Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer to go to the classroom and listen to the professor's lectures or get a general feel of the class and learn everything basically by yourself at your own pace? Yeah, you can do both, but which do you prefer. Or is there any other way?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I prefer just to listen and learn it first time. I often do teach myself a lot of things however, but learning the material outside of lessons when you should've/could've learned it in the lesson, takes up far too much time. This time could be spent on any number of other activities.. Such as playing the ukulele or, a personal favourite of mine, sleeping!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ideally I'd love to do it at home and do it all at my own pace. I struggle to listen for an entire lecture, and it feels like information is being thrown at you so fast that you don't have time to comprehend it, or understand it properly. When I'm learning I like being able to make sure each part is understood fully, and compared to what i've learnt (especially in my 2 bio classes, where we have to understand the different taxa). And at the speed the information is relayed to me at uni, I end up organizing it wrong in my head, mostly because I can't focus 100% and be able to remember it like that.
So I always think 'oh it's okay to doze off now, I'll go through the text book and notes when i get home and comprehend it'..
except usually I don't bother, and end up doing that all the day before exams..

Reactions: lirica

·
Registered
374 Posts
I prefer lectures, as long as the professor is interesting. It's a lot easier for me to get into the subject if the professor is enthusiastic about what they teach. Learning things on my own is fine for stuff I'm already highly interested in, but in an academic setting I'd much rather just attend class. Besides, if I don't get something, I can ask a classmate for help (or vice versa).

Reactions: bromide

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I prefer reading and reflection in my own time. I often find it hard to follow and listen to lectures, because I have an urge to explore and reflect on conceptual possibilities, relationships and implications -- even while the professor drones on. That's why I'm often easily confused and have trouble following verbal directions :p

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I also wanted to add that this is similar to how I take in news. I generally don't like watching pod casts unless the story is super interesting. Even then I prefer to read the story to clarify. When the story is just the usual day-to-day drivel, I definitely prefer to read on my own. A pod cast or TV broadcast would send me to sleep.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I only did the bare minimum to pass, because I didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

I realized learning is a lifelong process, encompassing all areas of life.

Which is why I have a hard time learning in an institution.

If I could go back in time, I'd love to have gone to a school with smaller classes and more personal attention.

In fact, if I became an educator right now, that's what I'd do, have a small class with me and do random shit, I dunno like horseback riding and archery.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
It depends on the subject matter for me. For example, if it involves formulas or maths, I have to see it demonstrated step by step or I won't be able to follow. If it's theory and in my field, I like to read the material by myself and then participate in a group discussion on it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Interestingly enough I'd argue a lot of knowledge I've acquired, especially over the last 3-4 years, has been at my own accord, rather than at the hands of a lesson or a person telling me. How do I learn my material? That's an interesting question. I think if I just have an interest in the subject, whatever way its taught to me, I soak it up. If it's something I don't value personally then it's harder. Hmmm maybe I need to think about it a bit more haha.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,668 Posts
Interestingly enough I'd argue a lot of knowledge I've acquired, especially over the last 3-4 years, has been at my own accord, rather than at the hands of a lesson or a person telling me. How do I learn my material? That's an interesting question. I think if I just have an interest in the subject, whatever way its taught to me, I soak it up. If it's something I don't value personally then it's harder. Hmmm maybe I need to think about it a bit more haha.
I think we excel at self-learning.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I prefer to learn at my own pace and I tend to do better in subjects that interest me (like most people lol). Im in a math heavy economics class and the lectures are just so dull that I often find myself trying to remember what I dreamed about last night instead paying attention to whats going. it's kinda sad...

for bigger classes, I wish that lectures were video taped so i could resort to them whenever i wanted...pausing and interpreting as i please.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
The thing I most appreciated about the educational establishment was the environment and the structure. Because discipline is something I struggle with, being forced to be immersed in an institute of learning was largely beneficial in that it inspired in me the right frame of mind. Deadlines helped to keep me focused... in a sense. The rest of it was largely on me. The "problem" I have is that when I am confronted with a subject, particularly if it interests me, I want to research it and play around with it in a way that the structure of a lecture or a lesson will not allow.

Even when I was in school, I would always be reading the worksheet paragraphs ahead of the teacher and trying to tune out their droning voices as best I could (I'd even consider myself to have been a better reader too but let's let bygones be bygones). When I was young, they always said of me that I looked to be constantly daydreaming and as though I wasn't paying attention yet if I was asked a question I would answer it straight away and be right more often than not.

Nowhere was this more apparent than in University, though. In this case lectures actually worked against me, mostly because I would be turning up after having a limited amount of sleep and be forced to undergo verbal bombardment for a solid block of time. The only solace I could possibly have found in that situation was in private study! That being said, as the subject material was more intricate, I still appreciated the ability to be taught as it would have been equally heavy to digest alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.