Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer to go to the classroom and listen to the professor's lectures or get a general feel of the class and learn everything basically by yourself at your own pace? Yeah, you can do both, but which do you prefer. Or is there any other way?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Haven't started college yet (high school) but for most of my honors/ap classes I simply show up to class and I get the material. O.O There are some days when I am obsessed about school work where I will actively challenge myself academically (like go way beyond the ciriculum) but for the most part I just get the material. :| I mean I find it hard to explain my logic sometimes but I usually get the answers correctly....

the key I believe is getting enough sleep and drinking a shit ton of water...

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm a visual learner for skill-based or step-based information; If I watch someone do something while they are explaining it, I generally pick it up fairly well. (Ex. Maths, Arts, tactile skills, etc.)

For lecture classes, reading the material is how I absorb things. (Ex. Histories, Humanities, Sciences, Literature, etc.) If the material is particularly challenging, having the instructor explain it in different terms is helpful. However, "learn at your own pace" isn't a great idea for me because then I don't feel as motivated to focus.

Also, for lecture classes most in-class activities are just added stress to me. Just throwing that out there.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
A bit of both. I tend to just listen to the professor (and don't read the material), as typically everything they say will appear on the exams, and nothing more than that. Sometimes, though, when the professor is slow and boring, but makes it clear what things we'll be learning, I'll go research it on my own time. I did that for one world history class where he outlined everything that would be on the tests, and I learned a lot more by surfing the web and poking around encyclopedias then I did by listening to him.

I'm also with @Symphi . I don't like a lot of "interactive" activities, I just want to sit and listen. Unless the thing we're learning is how to do something tangible (like bake a cake or something), then I just want to DO that and only get minimal instruction as I figure it out myself. One-track mind, I guess.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My stuying days are over....my learning days continue however.

In studying I always tried to understand the material rather than learn it. This was usually done by prepping by myself and then using lectures to answer any questions or gaps - even to the point of annoying lecturers if necessary to achieve the understanding necessary.

I found that in examinations instead of trying to recall facts I was able to visualise concepts and the facts took care of themselves.

Reactions: Zech

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
Hmmm I can't decide. It depends on the subject really. Sometimes I prefer figuring it out on my own, other times I really enjoy listening to a good lecture. Also depends how good the teacher is. If the teacher is really good, usually I will prefer listening to the teacher. But if the teacher is crap, then I'm stuck figuring it out on my own.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
If it's a subject that I'm passionated about(e.g. philosophy, psychology, literature) then I like learning about the material myself. However, if the subjects don't get my interest then I do prefer lectures since I will have no motivation to look at those subjects at my leisure time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I like having some sort of outline to go by when listening to lectures, it helps me not to get lost in my own thoughts/ideas regarding the topic so that I can actually get the little details I need to absorb for those pesky fill in the blank questions >.> ....

if only tests were one huge essay question I'd be alright

I absorb through reading as well... sometimes it helps to follow along if the teachers lecture is based off the book,

one problem I have is that I can read and listen at the same time, I can listen to many different people talking at the same time, I can watch something and write at the same time,

but I can not listen and write at the same time especially if the person talks faster than I write, i'll start skipping words or start writing the word they just said when I'm really like 4 words before that and it screws me up ;-;

I hate school too much pressure, I prefer private studies or tutors

·
Registered
275 Posts
Power point + lecture is how I learn best. The power point covers the main ideas, and the lecture gets the details that can be plugged in between the lines. When studying all I need to do is just read to absorb the material. If the material has a lot of depth to it, it usually isn't until the end of the reading that I start to really understand it when I start putting it all together in my head. I used to think I was weird since pretty much everybody I know takes notes, highlight, etc. I don't do any of that, just read it. But after doing well academically I was able to prove to myself that I was just awesome :p. I wonder if that's an example of Ti and Te?
I like pictures too lol. Symbols. If the professor does the added job of adding those to powerpoints/handouts it helps me for some reason. Ni powers? Heh...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If it's a subject that I'm passionated about(e.g. philosophy, psychology, literature) then I like learning about the material myself. However, if the subjects don't get my interest then I do prefer lectures since I will have no motivation to look at those subjects at my leisure time.
x2...same subject preferences =D

I would add, I would still go to lecture... and many (good) classes expect you to already have done all the reading material, so the lecture is going to be discussion of the material, instead of teaching the material.

I'll also add, I can't implore more how I HATE multiple choice exams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts