Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find that some of their favourite melodies are sort of bittersweet sounding? Like somewhat melancholic, but also sort of beautiful, and vaguely optimistic? Like there's a sort of beauty in the authenticity of something a little sad because it reveals some sort of truth about existence? I suppose it's a feeling which has defined a lot of my life. Maybe it was a way to draw some comfort from my depression. A lot of my compositions sound sort of both surreal but also sombre and pensive. I'm not talking something emo like the cure, but a tune like 'Moon River', which reflects an idealistic longing. Sort of very sentimental. That's why I love the 50s so much:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
We must be connected somehow, friend. I had a work disaster today that will likely have rippling consequences. I couldn't even start thinking about it. I just closed my laptop and started playing Moon River on my harmonica (I was working from home today) like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's playing Moon River on her balcony.

For me, melancholy isn't so much a depressive state, but a deeply reflective state, and as you said, strangely beautiful. It has a looming presence that has a hint of the unknown, which in my thoughts makes things more alive, really. Colors are subdued, but somehow more vivid, pretense strips away from humanity and what's leftover is raw, real feeling. Eh, I'm probably not putting this well, but..... well, anyways, I agree.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We must be connected somehow, friend. I had a work disaster today that will likely have rippling consequences. I couldn't even start thinking about it. I just closed my laptop and started playing Moon River on my harmonica (I was working from home today) like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's playing Moon River on her balcony.

For me, melancholy isn't so much a depressive state, but a deeply reflective state, and as you said, strangely beautiful. It has a looming presence that has a hint of the unknown, which in my thoughts makes things more alive, really. Colors are subdued, but somehow more vivid, pretense strips away from humanity and what's leftover is raw, real feeling. Eh, I'm probably not putting this well, but..... well, anyways, I agree.
No, I TOTALLY get what you mean! It's like we are connecting on some very elemental wavelength...yeah, I like music that hints at something more, sort of supernatural, but also like you say, a bit subdued, faded, reflective, settled. I feel music is a 'purer' expression of pure emotion/feeling than words or even images, that's why the strong connection to the religious, and drugs.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Does anyone else find that some of their favourite melodies are sort of bittersweet sounding? Like somewhat melancholic, but also sort of beautiful, and vaguely optimistic? Like there's a sort of beauty in the authenticity of something a little sad because it reveals some sort of truth about existence? I suppose it's a feeling which has defined a lot of my life. Maybe it was a way to draw some comfort from my depression. A lot of my compositions sound sort of both surreal but also sombre and pensive. I'm not talking something emo like the cure, but a tune like 'Moon River', which reflects an idealistic longing. Sort of very sentimental. That's why I love the 50s so much:
This is so amazingly described I can't believe it, I feel this way completely but there was no way I could put my finger on it and it also makes feel happy that someone is like me :) although I dont really have depression I still feel the same way you do so maybe there is some other connection to it? idk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes!!! I've always loved the depth conveyed in sentimental songs. Most if the time, music helps me cope with my innermost emotions, and helps me 'let it all out'. Singing also helps <3 I was actually going to start a thread called 'Fi & Fe Junkfood' so everyone can post all their sentimental stuff they indulge in every once in a while XD shorts, movies, music, etc!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts