Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Godfather series the other day, and pondering about michael and how he moves through the stages of his life. In the beginning he seems like someone many young adults could relate to- finding his own direction in life, choosing how he defines his life- perhaps the stage is best marked by how different and up in the air it is compared to his eventual fate. he certainly at this point hasn't got the capabilities to lead the family. even when he kills sollozzo, it's another several years at least before he begins to take on the responsibilities of the family, and a few more before vito dies and michael reaches his peak- and his ultimate direction. (man, godfather is such a sick film).

Presidents and prime ministers are never younger than 40s (at the most) either. it got me wondering, at what point does an ENFP reach the peak of their powers? obviously politicians and moblords are probably different to the ENFP stereotype, but wherever we find ourselves we must have a point where we consider ourselves (largely) fully developed- where there are bits and pieces to learn, but no wholesale changes to identity left to be accomplished. where might that lie for an ENFP?

all sorts of answers appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't really agree that anybody has a "peak" unless they give up the pursuit of knowledge in general. You should always be growing and learning something new about yourself.
Of course intellectual growth is a lot easier to absorb in the earlier years of life, this doesn't mean we should stop.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The way I see it, everyone develops in different time, but the "identity crisis" years are around the time that each function is developing. I consider it like when each one takes a turn body building - they already exist and are visible at times, but certain stages of life seem to demand that they buff up and exert themselves.

An ENFP starts out running almost exclusively on Ne - high energy, connections, and possibilities.
Around the teens, Fi starts to develop - adding values to process what Ne collects and a strong drive for harmony.
Around the 20s, Te becomes stronger - giving a need for control (sometimes bordering on perfectionism) and a sense of logic.
Around mid life, Si finally takes the helm - assessing past experiences to reevaluate future goals.

Not that every ENFP is going to be the same in any one of these regards, either. We all have different life experiences, enneagram, social groups, etc, and each of these can affect how the functions develop and react.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think all functions develop triggered by experiences and environment alongside with age. I think the peak is 40 years.

There's something mysterious about the number 40, Moses -peace and prayers be upon him- was sent after he reached 40, Muhammad -peace and prayers be upon him- was sent after he reached 40. In Kabbalah it's "the age of wisdom" and kabbalists prefer to teach those who are at least 40. Lent is 40 days, Moses spent 40 days receiving the 10 amendments. In Torah, Bible and Qur'an there is much significance on that number.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When do we peak? Never. Well, that isn't right. Huh... It's whenever you want to.

I mean, you're in control of your emotions and attitude, and that's gotta influence your mindset and determination too. If for whatever reason you've given up on something important in life and you don't want to move on, then yeah, you've "peaked".

That peak must always looked flat, but it's just a really, really teeny slope. You don't have to peak, or stop if you don't want to 'cuz it's up to you! Now stop worrying. Grab that gear and climb! We only got a little sunlight left and I'm sick of cold hotdogs..

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think development is highly dependent on the environment -> for example if you get lots of contradictory experiences your development either stagnates (-> you are overwhelmed and can't handle them) or speeds up (-> you develop a more complex world view). For example my social interactions where quite hard for me to make sense of (like parents punishing me for being honest) - so I got more the withdrawn/shy and my social skills got a little underdeveloped. However later I naturally learned dialectical thinking which is very helpful to understand just about anything (though complex) including my past.
I think you can speed up your development if you want by: doing stuff you normally wouldn't do, pursuing personal growth, getting really intimate with someone and facing all your issues/fears.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No peak, only ever onward!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I think it depends on the person. Some people peak early and then decline in their 20s and 30s. Others peak when they are 50 or older.

I don't want to peak really. I'd much rather plateau. And the later that happens, the better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts