Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Athazagoraphobia.”
(n.) the fear of forgetting, being forgotten or ignored, or being replaced.

This is me. I'm curious if any of you feel the same.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel the exact same. The worse thing is, that I know it's true; I will be replaced or forgotten. It's more or less my life story. Everyone forgets or replaces me. Even if I've been good to them. Still forgotten. How about you?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I've been pretty nice and close with the people around me and then... poof! They're gone. But I feel like it has something to do with how we act or how we got the message across. It seemed like they "left" because they think we want them to, by looking at our surfaces.

Reactions: Dont_Blink_11

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It is one of my number one fears, but as a quiet, not so interesting person, I'm afraid I am easily forgotten.... So it's more of a reality for me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think, what most people describe here is by no means a phobia. A phobia is an irrational fear. So the fear of being forgotten or ignored by others must be irrational. If you can explain your fear and have reasons for being afraid, because you have already lost friends by being ignored by them and really experienced this, it's not an irrational fear, but a rational one. That's at least my opinion.
Because I suffer from arachnophobia and I have never had any bad experience with spiders before, have never been bitten or had spider crawl over my body or anything like that. Still I get panic attacks whenever I see them or I'm used to check out rooms for spiders and so on.
So, in that case, I could imagine people who suffer from athazagoraphobia would probably not even try to make new friends and would rather isolate themselves than getting to know someone and put themselves in the situation of fear. Phobias always have a huge impact on your life. They are limiting us to a certain amount. I could for example never sleep in a room, if I knew that there was a huge spider sitting somewhere in this room.
Anything which doesn't have that huge, irrational impact is not a phobia.
We all know to a certain amount the fear of being ignored, or rather not getting enough attention. Because human beings grave for compliments and recognition, they grave for love and friendships. And whenever you don't get enough of it, it just feels like something is missing and you are afraid of your life not being fulfilled. That's at least how I feel about it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes! I've been pretty nice and close with the people around me and then... poof! They're gone. But I feel like it has something to do with how we act or how we got the message across. It seemed like they "left" because they think we want them to, by looking at our surfaces.
Hmm. I've never really experienced that before. It's more like, people just 'lose' interest in me and leave. Like that. I tend to be kind of clingy and territorial about my close friends because when I was younger I never really had any (frickin shooting stars they were) so when I did, I stuck. Of course, I'd never show anybody that and just appear calm and collected about the whole affair, but really, I die inside from the rejection. Again. It's more like, there's something wrong with my personality, than me appearing not to be interested...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am such a loner that those thoughts have never crossed my mind, if anything i'm the one guilty of ignoring people moving on and leaving them behind. But all the previous posts have left me feeling guilty because my actions or lack of actions are never done to intentionally hurt people, but now I see that they might have. Also to all the previous posts, infj's are anything but forgettable, if somebody doesn't recognize your beautiful and unique qualities and doesn't want to be part of your life then it's there loss.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a "phobia" in the sense of my other phobias, but I have had that definite fear. I am usually the "third wheel", oft-forgotten and left-out, so I can't say that I'm unfamiliar with the experience. :/ On the other hand, there are people who would always remember and love me, like my parents. Until they are dead, that is, but perhaps I'll have someone else who will.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know fear well and that is the only real fear I have these days, fear breeds fear. Negative thinking brings fear also. You peeps are pretty cool opening up and sharing what were once my own thoughts. It is totally weird but beautiful at the same time.

I do not mind others ignoring me just not while I am speaking with them..lol...I thought it was rude to just ignore a person like that, until I started doing it. I kind of understood how shallow or feeble minded I can be sometimes..lol..who knows they have a reason. It is easier to ignore others online than it is in real life. I do not always answer the phone. I do not always answer the door.

I said hello to this guy one day and we ended up becoming good friends. When we first introduced ourselves he made it a point to tell me that he has a habit of just walking away from people, if he does this please do not take it to mean anything I have done. I am thinking wow I have to see this to believe it..lol. It only took the next time we met. He just raced away and hid himself inside his home. After a few more chats through the week, most times he would say he is really sorry about this and he would race back inside. I did notice however that he spent a little bit more time with me the longer we knew each other. He was most comfortable indoors than outdoors. I lost touch with him but often think of his uniqueness.

If anyone did any replacing it is most likely me. I am the youngest of 4 brothers and 2 sisters. I do remember feeling jealous of them for something. I can't put my finger on what it was..hmmm. It was most likely something silly like getting 50 cents less pocket money then them...lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts