Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1 to 10,

How important is it that your male life partner
is the bread winner?

Please thoroughly explain your answer

·
Registered
2,290 Posts

...ah, nevermind. While lots of people know pi, I feel like I take it a bit too far for the common nerd joke.

Anyway, in all honestly, I'll give it a zero. I can make my own money, thanks.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Not an ENTP but can I clarify the question? Do you mean is it ok for the woman to make more than the man? Or for the man to stay at home while the woman brings home the bacon?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an ENTP friend who's dating this ultra-rich (think hotel-chain heir) but super-nice guy. She told me that knowing how filthy rich the guy is, is like knowing that he has brown hair. It's just...a fact. It's nice that he can support her, but she can make her own money with her own hard work.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I have been supporting my family for the last 11 years, my husband gave up his career to look after the kids.

It was important to me that he had a career to give up, though. Never wanted to shack up with a freeloader. I have also felt uncomfortable that he could potentially be trapped by the situation he has chosen to be in, financially, and be unable to walk away from me if he wanted to. Independence for both partners is important I think, but when children enter the equation you have to accept all sorts of interdependencies, and some of these can be a struggle for an ENTP.

That was a low joke, Ago. Some might even call it base ;)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Actually it's almost of negative importance. I can't envision myself giving up any amount of my career for family reasons. I ~admire~ successful men, and am usually most attracted to that, but I wouldn't want to be supported. Although I love being taken out to expensive places. I would ideally say that I'd like to keep working, he should be highly successful in his career, but if he'd like to he can cut back and I'd go on supporting us. I think in a way I do like taking care of someone when I really love them/am proud of their achievements. And I'd like to keep finances separate.

Scale of 1 to 10:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Basically, I like to be with someone who has ambition and drive. That doesn't always translate into monetary earnings, and that's why it doesn't really matter that much. I think guys that make a TON of money are a bit jaded, but guys who can't bring in a steady paycheck are too. I'm not very money motivated in life, but I'm not naive either.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
I'm more interested in the fact that he's ambitious and successful in the work aspect of life. If he's a freeloading artist who hopes life will hand itself over on a silver platter, complete with a Starbucks latte and silver Mac laptop, it ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm more interested in the fact that he's ambitious and successful in the work aspect of life. If he's a freeloading artist who hopes life will hand itself over on a silver platter, complete with a Starbucks latte and silver Mac laptop, it ain't gonna happen.
Damn... That rules me out....;-)

Reactions: Coburn

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Does it really matter? I'll make my money, he can make his. Keeps things a little fair, don'tcha think? I'm not leeching off of him hopelessly with and am capable of being financially independent.

·
Registered
297 Posts
5. As it has been said, not into freeloaders more into equality. The riding a horse at your side, not being rescued nor rescuing sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
m0.0m
------

·
Registered
651 Posts
Damn I thought it was all a big competition! 1 - because I don't really care. As long as you can stay employed and are happy with the decisions you make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts