Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer to go to the classroom and listen to the professor's lectures or get a general feel of the class and learn everything basically by yourself at your own pace? Yeah, you can do both, but which do you prefer. Or is there any other way?

·
Registered
715 Posts
depending on the lecturer. some of them recite in a way that makes it easy for me to keep attention, some of them make me fall asleep as soon as they start talking.
i like listening to the former and skip most of the latter.

Reactions: alyssa_

·
Registered
745 Posts
^ I ditto @glarbinator. Also, working through problems myself or with others (i.e., the homework). Pestering the professor with questions about "Am I thinking about this problem correctly?" I suck at studying, but I will go to class and do the homework. Explaining how I solved a problem to someone else also helps.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Also, working through problems myself or with others (i.e., the homework). Pestering the professor with questions about "Am I thinking about this problem correctly?" I suck at studying, but I will go to class and do the homework. Explaining how I solved a problem to someone else also helps.
i'd pretty soon give up on going to classes if i did that. i don't study in groups. i don't ask questions as long as i think i'd be able to answer the question with help of friend google. otherwise my reserves for social interaction are empty when i come home and my partner would get even less affection.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
attending lectures is the best way for me to learn because i can see/hear/understand what is being said due to the high level of Se. Self study is one of the worst things to do for me since i can never find the motivation for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hmm, I actually prefer reading the material myself at my own pace. Which is why I hate units with continuous assessments. Give me a week before the final exam and I'll learn all the material. I don't want to keep studying bit by bit over a semester.

I usually find myself tuning out during lectures. And an hour or two of sitting still and listening just makes me fidget even more.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Do you prefer to go to the classroom and listen to the professor's lectures or get a general feel of the class and learn everything basically by yourself at your own pace? Yeah, you can do both, but which do you prefer. Or is there any other way?
The second one, I guess

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Going to lecture, and taking notes is usually enough for me to learn the material. I hardly ever read the assigned readings (unless it's an English class or something like that), because usually what's in the readings will be presented at the lectures. I see it as a waste of time. I never study either. That's a waste of time too.

When written assignments are due, they usually get done at the last minute.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i'd pretty soon give up on going to classes if i did that. i don't study in groups. i don't ask questions as long as i think i'd be able to answer the question with help of friend google. otherwise my reserves for social interaction are empty when i come home and my partner would get even less affection.

I like working through problems by myself, but the material I am doing (quantum physics) is kinda hard to get through without collaboration/help from others (I am certainly no genius, especially with abstract ideas!). Frankly, I don't have the motivation of self-study to search the internet for answers to things like quantum when I can simply ask someone and have them explain it to me face to face, where I can grill them with more questions for an immediate answer.

I do agree that by the time I am done with group work I won't really care for social interaction. It helps that I have friends who study the same thing as I do, but for my friends who don't...they have to wait for the weekend.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I like working through problems by myself, but the material I am doing (quantum physics) is kinda hard to get through without collaboration/help from others
It's pretty much the same with linguistics for me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I like working through problems by myself, but the material I am doing (quantum physics) is kinda hard to get through without collaboration/help from others
ah, sure. IT is a lot more learning by doing anyway... guess i'd need help with quantum physics too ;)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Lectures. It's efficient. You just have to listen. You can also minimize how much you have to learn because teachers discuss what is important to them. What is important to them will be on the test.

If I really love the subject, such as science, I will learn everything on my own in pace with the class. Then the lectures are just the icing on the cake.

I don't study. I don't need to either which is a blessing. I also take notes just because I remember things better if I have written them down. I don't actually look at the notes when they are complete.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Lectures. It's efficient. You just have to listen. You can also minimize how much you have to learn because teachers discuss what is important to them. What is important to them will be on the test.

If I really love the subject, such as science, I will learn everything on my own in pace with the class. Then the lectures are just the icing on the cake.

I don't study. I don't need to either which is a blessing. I also take notes just because I remember things better if I have written them down. I don't actually look at the notes when they are complete.
i think you copied off my paper

Reactions: madhatter and BlueG

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
By osmosis.

That, plus I remember a large part of what I read, and most importantly... I have very, very good test taking skills.

Test taking skills are what you really need to have in school.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fake it until it becomes absolutely necessary, then watch someone do it and pick it up that way. When a teacher is blabbering on for thirty minutes about a point it takes twelve seconds to learn, I just tune out and fidget with a hacky-sack or whatever else is in my pocket.

And by tune out, I mean I simply can't focus on the lecture, even if I was willing to try.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I go to the lecture and listen to what's being said. I rarely take notes.
Then I'll go away and work through some examples to reinforce things in my mind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts