Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I think this is a quite interesting subject to talk about, and to know if any of you have these sensations.

From ASMR Research & Support,
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

- Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns
- Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures
- Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
- Enjoying a piece of art or music
- Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.
- Close, personal attention from another person
- Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back
Here are two examples of triggers for me:

So, does anyone else here have similar sensations?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Very strange, but very interesting! I've often touched a particular spot on my scalp (usually toward the back and to the right, above my right ear) where there's a distinct prickling that happens when I'm writing, listening to music or feeling strong emotion. I've felt the prickling, ripple effect strongest when I'm listening to music and creating a mental showcase that represents a song.
I've even wondered before if there's a way to feel one's brain. Sometimes I avoid certain stimuli including songs that are cathartic for me, movies and TV drama (including the 'reality TV' variety, which can be wrought with conflict). But the scalp prickling is very specific; I've even experienced an odd thrumming, "butterflies" sensation in my stomach spreading down to my knees when settling down to a favorite movie or researching something I enjoy.
Incredible stuff!

·
Registered
INFJ
5,920 Posts
I've actually taught myself to will that to happen without having to think a particular thought. It's like I kinda tell my body to make it happens and it just happens at will, so I probably experience type A more often than type B, but I find the type B experience is better because it happens unexpectedly, and I get this feeling like I'm experiencing something bigger than me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I can get things like that sometimes. My triggers:

-Someone playing with my hair
-Thinking about something adventurous (like planning what I'm going to do in Skyrim or something akin to that)
-Specific pieces of music (this usually ends up triggering an addictive response...I'll listen to the song over and over just to get that feeling...until, finally, the response stops for that song--usually for many years)
-Thinking about or feeling someone massaging the muscles on both sides of my spine
-Someone speaking in my ear, especially if they are male and have a baritone voice
-Someone standing behind me, leaning over my shoulder, or almost-but-not-quite touching my head--especially hovering a finger right between my eyebrows

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
This is what I've always assumed people were talking about when they have said that they gotten "chills" from listening to music.

I get this from music especially, but sometimes any kind of moving or awesome performance will do it. So I attribute it to art and pop culture, essentially. Sometimes I only feel it in my right cheek, sometimes it starts at the back of my head and spreads like a wave over the top part of my torso.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've actually taught myself to will that to happen without having to think a particular thought. It's like I kinda tell my body to make it happens and it just happens at will, so I probably experience type A more often than type B, but I find the type B experience is better because it happens unexpectedly, and I get this feeling like I'm experiencing something bigger than me.
This happens to me too (more pronounced in my spinal cord for some reason) and didn't know it had a name.
Wow, I find amazing that you taught yourself to will that to happen. How can you do it? Can you explain?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I get this quite often when listening to music. Acoustic guitar with intimate headphones is usually what does it for me. Never knew they had a name for it.
Violin for me. :tongue:

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
Huh, had no idea there was a name for this. Intense music usually triggers it in me; D&B does it most often. Also, stringed instruments. In fact, most of what I listen to elicits this kind of response to varying degrees (although, eventually, I habituate to it and have to go searching for new music). Trying to recall some of my more vivid dreams will do it. Also, if I attend a lecture by someone who's good at keeping the audience engaged, and the subject is one that greatly interests me, it'll happen.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,920 Posts
This happens to me too (more pronounced in my spinal cord for some reason) and didn't know it had a name.
Wow, I find amazing that you taught yourself to will that to happen. How can you do it? Can you explain?
I think I'd try to remember a stimulus first and then try to make myself remember how it feels then I'd just kinda tell myself in my mind "remember how that felt?" and just go by the memory of the sensation in order to reproduce it, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This happens to me often when I listen to music also. I know my triggers are minor chords and some chord changes, beat drops and crescendos. I used to practice triggering these with thought. I never knew it was called ASMR. I was taught how to do it with visualization. It called something like "cracking the nut" or "clicking". Its a visual focus on the amygdala to activate it. The result is somewhat like controlled euphoria. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Woah. I'm an observer of this forum but I had to post in this topic. I've been searching the internet for this tingling feeling and what it is for ages. Can't believe I just randomly came across it while browsing haha.

My experience of this only fits in with: "- Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event
- Enjoying a piece of art or music"

I can't say I have experienced it for any of the other possible scenarios. I mainly feel it when watching a film/tv scene which I find deeply emotionally touching or if its incredibly well done I will feel it in kind of an awe of the director or actor who has pulled it off. It's an incredible sensation, it begins in my skull and depending on the strength of it can go all the way down to my toes.

I think I might feel it unusually strong for some reason. I feel like people would be more enthusiastic about it if it felt as good to them as it does to me. Anyway, happy to have finally found an answer!

·
Registered
629 Posts
The other day I went through a bunch of my old songs from high school, and ---WEIRD, just got ASMR as I was thinking about what I was going to type -- I kept getting ASMR. And so I kept going through more songs, because I love that feeling.

I've realized, though, that I get the majority of the "chills" through my shoulders, arms, and down through my spine. Every once in a while they go through my face and jaw, but rarely up actually in my brain. I wonder if that means it's a different thing?

I get this all the time. Almost daily, really.

Reactions: user87 and Rauder
1 - 20 of 29 Posts