Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I dunno why but people keep calling me an attention whore. Uh okay I lied I know why. You know those crazy enfp moments where you're pretty much jumping everywhere saying random stuff? People keep misinterpreting it for attention seeking :sad:
And like if real life wasn't enough, it also works online! Each random thread I make like ''stop eating brocolis they have a life too'' gets 5948594 posts that are saying that I'm a no-life seeking attention. End of little rant :D

Do any of you have that problem too? And would you say you are an attention whore? =O (Even if barely anyone will admit it haha)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I get that occasionally. I think it's got to do with that E and getting your energy from people. When I get around people I get excited, hyper, talk fast, want to joke and laugh, etc.

I've noticed the people who say that are usually jealous they are not getting the attention they want so don't feel too bad.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
but i don't understand.. :sad: the broccoli comment is hilarious!
i'm definitely not an attention "whore", but i'd defy anyone to find an ENFP who isn't at least a little bit of an attention seeker. we define ourselves constantly by other people, so by definition we need to be getting the attention of others- but i doubt many ENFPs would be attention "whores" on purpose since i'd imagine we'd be horrified at ourselves.

i think the difference is that we would never get attention for the sake of it, because that usually in the end is negative attention and is irritating for others, we like only positive attention- we like making others laugh and feel happy. introverts often malicify our intent though when we're being silly or demonstrative.. that's the one constant conflict i have with INFP/INFJs and it irks me, i feel like i've been misjudged and naturally i don't like that.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
ENFPs are like everyone else in that they need to feel needed, appreciated, and like part of what is happening in their group. Being accused of saying random things usually means that they are surrounded by sensors that are having a difficult time following the ENFPs logic. The sensor needs to realize that by stretching their imagination a bit, they can understand the intuitives thought processes better, and the ENFP needs to slow down a bit and fill in the gaps so the sensor can see how you arrived here from there, in the conversation.

Accusing the ENFP of being an attention whore for interjecting random comments is just dumb, IMO. The ENFP loves to laugh and likes to see others laugh 'cuz it means everyone is having a good time. Random comments can be hilarious and so that's what is being used to interject a bit of levity into the conversation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh my god Coco I think i'm in lahv wit yu, I love birds. I LOVE BIRDS. I just had to put that out there (〃^∇^) Is that a scarlet or a green wing in yur avatar??

I think i've been called an attention whore....once. At least to my knowledge. But it was in middle school, and the girl who called me that was mad that i was getting close to her best friend.
I'm sure I've been called that moar times behind my back, but it's just liek yu gaiz are saying, a lot of it is just misunderstanding cause we just are naturally bubbly peepul and we want everyone around us to be happy too :c
It's not like we're trying to put on a "My ego of girth is being fed by your submission/attention given to me" front, we just ARE happy. CURSE OUR JOY. CURSES TO OUR INHERENTLY JOLLY DEMEANORS. The world can't handle our happy D:

Reactions: Angelic Gardevoir

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I always call myself an attention whore. Because I notice I do attract attention everywhere I go, and have like a million photos on Facebook. Those are typical attention whorish things for me to do. But my extroverted nature is just to entertain and share. It is also my way of removing myself from people. It's just in a different way than sitting quietly in a corner. My extroversion also makes people feel better when they don't know what else to say. I can easily get them to talk about themselves and move the night along. So it really isn't just about focusing on me. Because once a person gives me attention, I try to put the focus back on them. I don't want to get too deep about me. I'm shy :unsure:

·
Registered
129 Posts
No one has ever called me an attention whore (to my face), but deep down, if someone called me an attention whore, I probably wouldn't care because I know that to an extent, I am an attention whore. :tongue:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't think it's really right for anyone to accuse someone of being an "attention whore" except for the actual person being accused of it. ^^;; Nobody WANTS to be seen as an attention whore, and there are those that might deny it - even self denial - but the only person who truly knows if you're an attention whore or not is yourself.

It's natural to at least want SOME attention. :3 And I understand how your natural behavior might get that impression from others... I think years ago, especially online, I was probably seen as an attention whore too. ^^;; But just because someone is hyper or talks to other people a lot or just happens to be the center of attention a lot doesn't necessarily mean they go out of their way to try to get it... what matters the most is that they can be themselves. ^^

As for right now, no, I haven't been accused of being an attention whore... nor do I want all the attention. :tongue: I'm fine with the people I care about right now. ~.~

...And during that frequently asked question "Would you rather be rich or famous?", I always answer "rich", because being famous and getting a lot of attention always seems to have a lot of negative consequences too... I mean, famous people get stalked! o.o;; XDD

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Based off my experience, people seem to misinterpret a lot of what ENFP's do and say.

The OP mentioned "Jumping in and saying random stuff" which I found in my experience as well. Coming from an Ni user, I think ENFP's don't always see the consequences of their actions before they "jump in". Which sometimes leads to actions not reflecting intentions. If I understand ENFP's at all, they are generally pure hearted individuals and anything giving a bad perception is usually a misunderstanding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No one has dared to call me an "attention whore" to my face, but I come from another large internet community where Ive been the primary blogger for years and thus have run into a lot of comments like, "you think you're so special and i hate you" and "i don't see why everyone else loves you because you are so self-centered."

It used to make my blood boil, but in the last few years, those kind of comments are just amusing. I have a pretty quick temper and it's difficult for me to back down from a confrontation, especially when it comes to personal matters where I KNOW that other person is making an inaccurate judgment. Lately, though, it's become easier to read the criticism and just move on.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I got anonymous hate comments on Formspring saying things like, "I really don't like you. You think you're so witty and smart, but you're just a cocky whore," and that's really just the tip of the iceberg.

I sincerely doubt that these people know me... you know what you know and don't have to prove anything to them. As long as you bring smiles to the faces that matter, who cares about any scoffs or judgments you might get?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Yes I've been called attention seeking without them understanding me enough but ironically it most likely comes from people who secretly want more attention anyway. *shrugs*

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I've been told once that I was an attention whore. I was devastated O_O I never seek attention... I seek to make people happy. It's not about me, it's about them!
Wow! I really relate to that!! Yeah, I always get called an attention whore, but I really do derive my energy from other people being happy. I get called charming more often than I get called an attention whore. However, I won't lie, putting me in the limelight is something I do actually adore however. But then again, I'm also an amateur Thespian and a barrister, so limelight and shameless hogging of attention isn't totally alien to me....:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I call myself an attention whore. Like when I feel bad and let other people see it, why am I doing that? Obviously its for attention not pitty god I hate pity, but idk theres this part of me that feels guilty for it because really theres no reason to throw your issues on someone else. Thats just me

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
And like if real life wasn't enough, it also works online! Each random thread I make like ''stop eating brocolis they have a life too'' gets 5948594 posts that are saying that I'm a no-life seeking attention. End of little rant :D
That part of the post made me chuckle. That's not attention-seeking. That's just random fun! :crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts