Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking into asperger's more and more lately in fear that i may have it.
a lot of the symptoms match up with my life and i even scored high on an online test for it.
i think i'd be able to determine whether i have it or not better if i heard from someone who has it discuss it in their own words.
so anyone?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had a friend who was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, the only really 'odd behaviours' I noticed about him were his extremely violent attitude and his tendencies to show up at my house at 4 in the morning! Although I am reading over the symptoms now, they all seem to apply to him.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed when I was 9 but I don't think I have it; I think most of the symptoms came because my childhood generally was very shitty.

But if you have it, so what? It's only a bad thing if it's actually causing you trouble and if so, it's only a matter of identifying the problems so you can work with them. I mean, people without mental disorders are really just people that haven't been diagnosed yet. Everybody has something, whether there's a diagnosis for it or not.

The only way for you to really find out if you have it is to get diagnosed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yea I wouldn't trust online tests and the worse thing you can do is diagnose yourself with it... I'd see a doctor to know for sure

·
Premium Member
15,247 Posts
The test @ Psych Central says I'm not.

Results of your
Autism / Asperger's Screening Quiz:
You scored a total of 28

Autism likely - 34 & up
Possible autism - 30 - 33
No autism - 0 - 29

You have answered this autism screening in such a way as to suggest that you are not likely currently suffering from an austism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's disorder.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
As far as correlation with mbti I think the most likely functions would be Te, Si, Ni, Ti.

INTPs often have Asperger's, but ISTJs and INTJs are the most likely. Speaking as someone who was diagnosed with autism as a child then Asperger's when I got older Fi, Se and Fe are probably the functions that those AS feel the most uncomfortable using so it's unlikely you do have it .

If you have sensory issues/motor skills problems only then would I consider looking at the other symptoms.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've met a couple people with Asperger's, and it's always obvious right away. I think the disorder goes beyond social awkwardness and obsessive personalities; in my experience (which, of course, is my experience and quite limited, so don't take anything too seriously) it's obvious right away that something is 'off' about them. For example, they have odd vocal inflections when speaking, and just generally when you look at their eyes, it's like they're not there.

Some people might have a few of these qualities when you first meet them, I think because they're shy and/or introverted, but as you get to know them they get more 'normal' because they're comfortable around you. The people with Asperger's who I know stay kind of the same.

Reactions: Roze

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
An old friend of mine got diagnosed as well. Not sure if it's a good thing, though. He was fired immediately because of the diagnosis. He has some weird humor that I can appreciate, he's very clever and has a photographic memory. In my eyes he's more sociable than most people I know. So I was like, wtf?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I am sort of "on the cusp" - I either have a high number of ADHD/Asperger's traits for a neurotypical person, or I am a very highly functioning person with ADHD/Asperger's.

Basically, the Asperger's side of me gets very focused on very specific things, gets stuck in certain habits/rituals (I once had peanut butter and jelly for lunch every day for 3 years, prepared exactly the same way each time). I am definitely hypersensitive; I have issues with over-stimulation with light, sound, smell, and touch all the time. (I cut off all the tags in my clothes because tags are so painful to me,) I have trouble understanding social conventions/rules/norms - if I figure out what they are, even, I still don't understand why I should go along with them, and I usually choose not to. I can be very blunt, accidentally hurting people sometimes without even meaning to. :crazy: I also have a tendency to get overly fixated on truth and justice. All these are traits associated with Asperger's.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think if i have it it's very minor and controlled or at least not very debilitating.
i'll read more on it still just out of interest. i don't think its anything to worry about .

·
Registered
716 Posts
The thing with the tags in clothes is also a HSP thing. But I have the same thing with tags, though. Just looking at them makes me itchy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The thing with the tags in clothes is also a HSP thing. But I have the same thing with tags, though. Just looking at them makes me itchy.
Hypersensitivity issues are pretty common with Aspies. So anyone who has Asperger's would probably be an HSP.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My little brother has Asperger's.

With that said, if you have it, it probably would have already been diagnosed (how old are you?).
If you are that worried about it, see a doc about it.

Even if you do have it, is it really a detrimental force in your life? My brother has it, and he's FAR more socialble and liked by his peers than I ever was. So, it's what you make of it.

However, stay away from self-diagnosing; leave it to the professionals.

Reactions: Aßbiscuits

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I think the most important question you need to ask if you feel you are functioning properly in a social sense. Because that is where most of the problems occur. Do you feel, in general, that you are able to accurately gauge people?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the most important question you need to ask if you feel you are functioning properly in a social sense. Because that is where most of the problems occur. Do you feel, in general, that you are able to accurately gauge people?
i'm a rather socially awkward person but i manage. i don't feel that i have any difficulty understanding people or their intentions, however i do over analyze to the point that i can never come to a conclusion.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
i'm a rather socially awkward person but i manage. i don't feel that i have any difficulty understanding people or their intentions, however i do over analyze to the point that i can never come to a conclusion.
That just sounds like you're an INxx personality type, not Aspy. So you're probably good. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
That sounds much the same as me. I have never actively checked on aspie symptoms with myself though the online tests leave room for doubt on that score.
Overthinking and over analysing is very definitely an ADD thing and may also simply be just a common INFP quirk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
However, stay away from self-diagnosing; leave it to the professionals.
i really don't see a reason in being diagnosed at all even if i really do have it . i wouldn't want people to know, this would just be for my own personal understanding.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts