Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been having doubts and confusions on which career path to follow. I am currently majoring in engineering even though I couldn't afford to go to college this semester. But I am not a 100% sure that's what I want to do with my life. I have read bunch of career choice guides and probably the best advice was to assess your strengths and weakness. Only problem is I am not even sure if I have any strengths. I kind of suck at almost everything I do except for things I prefer to be beaten to death for 10 years straight(no breaks) instead of doing them. So I am not really sure how to assess my strengths. So any guesses on how to do this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lately I have been having doubts and confusions on which career path to follow. I am currently majoring in engineering even though I couldn't afford to go to college this semester. But I am not a 100% sure that's what I want to do with my life. I have read bunch of career choice guides and probably the best advice was to assess your strengths and weakness. Only problem is I am not even sure if I have any strengths. I kind of suck at almost everything I do except for things I prefer to be beaten to death for 10 years straight(no breaks) instead of doing them. So I am not really sure how to assess my strengths. So any guesses on how to do this?
If you're completely clueless about yourself I'd say take a lot of tests. Though not sure how this can be since you ended up in a place like PerC. So I will assume you just don't connect all the info with your life. In which case I suggest you to think more about it. An introspective period will help you to make those connections.

Analyze everything you do in your life. Like there are those small accomplishments that make you happy - like fixing something or making something or solving a problem or talking to someone or give directions to someone or convince someone or I don't know, whatever, doing some ordinary thing - Write a list of these
And then try to pinpoint exactly why do you like them?, one by one. This may give you general directions.
You could then try to combine those things with some form of engineering or using skills you've learned in your studies.
Just think about it.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I though this thread was going to die. still kind of is but at least some one answered. I have done many personality test and have analyzed my life. Some say too much. I mainly had a hard time defining what are actually considered strengths and what way they are considered strengths. I bought a book called Strength Finder 2.0 that had a test you did online. That helped give me a bit more perspective in my strengths.

·
Registered
215 Posts
As Ireth is suggesting, I think it is all about finding what you think and what you know are your strengths and weaknesses.

If you are having trouble thinking about them etc. Be CONFIDENT and write them down.
Make a list. Don't be afriad to be cocky...

The list could be:
What you enjoy doing.
What you are good at.
What you are interested in.
What your options are.
What your experiences are.
Do you like travel.
Do you like working in a team.
Do you like working by yourself or in a group.

Talk to others about these things...
Talk to engineers, people in that industry etc. to see what it is truly like...
If you have connections maybe get some insight/ work experience...

I have always been quite certain in what I wanted to do. Although, you are probably older than me etc.
I chose animation (gaming) because [1] I liked art, [2] I wanted to use and be in a creative environment,
[3] I like playing games (even though I am a noob), [4] I wanted to be challenged,
[5] If I didn't want to continue in the gaming industry, I could use my skills in modelling buildings etc etc. or go into advertising...

Dunno hopefully this gives you some ideas of some sort... :crazy:

So yeah...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts