Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer to go to the classroom and listen to the professor's lectures or get a general feel of the class and learn everything basically by yourself at your own pace? Yeah, you can do both, but which do you prefer. Or is there any other way?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd rather go to class, but then I do side projects on my own. As far as the class material goes though I just like to sit there and absorb it (and then have everyone wonder how I just got an "A" on the test without taking any notes).

·
Banned
283 Posts
I'd rather go to class, but then I do side projects on my own. As far as the class material goes though I just like to sit there and absorb it (and then have everyone wonder how I just got an "A" on the test without taking any notes).

Same. Got in massive trouble with teachers over that.

·
Registered
721 Posts
As far as the class material goes though I just like to sit there and absorb it (and then have everyone wonder how I just got an "A" on the test without taking any notes).

Same again. I'd always watch with amazment the people who took 10 pages of notes in six different color pens and three different highlighters and with those little sticky tab things everywhere while I just sat there listening and wrote down maybe five words the entire class. But those would be the five words that were on the test and I'd usually end up doing better than those crazy note scribblers. I think I remember more by hearing it than just reading it to myself, so I prefer class. I am starting grad school next month, though, and our classes are 90% online, so I have no idea how I'm going to do with that...

Reactions: asewland

·
Registered
290 Posts
@Devin87 I've taken several online classes. If you have decent time management skills it's super convenient; you should be fine

I prefer attending classes. I don't really take notes. :p If anything I doodle, which counter-intuitively helps my mind focus on the material... my Ne can function sort of like a mental whiteboard for various annotations and connections between concepts, and then come test day the relevant information assimilates to the forefront. And yet my SJ teachers never got it. Tsk.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I get there, I zone out during the lecture, and I come out of the lecture having learned all the material.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I sleep through class while my mind soaks in, and arranges all of the information into my complex internal holographic HUD library system.

It is awesome.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I would absorb all the relevant information without trying. I also make connections between certain facts to come up with deeper implications; this made high school a breeze to pass, even though I wasn't there half the time. :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do both. If I hate the teacher's lecturing style I count more on the textbook or vice versa.
I'm a visual person, I need to write everything relevant down for me to remember. In general, I love to draw and layout my notes. It's great practice too as a graphic designer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I learned something interesting this year... My biology teacher decided to "punish" us for something absolutely ridiculous by having us all learn the taxonomy lesson by ourselves, and I actually made a higher grade on the test than I have at any point this year (95/100). So now when I truly care about a topic, I learn it on my own, then go to a reliable teacher to fill in the blanks.

Also, anybody else notice how public schools make an effort to reach out to the tactile students? One of my teachers told me that it was because there's a higher percentage of tactile learners out there. I'm completely auditory/visual, so that kind of sucks.

I agree, those students who do all of their ninja-highlighting and shit are crazy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I go to lectures and then the night before the test I repeat important things to myself 15 times. It's worked pretty well for me.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If I'm tired, record it and study it later.
If I'm awake, take notes, get bored, record it, and study later.
Hurray for cameras~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts