Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a quick question. My attention to physical detail is little to none. Everything I pick up on is from an emotional and mental standpoint. That all seems pretty standard with infps. I have a couple friends that have tested infp and both of them have quite the eye for physical details. They point out things about me all the time and I'm amazed they noticed because I never would have ever remotely seen it in someone else randomly. I can't walk with them without one of them pointing out the way someone walks, the shape of someone's nose, or if its weird that the guy next to us has eyes 1/8th of an inch closer than the average person. I have a terribblee memory so I have always felt that plays a part in my ability to actually remember what I notice in people. Every time I see someone I know its like a clean slate for what they physically look like but Im still curious what other infps have to say about their own attention to physicalatt detail. I'm not completely convinced they are infps and if I typed them in my head it would be something closer to isfp or isfj but who am I to question someone's type. There's a lot we show to the world that conflicts with our insides. Infps give me your thoughts!!

Reactions: endlessdaydream

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not very attuned to physical details. My family frequently tells me of how I lack my use of my senses. I skip over details quite a bit (even when I am reading I just like to scan through and get the main idea). I'm just not very noticeable of my surroundings. This could be a due to lack of Se. Instead of our outward focus on the physical world, it is more on the ideas. A playground of ideas and people C:

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you mean by emotional and mental standpoint? I guess I might not be INFP then cause I do pay attention to the outside world a lot but then I relate it back to me somehow and it gets stuck in my head for awhile. So I take things in from the outside world and connect it to me which I'm not sure is INFP haha. I would consider myself to be one though. I just use the outside world as inspiration for my inside world if that makes any sense...

·
Registered
357 Posts
@SuperFranko29
Maybe C: Although Sensors in general are more attentive to the present and here and now. The outside world that is happening.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It seems as though attention to detail should be most closely linked to Se. Being that Se is typically a particularly weak cognitive function for INFPs, it stands to reason that INFPs would typically be rather lacking in that department. I think that either A) your friends were somehow mistyped, or B) your friends are somewhat atypical INFPs. It could very well be either honestly. MBTI typing is descriptive, not prescriptive. Characteristics atypical of a given type don't invalidate the typing, but merely prove the individual in question has characteristics atypical of the type.

Personally, my attention to detail is extremely wonky (that's really the only word I feel is adequate). When I'm actually performing a task where I actually need to mentally record every last detail, I'm completely and utterly hopeless. I can't manage it for the life of me. On the other hand, I find myself able to recall the most minute, trivial bits of information at times (I really would make a fantastic Jeopardy contestant), or extremely minor details of personal experiences I've had (the feeling of the ring on my mother's hand when she slapped me for accidentally breaking a glass when I was 5 (exactly two decades ago), the t-shirt the first girl I ever kissed at the age of 12 was wearing at the time (Ninja Turtles). I have great attention to detail honestly, I just have no control over it.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
As I recently said in another similar thread, I do notice details, I just don't notice a lot of the same ones people expect me to. I find that I 'home in' on things that are pertinent to my tastes and interests while tuning out the vast majority of things that I find ugly, boring, or irrelevant. Much of the time I am off in my own thoughts and not actively paying attention to the world around me. But when I DO choose to focus on something physical, I will be aware of details in that specific context.

I might as well quote myself from the other thread:
I do notice details, but not ALL THE DETAILS, I just notice certain kinds at certain times. Like.... walking down the street I notice the tufts of moss sticking out between the cracks in the sidewalk, all these tiny little forests. I do not notice most other things around me because I don't find the cars, the buildings, the people, etc. interesting and just tune them all out. I notice Noses, I couldn't tell you my friends' eyecolors, but I can tell you our cashier at the fabric store yesterday had the most perfectly, delicately sculpted skii-jump of a nose. I notice that there's a faint mint undertone in my black tea suggesting that someone made mint tea in this pot previously, but I don't notice that I've filled my husband's teacup 3 millimeters less today than I did yesterday (which he's always commenting about 'you didn't fill it all the way' 'you filled it too much it's hard to pick up' etc.) I notice the cornucopia of slight emotional hints in my mother's tone of voice, I don't notice the actual words to a song I've heard a hundred times.

I'm not sure how officially correct this site is, but on "A Little Bit of Personality" she describes I__Ps as being detail oriented. You can see what you think for yourself, but it made a fair bit of sense to me anyways. A Little Bit of Personality: The Cognition Process in Stick Figures

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I actually don't think they're ISFPs at all.

I have the same problem, that I often don't notice physical details when I don't try to. I rely on emotions to remember personal memories.

However, my background is in art & music, and I have trained myself to pay attention to the tiny physical details. I can only do it when I'm consciously telling myself to pay attention, but I eventually get used to telling myself to look or listen to my environment from time to time just to practice the ability. INFPs have Si, so I believe we totally can remember things physically, but especially when we connect the physical details to how they make us feel.

But I really need to say, the way your friends point out the physical details about other people actually sound very Ne. I look around too when I feel like I need to make conversations interesting. Maybe their interests are on something more concrete than yours. I also sometimes notice that Se users actually don't really pay attention to that much to details/subtle physical things, or maybe they just don't talk about it, as they tend to just enjoy rather than analyze what they physically experience.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
A funny thing about me is that when I state observations of physical details, other people tend to be like "It's been there for ages and right in front of you, and you've only just noticed that now?!" I often don't notice 'obvious' things until a lot later. I guess I'm able to notice (as well as describe) physical details only when I know what I'm supposed to be looking at and if I have a purpose in doing so.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A funny thing about me is that when I state observations of physical details, other people tend to be like "It's been there for ages and right in front of you, and you've only just noticed that now?!" I often don't notice 'obvious' things until a lot later. I guess I'm able to notice (as well as describe) physical details only when I know what I'm supposed to be looking at and if I have a purpose in doing so.
Sometime about ~2 weeks ago as the days were finally getting warmer, I noticed at the restaurant I work at that there were fans hanging from the ceiling. I asked one of the co-workers, "When did we get those?" and she replied that the fans have been there... for quite a long time. Granted, I haven't worked not even a year there, but spent the winter months working in that place so of course I wouldn't think about looking up for a fan... but still, felt very silly to notice too late like that :tongue:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I pay little to no attention to detail. In fact, I barely pay attention at all to my physical surroundings. An object could literally be right in front of me and I wouldn't see it until I forced myself to focus. I have also experienced the awkwardness of "It's been there the whole time and you're just now noticing it???" You are not alone. :p

I think it's just our major lack of Se. Because of our Ne, we don't really care about what's there, we see what could be there. So yeah, I would say most INFPs aren't that great at noticing details. I'd say your friends are probably mistyped, or they have just developed their Si functions more than most INFPs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't understand how you at least can't pay a little bit of attention to the physical world. For me I look at people's faces and study their expressions (physical) and I try to figure out what they are feeling (emotional) and then I come up with reasons or stories that made them feel this way (mental). So I guess I can cross between all 3 pretty easily and they are all interconnected in my mind.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If I'm out and about observing and analyzing I'm like a hawk, if I'm at work, (carpenter) give me the big picture, I'll fill in the rest, the more details the more confusion, let me create.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have great attention to detail and I am definitely not an ISFP.

My instinctual variant in enneagram self-preservation. This makes me sensitive to the environment I'm in.

I don't notice the sensual experience of details as Se would. It's filtered through Ne and I think mostly about what the symbolism is behind the material thing I'm taking in.

Ex. My ESTJ friend and I were watching a movie recently. One of the leads had a watered down accent of British Isles origin. My friend through it was Welsh. He thought this because he has a Welsh friend and the actor reminded him of his friend (Si aux caused him to jump to this conclusion). I thought the actor was Irish. I saw a small crucifix in his home which I realized the set design people had added in order to allude to the fact that he was Irish, albeit in a cliche way (Americans tend to think Irish = Roman Catholic). My friend didn't notice the cross even though it was pretty easy to see in one scene. Upon investigation, the character was Irish.

I'm heavy into literature so I might just be trained to see symbolism. I realize that anything that's added in a book or a movie probably isn't put there arbitrarily.

My apartment is very tidy and Spartan (although not necessarily organized) and everything has importance. If something isn't symbolically reflective of what's important to me or of good utilitarian value, I give the object away. It bothers me to have an external environment not in congruence with my inner self.

For that reason, I think about what my clothing and belongings are subconsciously communicating to others. An ISFP would be different. They'd keep something just because it's trendy and aesthetically pleasing in an of itself.

INFPs are known to perceive things very objectively and, for many INFPs, with an eye for detail. Ne is one of the most objective functions. When I was younger and more Fi-oriented I was definitely less aware of my surroundings.

Watch from 9:00 to learn about Ne's objectivity in observation.

Reactions: Lunakyra

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just don't pay attention to people. My friend has commented that I'm not caring at all (in a sense S people are). I don't pay attention to how I should look, I'm self-conscious, but I don't really care about appearance aka fashion or self-care.

I do notice is someone is walking weirdly but honestly if it's that obvious anyone will notice.

I notice a change in my environment but I never know what it is exactly, it just feels or looks different to me.
@WhateverLolaWants
I also have self-preservation variants though I'm a 4 but I never pay attention to the environment. I do become wary when I'm anxious but my attention is directed to what people are doing instead of what they are wearing or what their face features are. My desk is messy, there are chilly peppers on it (a leftover from a week ago), a mug from two nights ago, a cup of bubble tea, and my text book next to it. I have a high percentage of P though, always exceeds 70% while my I, N, and F are on the low to average side.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I just don't pay attention to people. My friend has commented that I'm not caring at all (in a sense S people are). I don't pay attention to how I should look, I'm self-conscious, but I don't really care about appearance aka fashion or self-care.

I do notice is someone is walking weirdly but honestly if it's that obvious anyone will notice.

I notice a change in my environment but I never know what it is exactly, it just feels or looks different to me.

@WhateverLolaWants
I also have self-preservation variants though I'm a 4 but I never pay attention to the environment. I do become wary when I'm anxious but my attention is directed to what people are doing instead of what they are wearing or what their face features are. My desk is messy, there are chilly peppers on it (a leftover from a week ago), a mug from two nights ago, a cup of bubble tea, and my text book next to it. I have a high percentage of P though, always exceeds 70% while my I, N, and F are on the low to average side.
I am very high in P (like 80%) and almost completely I (like 95%). I have a love of cleanliness and minimalism so I consciously strove to develop it. It wasn't easy but it was something I worked on consistently. Subsequently, I developed habits related to cleaning and periodic purging of "stuff".

People rely far to heavily on stereotypes in typing like "ESTJs are politically conservative", or "INFPs live in dumps". These stereotypes are just not so when the rubber hits the road.

Perhaps your unawareness of the environment has less to do with P and more to do with leaning toward ENFPness.

·
Registered
16,027 Posts
Depends. I can give you a million stories of not noticing a thing around me and then a million stories of noticing the tiniest detail imaginable and remembering that detail, for years and years. At times, I DO have a photographic memory. Across the board tho, I will NEVER, and I do mean NEVER remember your name.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,341 Posts
Something that captures our attention we are inclined to understand it back to front. In other words the opposite of face-value, but we do get there. Also to be considered is how linear ones focus in the moment is. Some Infp's are more consistent than others. Sometimes the bigger picture is the detail or the abstract observation is the face-value, like pointing out a characteristic of a funny walk. Also remember people can develop their functions, crossing over into other type behaviours.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I do notice details and I do have a photographic memory but even then I have an overwhelmingly Si preference. I think our attention to detail also is linked to how we perceive the moment, I mean if I am observing a person I adore I catch all the little habits they have or how they smile and etc. so it is linked with feelings or say they might have gestures that reminds me of someone or that I find funny and adorable or that i think looks like a fictional character or I do make a fictional character in my head and entertain myself so it is linked with Ne or memories Si, whatever. It just needs to form some kind of emotion, the more I am emotionally/mentally engaged the more vivid the memory of the person is. Also I have a habit of zoning out when I am listening to people, well I do listen to them but my eyes are wandering and I see something that makes me think of something else and I end up asking something totally unrelated in the middle of their talk or sometimes I point out the thing that caught my attention even. I actually think I remember details more easily and to a great extend. I don't know though the skill assessment test or whatever I have taken also said I have a visual/spatial gifted brain. I am highly intuitive preference though according to the 4 letter tests and for cognitive functions sometimes it says my Ne is highest used function but I just know that I am an INFP and I use the Ne as an INFP does so it is usually the tests that emphasize intuition with the questions. I actually enjoy visual aesthetics a lot but not in a materialistic way -at all- I just know that I can not ever place so much weight in Se to lead my life but I do enjoy small details and senses if my mind is there

But sometimes I just forget faces of people, the names of people. It much depends on my mood, or the person catching my interest, not to say they are not interesting if they don't but it is more about my inner world.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm an INFP who dabbles in art, particularly portraiture and faces. Lack of attention to detail is not an exclusively INFP trait, nor are all INFPs unable to pick out details. Noticing details is a skill, and if you put time and effort into developing it, you can hone it just like any other skill.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.