Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a written poll for Atheist Personality Cafe members and their comfort zone for a potential partner's ideology. No different than dating site preferences of a potential partner's political views.

Please List Your:

- Type
- Sexuality
- Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god? Yes or No
- If Yes, please answer: What ideological background can a potential partner for you have?

That is: Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jain, Judean, Mormon, Shintoist, Sikh, Taoist,
Zoroastrian, Other, General Agnostic Theist, Deist, or "Not Sure"

[Advanced Warning: This is NOT in the Debate Forum. This a civil preference poll. The criticising of other life philosophies, including Atheism, is considered a thread derail and can be viewed as a personal agenda]

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Please List Your:

- Type: INFJ
- Age or Generation: 45 yrs old
- Sexuality: straight
- Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god? Yes, but it depends on what their specific beliefs are (if they deny evolution, we probably won't be a good match, for example)
- If Yes, please answer: What ideological background can a potential partner for you have?

That is: Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Islamist, Jain, Judean, Mormon, Shintoist, Sikh, Taoist,

Any of those are fine with me. It depends on the PERSON. There are a lot of other variables that would need to be discussed.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Erm... Islamist is the extreme fundamentalist version of Islam that is combined with politics, that is what ISIS is haha. They're Islamists, and their ideology is Islamism.

Whereas Islam refers to just Islam in general haha :p

By the way... no love for Wicca or Confucianism?

·
SAY MY NAME
8,468 Posts
I don't discriminate, I would throw a fuck into anybody regardless of religious affiliation/belief. In fact there's even something sort of kinky about having sex with really religious women come to think of it... like, I'm corrupting them by having casual sex drool.gif maybe I can persuade them to turn the kink up a notch, by inserting a communion wafer in their vagina or something. Salacious and sacrilegious, my favourite type of fucking.

But no fucking way can I date somebody who is religious. Somebody wise once wrote, if you have a master in the sky, you are bound to be a slave on earth. I don't find that at all attractive to be frank.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Erm... Islamist is the extreme fundamentalist version of Islam that is combined with politics, that is what ISIS is haha. They're Islamists, and their ideology is Islamism.

Whereas Islam refers to just Islam in general haha :p

By the way... no love for Wicca or Confucianism?
I take blame for this. Embarrassingly I actually did not ever seek out to know islamist was specifically just one who blended politics and beliefs. Thank you for clarifying, seriously!

Also I did not think to list either at the time. Not to be exclusionary either.They are of course listable individually by anyone answering.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
- INTJ
- Male
- Gen Y, 25
- Straight
- Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god?
Yes, depends more on what they believe specifically, and how they practice.
- If Yes, please answer:

I am most open to Buddhist or Hindu. Though many Buddhists aren't necessarily theistic, so that's kinda cheating (it's often described as "philosophy, not religion", and I had a professor in college who said that Buddhism is sometimes called the "atheist's religion").

I know there are many Christians who are far more personal about their beliefs, rather than the stereotypical imposing it on others and talking about the Bible all the time. I'd be open to a relationship with someone like that. As an aside, I once found this interesting website where a Christian kept quoting parts of the Bible and arguing that "healthy skepticism" was taught in the Bible, then mentioned that the original (Hebraic) Bible defines faith as "confidence without evidence", which IMO is a WAY more accurate way to describe what religion is... that's an example of what I mean.

I guess the same goes for the other major monotheistic religions. There are also reform Jews who are like this, or they'll say they see Judaism as a culture and not a religion. (My dad is also Reform Jewish and non-religious). I am more interested in discussing philosophical concepts than dogmatic teachings, so anyone who's into that, that's a good common interest for a relationship.

Note: I identify more as an "agnostic" than purely atheist, but some argue they're more or less the same so..
I am certainly not religious, though interested in some topics from religious texts and the meanings behind stories.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Make no mistake, regular Islam is batshit fucking crazy too. That's the problem... regular Islam's conservatism has to be rolled back BIG time, which will in turn lead to less terrorism. Terrorism isn't some aberrational random thing that showed up by chance... it's because the conservatism in regular Islam is so high, that the fringes will be even MORE conservative, a level of conservative that will inevitably become terroristic.

I give you Exhibit A. This kid in school in Pakistan misheard a teacher's question "who here doesn't love the prophet Muhammad, raise his hand", he thought he said loves the prophet Muhammad, so he raised his hand. The kid was then rebuked and yelled at by the teacher and all the classmates, and the kid ran out of the room... and then returned a short time later with his severed hand on a plate, as punishment he put on himself. When the teacher was later taken away, all the OTHER teachers and imams put pressure on them to release him, because he did nothing wrong in shaming the kid saying he didn't love the prophet, which he thought the kid said.

