Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
hahah Be careful not to take a few views as a general rule of how we're perceived and if you disagree well perhaps there's a chance they're simply ignorant.
I'd say religious views has more to do with the exposure to religion when one is growing up more than anything else. We more often than not take on many of the same values that our parents had. Really they're stretching the already very limited MBTI further than it can ever go. I get the vibe some folk seem to forget other things when they think in terms of Functions and MBTI, they forget that it's a theory at best and not a great deal of things actually tie into it at all.
It won't tell you how nice you are, if you like sports, if you're a avid debater, your values, your beliefs. So when people are making threads like do any INFPs or any ESTJs do something I do, looking for a common theme between them, they're wasting their time in trying to find a connection that couldn't be found without MBTI. So I assume these are inspired by boredom.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
In my signature you can see my "multiple intelligences" and such. I find it hard to believe there is a God when my logic tells me that I have senses that I work with and that's it. I wasn't brought up religious but I can feel the fear and guilt through my bones from Christianity that has poisoned our society deeply. I do not defy any religion though, I simply state my opinion of what I think it is: the pursuit of finding new truth or a way to lift weight from your shoulders, or sharing faith with others, or with yourself.

Reactions: CloudVinci

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think there's no or little correlation between MBTI-type and being religious, because you can be religious in so many different ways. I guess there is a correlation between MBTI-type and spirituality though. This is the more personal approach to "the higher power(s)", however percieved.

My hypothesis would be that Ni followed by Fi should be the strongest sources to spirituality, while Te is the most effective block.

I googled a bit and found these results on a Tarot-board:
MBTI - Poll - Aeclectic Tarot Forum

INFJ:s most common as expected. Followed by INFP:s. And then INTJ:s. Sure, Intraverts and Intuitives are always more common on Internet fora but I didn't expect so many INTJ:s believing in Tarot mysticism, because there's no external evidence for it what-so-ever. But I guess Te isn't as effective block to Ni in regards to spirituality as I thought.

I should add that despite believing that certain functions better corresponds to what we call spirituality, they are of course not "spiritual" per se. Actually believing in certain transcendent and mystical realities is highly dependent on social factors. An INFJ for example growing up in a totally atheist and materialist community would most likely interpret his/her Ni-experiences in a totally different way from one growing up in a deeply religious community.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hrm, I've never seen or been told about the correlation between INFPs and religion, but I do think NFs typically are more interested in mystical things than others.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Athiest INFP here. The only two deeply religious people I know are my mother (ESFJ) and my elder sister (ISFJ).

I feel as though being Christian works well for them, because many of the Christian values of love and tolerance are extremely well suited to those with a prevelant Extraverted Feeling function.

As an INFP, I pursued Atheism simply because I refused to adhere to any spiritual belief that I considered to be irrational, or lacking empirical evidence. It was more important to me that I be true to myself, rather than please my mother, by following her own example; virtuous as that may be.

I do however imagine that a religious INFP would most likely be deeply invested in their beliefs, viewing it as a large part of their identity. And this would make it very painful for them, should that part of their identity come under attack or criticism. Most likely, religious INFPs and ISFPs are the most fierce defenders of their religion. Which can be both a good and a bad thing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Athiest INFP here. The only two deeply religious people I know are my mother (ESFJ) and my elder sister (ISFJ).

I feel as though being Christian works well for them, because many of the Christian values of love and tolerance are extremely well suited to those with a prevelant Extraverted Feeling function.

As an INFP, I pursued Atheism simply because I refused to adhere to any spiritual belief that I considered to be irrational, or lacking empirical evidence. It was more important to me that I be true to myself, rather than please my mother, by following her own example; virtuous as that may be.

I do however imagine that a religious INFP would most likely be deeply invested in their beliefs, viewing it as a large part of their identity. And this would make it very painful for them, should that part of their identity come under attack or criticism. Most likely, religious INFPs and ISFPs are the most fierce defenders of their religion. Which can be both a good and a bad thing.
Are you interested in religion/spirituality at all? Obviously not in practice, but are you generally pulled toward mystical things?

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
Atheist and non spiritual INFP here. I find my fulfillment in nature and the laws of nature. You could class that as a belief system, well I certain abide as much as I can to respecting nature and its purposes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are you interested in religion/spirituality at all? Obviously not in practice, but are you generally pulled toward mystical things?
Does fantasy and magic count as "mystical"...? That's probably not quite what you meant xD

I wouldn't describe myself as being even remotely spiritual. Though I can definetely relate to the idea of wanting to "connect with something greater". I have explored this idea in the past, and even believed in re-incarnation for a brief while when I was younger, as that was what made the most sense to me. It wasn't until I became entirely monistic in my beliefs, that I abandoned all notion of the soul, or any underlying spiritual "layer" beyond or in unision with the physical and material world that I could see, hear and touch all around me. I never once considered this to be a loss of any sort, because I probably never beleived wholeheartedly in any kind of afterlife, or grand deity, despite having gone through the entire processes of Baptism, Communion and Confirmation in my youth.

I think I do still get a sense of being "connected" to life itself in spite of my Atheism. I'm aware that the universe is constructed entirely of atoms - and that the atoms that constitute my body, and indeed the body of all others were once formed in the heart of a dying star. When I look at the world in this way, viewing it as purely physical, it seems to make that sense of shared origin all the more significant. I do not feel as though a lack of soul, or life giving energy means my life lacks direction or purpose. My purpose is to experience the present. There are no rules to life beyond this.

My ex-girlfriend Rebecca (ENFP) is far more spiritual than I. She believed in spirit animals, who would come into our lives when we needed wisdom or guidance, wether we were aware of their presence or not. Interestingly, the enormous green-eyed wolf whom she had most recently become aware of was something I recalled having seen in the darkness of my own bedroom as a young boy. She instinctively "felt" that his name was Whisper, and the mixed feelings of fear and empowerment that she had whenever he was near to her were exactly the same feelings I had felt staring into it's eyes, years before I'd ever met her. And whilst this knowledge did fill us both with warmth, I quickly put it down to coincidence, presuming the "empowerment" to be nothing more than a rush of adrenaline I recieved, after my over-active imagination decided to place a wolf in my bedroom. And the colour of it's eyes, whilst harder to explain, was most likely the effect of an after-image on my retina.

Her family are not in the least bit religious. Though her mother practiced black magic - and my Ex herself described an interest in becoming actively Neo-Pagan. She held the night sky with great reverence and would stare into it with admiration and feelings of insignificance, longing to know what truths it held. When I do the same, I see vast beauty; but experience none of the same longings she described to me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I consider Atheism a religion :<

Besides that, I have a serious god complex. I dunno how to classify it theologically. Pantheism maybe? People don't like it when you tell them they're god. It's like they'd lose the ability to blame their problems on something external and that's just unacceptable to most people.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi I'm also an atheist INFP that is taking Religious Studies at school. Although I've always had an interest and like to learn about religions and spirituality, I just can't go up to the believing part, and can only see them as studying material. It's a little weird. Also the fact that science is really, really interesting and has a much more logical explanation of the universe is also another factor in me being an atheist.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Another atheist INFP here. I became an atheist a few years ago when I realized that organized religion and belief in God didn't correspond with my then-changing values. An existing god doesn't make sense to me logically and there's plenty of amazing things in the physical universe to be interested in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I consider Atheism a religion :<
I suppose belligerent atheists treat themselves like they are part of a religion. However, atheism just means the absence of belief. I could easily just say I'm non-religious, but saying I'm an atheist gets my point across better, and at one point I was actually a Christian.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Incorporeal beings? Disembodied spirits? Angels and demons? Oh yes, pure metaphysical gold.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts