would hate Se. I don't remember the other ones. Maybe INTJ was Fe, but I don't remember. Whatever it was, I found it very consistent in observations of the ENTPs on this site that they tended to have a marked distaste for the Fi users. Lots of posts about it.

I did not observe as much Se hate in INTPs though. I think I fit the bill to some extent though. Physical confrontation and all that, not that appetizing.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Interesting. Once upon a time, I came to the conclusion that via a socionics research quest, I determined that ENTPs would highly dislike Fi. Using the same methods, I determined that INTPs would hate Se. I don't remember the other ones. Maybe INTJ was Fe, but I don't remember. Whatever it was, I found it very consistent in observations of the ENTPs on this site that they tended to have a marked distaste for the Fi users. Lots of posts about it.

I did not observe as much Se hate in INTPs though. I think I fit the bill to some extent though. Physical confrontation and all that, not that appetizing.
Yep, PoLR-functions. The i/e opposite of the tertiary function, so: Se for us, Fi for ENTPs, Fe you rememguessered it correctly for INTJs.

They are just alien in an annoying, "not even interested" sort of way; which at least the regular inferior functions do have going for them.

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
Would it bother you if...

You asked a friend to crash at his place until you get back on your feet. Your friend lives with a roommate who has agreed to let you use his room to sleep. But the roommate never speaks to you the entire time you're living in the apartment. Would him never speaking to you bother you?
Probably not.

I'd wonder if he was annoyed at me for taking up the room and not want to stay any longer than I needed to, but I'd likely prefer it if he didn't talk to me.
If I'm ever in a situation where someone would be socially expected to speak to me, but don't, I just think that they are like me and don't like talking to people that much, so I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Yep, PoLR-functions. The i/e opposite of the tertiary function, so: Se for us, Fi for ENTPs, Fe you rememguessered it correctly for INTJs.

They are just alien in an annoying, "not even interested" sort of way; which at least the regular inferior functions do have going for them.
Yes, I remember buying clothes as a kid. It was all about finding one pair of pants that I liked and then buying it in every color. The t-shirt selection was more difficult though because they had to feel nice and soft. Tight shirts were annoying.

More frighteningly though, I have a pair of shorts that I have a photograph of myself wearing in the middle of 2012, and I don't think it was new back then either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As someone who keeps getting INTP and INTJ after taking the tests, I often times have a hard time distinguishing which of my traits are INTP and which are intj.* My question here has to do with self-regulation. Is self-regulation a predominantly INTJ trait or is it an INTP trait. By self-regulation I mean, I sometimes become self-conscious about how much time I spend doing things like playing video games or playing chess or otherwise not using my time productively. For this reason, I sometimes introduce guardrails that are designed to limit said behavior. For example, I have installed time regulation apps to impose a predetermined schedule for said behavior. I have done this many times and in other aspects of my life. My brother looked at me as if I was crazy when he realized what I was doing. So my question is would that form of self-regulation be characterized as either a predominantly intj trait or is it an INTP traits.*

In addition to the self-regulation trait, I am also:

a. Often dislike messiness or lack of structure. That said, I also don't like to strictly limit myself with a detailed schedule. I prefer to follow my schedule but be able to adapt whenever there's a problem or development.

b. I hate unpreparedness. In college, I often previewed a given semester's courses (the more difficult science and math courses) before the semester began. However, I am also capable of adapting to the situation whenever that becomes necessary.*

Does anyone else (i.e. INTP) have something similar? or am I simply sort of a hybrid?*

·
Registered
INTP 5w4
934 Posts
As someone who keeps getting INTP and INTJ after taking the tests, I often times have a hard time distinguishing which of my traits are INTP and which are intj.* My question here has to do with self-regulation. Is self-regulation a predominantly INTJ trait or is it an INTP trait. By self-regulation I mean, I sometimes become self-conscious about how much time I spend doing things like playing video games or playing chess or otherwise not using my time productively. For this reason, I sometimes introduce guardrails that are designed to limit said behavior. For example, I have installed time regulation apps to impose a predetermined schedule for said behavior. I have done this many times and in other aspects of my life. My brother looked at me as if I was crazy when he realized what I was doing. So my question is would that form of self-regulation be characterized as either a predominantly intj trait or is it an INTP traits.*
I get self conscious about how much time I am spending doing certain things, and I might want to limit the time I spend doing those things, I might think about how I would go about limiting my time doing those things. Do I ever go through with it and actually limit my time doing those things? Not consciously. For example, I was using a picture sharing app called Imgur far too often. I disliked how much time I was spending looking through stupid memes. So I uninstalled the app. I installed it again about a week later because I convinced myself that it was no big deal, but then I subconsciously started using it less and less.
I still have the app installed on my phone, but I haven't used it in months.

So if I make a conscious effort to stop doing something that I feel is wasting my time, I'll probably start doing it again, but there is a chance that I will subconsciously start doing that thing less and less anyway, without any thought going into it. It's like I just woke up one day and forgot that imgur existed.

What you describe, to me, sounds more like an INTJ thing. It sounds more Te heavy. I think an important distinction to make is that 'Wasting my time' really has nothing to do with productivity for me, it's more like I'm tired of doing this one unproductive thing and would rather do this other unproductive thing more.

In addition to the self-regulation trait, I am also:

a. Often dislike messiness or lack of structure. That said, I also don't like to strictly limit myself with a detailed schedule. I prefer to follow my schedule but be able to adapt whenever there's a problem or development.
I don't have schedules, I have routines. My routines account for a large amount of messiness as well.
If you were INTJ then your desire to be able to adapt if things interrupt your schedule could come from inferior Se.

Having a schedule is quite alien to me. I know what I like to do with my time and I know the time I will have to do the things I like.

b. I hate unpreparedness. In college, I often previewed a given semester's courses (the more difficult science and math courses) before the semester began. However, I am also capable of adapting to the situation whenever that becomes necessary.
This goes along with routines. When I was in college I would have what I needed out of routine and usually just the bare essentials.
All of my stuff was in my bag and didn't really ever leave my bag unless I was using it, whenever I was done using it, it went back in my bag out of habit so I never forgot anything.
I didn't read any course previews because I figured that I would just deal with the information whenever the time came to learn it in lectures.

I dislike when people have the inability to improvise more than when they are unprepared.
There have been a few situations where someone has planned something for them and myself to do, the plan has gone wrong and I've been perfectly fine to just do something else, but I've seen others break down and cry when their plans get interrupted which I don't really understand.

To me, you sound INTJ. Or at least not INTP.
Of course you could just be a more organised INTP with better developed Si. Upbringing factors a lot into things like this.

But I don't schedule, I don't really have any concept of being 'unprepared' because if you can improvise then you're usually fine in most situations, and I'm fine with messiness. I don't like looking messy to others, probably attributable to inferior Fe and wanting to avoid rocking the boat.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
How to fucking add subtitles to movies properly, in sync?
I have excellent experience with this! Bonus from my China time, I guess.

Use Pot Player: https://potplayer.daum.net/

It has a 'download subtitles' option which can attempt to find subtitles for whatever you're watching. Just make sure you haven't changed the name of the file you downloaded, because that's how it searches for it. This way, you're guaranteed to have the correct subtitles for the film you're watching.

If you can't find the exact subtitles, you can try others and use the subtitle tracking controls to get the timing correct.

HOWEVER. Be careful, because sometimes different versions of the same film can be minutely different (e.g. a 720p version might be 0.001% slower than the 1080p version, so the subs always end up out of sync if you don't have the correct subs for the correct version).

Basically, if the subs start out in sync, then later they slowly move out of sync, you're screwed and will have to find other subtitles.

Anyway try Pot Player, it's the best I've found, after lots and lots of trial and error with others!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have excellent experience with this! Bonus from my China time, I guess.

Use Pot Player: https://potplayer.daum.net/

It has a 'download subtitles' option which can attempt to find subtitles for whatever you're watching. Just make sure you haven't changed the name of the file you downloaded, because that's how it searches for it. This way, you're guaranteed to have the correct subtitles for the film you're watching.

If you can't find the exact subtitles, you can try others and use the subtitle tracking controls to get the timing correct.

HOWEVER. Be careful, because sometimes different versions of the same film can be minutely different (e.g. a 720p version might be 0.001% slower than the 1080p version, so the subs always end up out of sync if you don't have the correct subs for the correct version).

Basically, if the subs start out in sync, then later they slowly move out of sync, you're screwed and will have to find other subtitles.

Anyway try Pot Player, it's the best I've found, after lots and lots of trial and error with others!
Wow thanks, will experiment with it.

Just a stupid shame I accidentally downloaded and installed Avast Antivirus with it - ugh, hard to shake off.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Wow thanks, will experiment with it.

Just a stupid shame I accidentally downloaded and installed Avast Antivirus with it - ugh, hard to shake off.
Noooo, sorry I forgot about that. It happened to me too, I was greatly annoyed!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Why do you guys go on monologues sometimes? (Coming from a place of curiosity, not trying to be mean, sorry!) I'm just curious why this happens in social settings sometimes and I can't tell if it's because you either don't read the room right and realize you've lost everyone like 3 minutes ago or if you just don't care because you've waited so long to put your thoughts together so now you really want to share it or ???? Is it more important to get the idea out there at all costs even if no one engages with it / you lose people along the way or are you hoping people will actually follow you down the mental exercise you're laying out and if so then why not engage others in a back and forth versus just talking for so long?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Why do you guys go on monologues sometimes? (Coming from a place of curiosity, not trying to be mean, sorry!) I'm just curious why this happens in social settings sometimes and I can't tell if it's because you either don't read the room right and realize you've lost everyone like 3 minutes ago or if you just don't care because you've waited so long to put your thoughts together so now you really want to share it or ???? Is it more important to get the idea out there at all costs even if no one engages with it / you lose people along the way or are you hoping people will actually follow you down the mental exercise you're laying out and if so then why not engage others in a back and forth versus just talking for so long?
Truthfully I don't care. Putting my thoughts into words helps me sort them out, and since I often have nothing to say to others and am pressured to talk,I fill the air with what's in my head. I sometimes fantasize about having an interlocutor showing interest in learning or bouncing my ideas back at me into a mutually enriching feedback loop, , but it rarely happens. No one cares, so when else am I going to talk about it?

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
I am currently 6 weeks into never leaving my assigned housing lot and I am bored. My friend has invited me to a backpacking/camping trip that will take 10+ days. It seems like a good idea to build upon my frail form through strenuous exercise. It could be fun or very painful.

What is your experience, if any, with the outdoors?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am currently 6 weeks into never leaving my assigned housing lot and I am bored. My friend has invited me to a backpacking/camping trip that will take 10+ days. It seems like a good idea to build upon my frail form through strenuous exercise. It could be fun or very painful.

What is your experience, if any, with the outdoors?
Bro , pain and strenuous exercises are the best things you can do right now ... Actually being outside of your confort zone as Intp makes your Ne alot more focus .

But i guess , getting motivated and just thinking that you are gonna expend more than 10 days without your normal life is a big turn off but hell.... just fucking do it .

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Bro , pain and strenuous exercises are the best things you can do right now ... Actually being outside of your confort zone as Intp makes your Ne alot more focus .

But i guess , getting motivated and just thinking that you are gonna expend more than 10 days without your normal life is a big turn off but hell.... just fucking do it .
I am doing it. The Amazon delivery of equipment is on its way.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
i love meeting new people

when you go outside make sure to do something worthwhile else you're gonna be severely dissatisfied with your experience. Pretend you're a dog and pee all over your friend's belongings.
My dogs were allowed in the backyard deck yesterday. They all just ran around in circles for no reason.

12941 - 12960 of 13012 Posts