*sigh* This is the type of shit that needs to be rolled back big time. You wonder why terrorism comes from Islam... because of shit like this. You look at the one guy who drew Muhammad 10 years ago... 87% of muslims in England wanted that person prosecuted. They didn't look for him to kill him (lots of other muslims did that, and did eventually kill him) but they wanted him to be prosecuted... which, you cannot fucking prosecute someone in England because they drew a cartoon you didn't like. THAT is the kind of shit that needs to change... and we have to be able to call it out for what it is, to empower the reformers in Islam to reform it into something that is somewhat compatible with the 21st century.

When we're not allowed to criticize it the same way we criticize other relgioons, then that job becomes nearly impossible.

Sorry for the kind of unrelated tangent there haha... but this was an important point to be brought up nonetheless. We're empowering some pretty bad people in Islam if we disallow criticizing it... there are reformers in Islam who will move it forward, but when we make it taboo to criticize it, we make it hard for them to do their job.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Type:
- ENTP

Age or Generation:

Sexuality:
- Straight

Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god?
- No

*I'd be willing to date someone who was agnostic or who was spiritual, but I'm not willing to date someone who subscribes to a particular set of religious beliefs. The ideal is, obviously, to date a fellow atheist.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
This is a written poll for Atheist Personality Cafe members and their comfort zone for a potential partner's ideology. No different than dating site preferences of a potential partner's political views.

Please List Your:

- Type
- Sexuality

That is: Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jain, Judean, Mormon, Shintoist, Sikh, Taoist,

[Advanced Warning: This is NOT in the Debate Forum. This a civil preference poll. The criticising of other life philosophies, including Atheism, is considered a thread derail and can be viewed as a personal agenda]

ENTP
MAN
Grown
Horny for chicks

Yes, I would and have dated religious chicks. The only time it was ever an issue was when I was pretty serious and we were talking about kids and would they go to church or not. I personally would NOT want that stuff in my child's head, but I dunno, if I felt they weren't being brainwashed....maybe.

Reactions: malphigus

·
chicken chaser
10,123 Posts
I'm agnostic but...

- Type
INTP
- Age or Generation
- Sexuality
Heterosexual
- Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god?
Yes
Any

·
Registered
♂️ Xennial - Melancholic/Choleric
3,834 Posts
-Sex: male
-Sexuality: heterosexual
-Generation: millennial

I do not mind a woman believing in a god, but there are non-theistic ideologies I would not accept in a girlfriend. I would not date a fascist or communist of any variety, or a Muslim. I would not date a believer in a god who demands human sacrifice, but this is extremely rare nowadays.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
ENFJ
Female
Adulting
Agnostic

I take issue with any extreme. Including extreme atheism. Mostly because I want my children to learn about all the things. My ex chose to teach my daughter about God as a mythical entity. I had a mixed childhood, father an atheist, mother ex catholic, lived with Amish. Believed, turned out agnostic. People need to pick their own path.

If my children were adults, I'd care less about a potential partners religious views.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts

Please List Your:

- Type
- Sexuality

- INTJ
- Male
- Asexual Heteroromantic
- It depends. What I care about most is that the person is able to intelligently and rationally come to conclusions about their beliefs. Someone like @jamaix or @lightwing, in my opinion, have rationally come to their beliefs. Now, I may not agree with them, but I at least respect when people are coherent about this. I have doubts that any solid relationship could come from differences in religious ideas because I don't think there'd be a lot of mutual intellectual-ground. Furthermore, religion can be a very important part to someone's life, culturally, socially, and individually. Those are a lot of areas that are non-mutual, so I can't see it really working. From this perspective, I almost certainly think I couldn't be with a Christian, Hindu, Muslim, etc. While I'm not yet familiar with Taoism, Buddhism, or Confuscianism, if I recall correctly, they're more pantheistic and much closer to what we'd call a "philosophy," even though they deal very much with sacred things. I think I could see myself having a healthy relationship with someone from one of those religions.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Agnostic is fine. Deist/spiritual is fine as well, as long as they’re not overbearing.

But belief in a dogmatic religion (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc) is absolutely out of the question, not worth dealing with the baggage.

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
Type: ENFP (maybe).

Sexuality: Bisexual.

Would you be willing to date someone who believes in a god?
Yes. I'm not dating their beliefs, I'm dating another human being. As long as it doesn't get between us and he/she can accept that I'm not a believer it should be fine. The background is meaningless when there is respect between two people.
Someone like @jamaix or @He's a Superhero! would be the ideal.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts