Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any others out there?

In my quest for happiness I have stumbled upon Buddhism. I find it's philosophy quite... enlightening. Especially for an introvert who spends most time in his own head. Better to have a neat, clean and disciplined head. Training mental discipline using Theravada methods seems to do the trick.

However, lately I have been having some problems. My already present misanthropy is growing. The opposite of the goal to be achieved. My impatience with those unaware of their "muddy mind" is also growing. Watching some videos of those here, and reading some posts, did not help. If anything, I felt pity towards my compatriot INFJ's. Most people do not realise they are being swept away on the currents of their neurotic thoughts. They do not stand a chance, it is the only habit they know. This seems to affect us INFJ's even more.

In summary, I feel more lonely then ever. Which I know, because I see my own thoughts with painfull clarity.

Please note: I refuse to discuss religions. I am sick of debating it. You will never convince me, I will never convince you. I have already decided we are in agreement to disagree. Contrary to popular belief, this can be done unilaterally :wink:

For those who do not know: meditation in Theravada tradition is the mindfull observations of one's own thoughts by focussing on the breath or another object. It is a very active proces, and quite painfull at times. Not the spaced out bliss many people think it is.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Closer to Atheist/Stoic/Taoist here, though I agree with some of the tenets of Buddhism, namely mindfulness and non-attachment. I am also a bit misanthropic, and more than a little Malthusian in my world view.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I feel like i can't adhere to any religion. Not that I hate them or anything, but because I create my own philosophies and idolize none. Make your own values for the world not just following others in the past.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why reinvent the wheel?

"Unlike the scriptures of many of the world's great religions, the Tipitaka is not regarded as gospel, as an unassailable statement of divine truth, revealed by a prophet, to be accepted purely on faith. Instead, its teachings are meant to be assessed firsthand, to be put into practice in one's life so that one can find out for oneself if they do, in fact, yield the promised results"

Source: I am not allowed to post a link. Good spam measure I suppose.

This message is repeated throughout Buddhist literature.

ps; I prefer to look at it as a philosophy. It has remarkable coincidences with psychology and just lately western neuroscience.

Reactions: Neon Knight

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
This is why I eventually stopped giving religion/spirituality as my emphasis in my life - I felt like it was undermining my grounding in reality, grounding in the physical world around me, grounding which I already felt I was much lacking in. For INFJs with our inferior sensory function and our mind giving such little value to the material world around, seeing so little meaning in it, it is really easy for our perceptions to distort such that we can lose touch and become isolated in a world of our own. Perhaps why you are feeling so lonely.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Don't be lonely, we really aware of our own minds for the most part, you may love having a clear mind unfettered by the clamouring chaos of opposing thoughts, but these voices in my head are the closest of my companions, the closeness of separate yet conflicting thoughts is, in a worst case scenario, a bad migrane, but it's never been all that bad for me, it provides entertainment to replace boredom, and useful insights when I need them.

Naturally a messy person, I've prefered to do things when it seems "right" and "proper" to do so. I don't feel I could do that with my feelings locked away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, a slight misunderstanding.

The goal is not to bury or ignore thoughts. Actually the opposite is true. By being fully aware, you are fully in the moment, experiencing everything without distortion. For example: watching a movie without thinking about groceries, your bill or whatever.

@ vel; i'm gonna give your post some thought.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Oh, my apologies, I should have put the effort in and done my homework, but I still feel it'd give me a headache :tongue:

Being able to concentrate isn't one of my strong points, I'm in class at college at the moment, I should really be doing work >.<

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
...However, lately I have been having some problems. My already present misanthropy is growing. The opposite of the goal to be achieved. My impatience with those unaware of their "muddy mind" is also growing. Watching some videos of those here, and reading some posts, did not help. If anything, I felt pity towards my compatriot INFJ's. Most people do not realise they are being swept away on the currents of their neurotic thoughts. They do not stand a chance, it is the only habit they know. This seems to affect us INFJ's even more

In summary, I feel more lonely then ever. Which I know, because I see my own thoughts with painfull clarity...
After reading your post, two words came about in my mind - COMPASSION and EGO. Perhaps take a look at these two, when you go on your next journey into your mind. Reactions of "impatience", and "pity" may signal for you, that work needs to be done. Just as suggestion, not sure how readily it will be received.

I don't think I've seen you before, hello! Nice to meet you. I wish to visit Netherlands someday. I have relatives in Holland. :happy:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think it's better to be spiritual than religious. Which leads me to being an Apatheist, for a lot of reasons.

Yes, that's a real thing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After reading your post, two words came about in my mind - COMPASSION and EGO. Perhaps take a look at these two, when you go on your next journey into your mind. Reactions of "impatience", and "pity" may signal for you, that work needs to be done. Just as suggestion, not sure how readily it will be received.

I don't think I've seen you before, hello! Nice to meet you. I wish to visit Netherlands someday. I have relatives in Holland. :happy:
Signal is the word that popped out :) They do indeed seem to indicate a deeper ... something going on.
Now that I think of it; I might have a slight case of ego-trap. The ego hijacking the training, seeing it as an accomplishment. Chogyam Trungpa called it spiritual materialism.

I read the book, guess I just came face to face with it in practice.
It's a tough beast to tame. And a sneaky bitch too :laughing:

ps; you should visit! I'm sure you will enjoy it very much :happy:

Reactions: Female INFJ

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
@ vel; i'm gonna give your post some thought.
The particular Buddhist sect whose teaching I followed for several years taught us that there were like these levels of karmic attachments. There were the very basic ones like being attached to money and material goods. But then our teacher also told us that there are these higher level attachments. One can develop karmic attachment to one's time for example, or one's own future, or one's ideology or religion. The tell-tale sign of such a karmic attachment is when a person starts to devalue other people based on these types of attachments, starts feeling subconscious aggression or misanthropy towards others. This might be happening to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts