Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend has Ataxia, in effect he has bad coordination, especially walking and at times has problems concentrating, but not that often really. He is 30, I am 43 and sometimes I see him as a younger version of myself. Not because of his Ataxia, I don't have that. But because he's weak. Stuff gets to him so easily. He doesn't assert himself, not even with me, which just drives me crazy because he can. Instead of doing that, he looks at me with those doggy eyes, expecting me to respond to his needs, but sometimes it is just to much. It is this "the world is bad to me, please be kind to me" attitude I had myself, expecting special treatment, because I'm so weak, I tell you, I see myself in him as I was perhaps just 10 years ago and I could trash is face (not for real of course).
Yes, you don't have it easy, that's why you have to toughen up and be a survivor. Not grow less sensible of other people, but have some damn pride about who you are.
I talked about this a few times, but don't have much effect of him, of course I don't, this is something that has to come from the inside. In the meantime, he is at moms and dads, every third weekend, getting pampered, he has a cold he goes there too. I wished he would treat himself like a fucking man (or strong woman, there really is no difference) but he doesn't.

Yesterday he came into my room and usually when I does I start providing some entertainment, like we watch a movie together or some stuff on Youtube. Yesterday I didn't. And he didn't even had the guts to ask me if we should watch something or if it wasn't a good time or anything. I myself didn't check for his eyes this time, lol.
I feel a bit guilty but i just can't give him everything on a silver platter every time, it doesn#t feel anymore like I were doing him a favor.

It's the other way around also, he comforts me with bullshit, like when I was applying for this film school, he said over and over and over again, "they will take you", now I like the gesture, but he didn't even read my stuff (because it was in English), this was just some empty-feel-good-stuff and I hate that. I like being comforted but I hate being "lied" at.

Suffice to say we are great friends otherwise and are on the same wavelength most of the time, he is very intelligent, which you can tell by his sense of humor, the kind that catches you off guard for second, before you realize what he just said, lol :p

Anyways, it's beside the point trying to change him, I can just encourage him.
But this wasn't the point of this thread either.

Do you see things in other people that you have surpassed a little, accepted about yourself or simply don't allow to reign over you, no matter how not easy that is? And does it drive you nuts to?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
A friend of mine, who, in the past, just couldn't make decisions. I used to be like that myself before our friendship and it used to make me annoyed. I think it was because I was annoyed at my previous self for having been so indecisive, and recognising that it's a way of always passing responsibility onto other people. I never outwardly showed my annoyance at her but sometimes I could have shaken her. You just can't make people come to realisations unless they're ready I don't think, and that's a part of their life deal. Our life deal is to deal with our annoyance at them and our frustration of knowing what it is to not be doing that anymore!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts