Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
I never met any religious people in my enviroment (it's quite rare nowadays in europe) so I had always been more or less an atheist... but I always had interest for the spiritual, since I was a kid.

Now I guess I'm an agnostic that likes to think there might be something else out there; then again that something is impossible to know and I don't beleive there ever was any sort of 'revelation'. And I don't like calling this something God.
I don't believe science has all the answers, or ever will; not by a looooooooong shot. But neither religion does.

I'm also interested in buddhism and eastern thought.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I never met any religious people in my enviroment (it's quite rare nowadays in europe) so I had always been more or less an atheist... but I always had interest for the spiritual, since I was a kid.
Hey, another Spanish INFP ^^

I suscribe your words though, I'm an atheist myself, despite being baptised and did confirmation at 14.

I remember going to church with my parent when I was a kid. Now, neither them are believers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am atheist and my INFP friend is also. I think that the religious aspect depends so much on upbringing and environment. Also spirituality is not restricted to religion.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hey, another Spanish INFP ^^

I suscribe your words though, I'm an atheist myself, despite being baptised and did confirmation at 14.

I remember going to church with my parent when I was a kid. Now, neither them are believers.
Hey, ¿ah sí? No esperaba encontrar a nadie más de aquí la verdad, esto no parece muy conocido en españa aparte de que casi nadie sabe inglés cómo para entrar en un foro xD

Seems not many religious INFPs so far...

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Religious: no. Spiritual: yes. While I find religions interesting in many ways, I dislike them for their dogmatism, their need to impose rules and ways of life on their followers. I have more reasons, but these are the main two. Don't want this to become an essay on my personal feelings and opinions on the religions of the world.

While I don't believe in a God or Gods or other higher entities, I do believe that there is more than meets the eye to this life and to this universe. My current spiritual journey serves to find explanations for those things we cannot see and explain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I grew up as a christian...actually it's really weird but right before I lost my faith I was reading the bible everyday and initially took a step back in a bid to 'earn' the title of a Christian, haha I was a precocious little 14 year old, I took so many steps back tho that the picture just kinda fell apart and I could see how the concept of religions in general is constructed, a very intuitive perspective I feel.

I would say I'm agnostic now, I (want) to believe what is is so wonderfully complex and ungraspable that we can't and shouldn't try to pin it down in our simplistic human language but just feel and live it!! (Wishy washy much..hehe :tongue:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Grew up in a mostly atheist environment, eventually I started meditating and reading about many different religions out of curiosity. Saw benefits from meditation, so I suppose you could call me agnostic. But my beliefs are really my own, and they are constantly changing as I grow older and learn more. This is the way it should be in my opinion, no point following the beliefs of other people when you can just figure it out for yourself.

·
Banned
512 Posts
Im athiest
if a god created me then how the fuck did i come out of a woman

i have no time to try to comprehend the propoganda

im athiest

i ask god folk why they believe just to fuck with there head because once you get them all pumped up and then your just over it like it didnt even happen

then they try to pray for me

Also people who are god dependent seem like pathological liars im talking total thumpers

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am agnostic. I can not believe in a god as he is portrayed in the Bible or the Koran (even though I highly respect everyone's belief). To me, it just doesn't make sense. But at the same time, I do feel like there is some kind of spiritual world or some kind of higher power/energy. An energy that creates.. but I am very sceptic to the god as he is portrayed in the three big religions.

The interpretation of these religious texts vary, that's why evil in the name of religion exists. I believe that religion was created to tame the human race, to set up goals, to create a better generation of people. But since we all don't interpret these "messages" in the same way, and since we still in fact are animals (which religion denies or didn't know, because the people who wrote it at that time didn't know that we were an animal). We have our instincts & primitive behaviour, religion was a way to tame the violence & egoism but it didn't work, this could be viewed from different perspectives cause some people would say that it worked.. but whatever.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been an agnostic theist all my life. My parents are Christians, but we didn't go to church until I told them I didn't believe in the Bible. It freaked my parents out. I had so many questions, and each answer would just spawn more questions. At some point it was too difficult to remain neutral about it all. I realized that what I was reading and what I was being told couldn't be reconciled with what I understood about the world.

I'm not spiritual, either. That's another part of INFP profiles that doesn't apply to me. Religion, spirituality, and philosophy generally bore me, although the sociological consequences can be intriguing. I'm very superstitious, which is probably a subset of spiritual. It's a weird space between being skeptical about religion/spirituality as a larger framework yet believing in lucky objects and warding off bad luck by knocking on wood or tossing a pinch of salt over my shoulder.

Seems not many religious INFPs so far...
There are other threads about religion that have garnered plenty of responses. This one specifically asks for atheists and agnostics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am agnostic. I can not believe in a god as he is portrayed in the Bible or the Koran (even though I highly respect everyone's belief). To me, it just doesn't make sense. But at the same time, I do feel like there is some kind of spiritual world or some kind of higher power/energy. An energy that creates.. but I am very sceptic to the god as he is portrayed in the three big religions.

The interpretation of these religious texts vary, that's why evil in the name of religion exists. I believe that religion was created to tame the human race, to set up goals, to create a better generation of people. But since we all don't interpret these "messages" in the same way, and since we still in fact are animals (which religion denies or didn't know, because the people who wrote it at that time didn't know that we were an animal). We have our instincts & primitive behaviour, religion was a way to tame the violence & egoism but it didn't work, this could be viewed from different perspectives cause some people would say that it worked.. but whatever.
Well said! :laughing:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I am an atheist, and think that religious belief is an opinion like any other; you are entitled to have it, and I am entitled to say what I think, argue, and choose other friends if necessary. I was not raised in a religious household, although my parents are possessed by the conviction that faith is a virtue, regardless of truth. God cannot create nor accept, nor love, not turn his back on you, nor do anything else because he doesn't exist, and never has.

I also believe the capacity for morality comes from within, not from religion, and not from any secular philosophy. But philosophies of morality and ethics, be they religious or secular, can improve us in some ways. I don't hold animosity towards the religious, though we certainly disagree on some things. But obviously I don't agree with religious individuals, but neither of us are morally superior to the other.

·
MotM 5/2015 | Bankslayer
13,347 Posts
Quite obviously so~

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was raised baptist (a branch of christian, i guess) and attended catholic school from 2nd grade all the way til graduating high school. I never thought much of being christian or god, but for 6 months I went to public school and for the first time I realized there were people who weren't christian and that it wasn't just "you're either christian or an atheist." After that I was pretty much agnostic throughout all my my high school years and then maybe during my second year of college I decided I was an atheist. But that didn't last long with me. Something just didn't sit well with me. Soooo, then I went back to just being agnostic and then eventually I stopped trying to but a label on myself and realized I didn't believe in the christian "god" or any other monotheistic god for that matter.

I also realized that I am more of a spiritual person rather than religious. Er, well at least I was? What I mean to say is that, I'm at a place at my life where I'm okay not being either spiritual or religious. I'll never be religious again (if I ever was to being with). But if I was ever to get back into any kind of spiritual based practices, it'd be something along the lines of neo-paganism or pantheism, but as of right now I'm basically just a self-proclaimed non practicing pagan :p

I don't knock the individual for believe in god though. Just don't try and convert me, please. I truly believe the point of the creation of religion and god was made to better people and give them hope and the will to go on in life (hey some people just can't go on knowing there might not be anything after we die). Religion and believing in god as a whole has been corrupted so bad that it's just used as a tool to control people, harass the minority, and justify violence now.

While I realize monotheistic religion isn't for everyone and certainly not me, I still can't truly wrap my head around the fact that people believe in the bible and it's stories :/ Like god doesn't seem like a cool dude and he's very contradicting in his teachings and ways. Kinda reminds me of an abusive relationship . . . but hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion right? If it makes them a better person or gives them the will to get up every morning then I ain't gonna knock it. As for all the judgmental fucks out there spreading hate in the name of "god" they can all kindly fuck off.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was raised Christian, but declared myself agnostic about 2 years ago. Technically, I've always been agnostic but never knew the word existed until that day.

You don't need to be religious to be spiritual. I see religion as like ways if expressing spirituality.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts