Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I heard that us INFPs are very much attracted to the dark side of life. Meaning, we're usually interested in Edgar Allan Poe-like stories and morbid subjects like murder, suicide, self-harm, "dark" romance (dark romanticism), gothic fashion, etc.

This is usually very much true about me. I've been this way for as long as I could remember... "Dark" things never scared me and in fact, I was very much into that kind of stuff. What about you guys?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i'm not but, an INFP i know in real life is into morbid stuff quite a bit

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I remember as a kid, I was always fascinated with dark things. As a little kid, I remember going to Sunday School and all my teachers trying to sugarcoat nasty things in the Bible. I remember reading about the rape of Dinah in Genesis and thinking to myself, WTF! Why didn't God save her! Of course, in my idealistic mind, I expected God to save her, but he didn't. There are lots of those types of dark, tragic stories that I can't seem to forget.

Oh yeah, and I remember reading the Telltale Heart by Poe, it was such a delicious story!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love the darkness, I especially love the story of the headless horseman. I love sleepy hollow! Anyway, I have always been attracted to the spirits that lurk between the edges of shadows, and I know that even if I will die in this life time alone, I shall always feel the connection to things, other will never understand or relate to.

This is part of why I want to study disease and pathology, I want to understand how death works, how the destruction of ourselves work.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm attracted to things with an authentic Gothic theme. And by Gothic, I mean the era. That's why I really love Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Emily Bronte poetry and whatever else. Beyond that, I've always been interested in death, but I've not looked at it as 'dark'. Some 'dark' subjects I'm attracted to for deeper reasons or out of pure interest. Dante's Inferno is very interesting to me from that standpoint. But some subjects attract me from a place of pure morbid curiosity. I've never been able to stand heavy gore, but then I've always been attracted to it. I've heard that all humans are, though. Like if someone was right in front of a fast moving train, I'd be caught between looking away and staring.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think being considered a freak or outsider probably has a high co-morbidity rate with an interest in "dark"/"gothic" themes. Certainly, I have always been attracted to macabre themes and a gothic aesthetic. I think also that the combination of violence, romanticism, and tragedy into one style appeals to an INFP in its rich, contrasting sensations being portrayed all at once, because that sort of parallels the way we tend to interpret the world.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is definitely an allure to the dark side I can't exactly explain why, but I find such things beautiful. I think maybe we see dark themes in a more abstract way than most people, who seem to take it at face value.
When I was a kid my favorite film was Alien, my parents thought there was something wrong with me when I said that the creature in the film was pretty and that I wanted one as a pet, I still love H.R. Giger's work.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm into a lot of dark, morbid things that freak a lot of people out but for some odd reason I'm not freaked out about it. Graphic violence, gore, and blood in movies, books, etc don't bother me;however, I hate when it includes the elderly or children.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I'm definately not into gore. I can't stand people being in pain. It's the psychological elements that fascinate me.

I don;t think these things are "dark" but may be considered as such, but ever since I was younger I looked up case studies of murders. A favourite film of mine revolves around incest in the plot and I like stories that involve some "darker" twist or are just plain fucked up. I have a lot of fantasies with perhaps darker and quite morbid themes. Purely for the purpose of exploration into possibilities.
I think the whole spectrum of human nature and life has not been explored through history as yet. I wouldn't necessarily call anything i've mentioned "dark". I'm fascinated by death and I always think about it (although I try not to romanticise it) because I think it's a natural subject to contemplate, and I wouldn't call that morbid at all.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I thought I heard that us INFPs are very much attracted to the dark side of life. Meaning, we're usually interested in Edgar Allan Poe-like stories and morbid subjects like murder, suicide, self-harm, "dark" romance (dark romanticism), gothic fashion, etc.

This is usually very much true about me. I've been this way for as long as I could remember... "Dark" things never scared me and in fact, I was very much into that kind of stuff. What about you guys?

Edgar Allen Poe? You wouldn't accuse old "nevermore" of being a fan, would you? :tongue:

I'm INTP (so maybe this is less surprising?) but the "dark side" has definately always fascinated me as well.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yup...always been attracted to the more morbid side of things for as long as I can remember... I hate violence and gore... But I'm fascinated by the psychology of crazy people and mental disorders....graveyards....gothic architecture....and all sorts of things like that. I saw the coolest book at Borders today...really awesome photography and just got my mind and imagination going. I took a picture of it because it was so cool. :happy:

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I have an attraction to the tragic, morbid, melancholy, and darkly romantic. I also like things with a creepy, broken vibe, especially in architecture & photography. Things which are too pretty & perfect can be dull, but I do love sheer beauty also.

I don't like violence or gore for its own sake, as I empathize too heavily with characters as people. I draw the line when the violence is glorified. It's a moral line, and hard to define in words exactly.

I prefer the dark aspect when it is atmospheric, emotional or even psychological.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am indifferent to gore and violence. There are a few instances where it did disturb me a lot, but otherwise, I can still fall asleep at night without any issues if I ever think about them. :happy:

But yes, I am very interested in serial killers. I can never love one (Dude, why are these crazy women writing love letters to serial killers who are currently serving time?!??) but they do fascinate me from afar.

I am also a fan of dark romanticism.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I love hanging out in graveyards and old buildings...the more ruined and dilapidated the better. I photograph them and have posted a lot of the pics on my Facebook page (the only reason to have FB imho). I used to volunteer in an emergency room so I've seen lots of real blood and gore, but I can't say I find that fascinating in a morbid kind of way.

I'm not such a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's stories, but I love his poetry. His poetry is romantic, dark and brooding. I feel fortunate to live in one of the two cities which lays claim to being his hometown, and tomorrow I'll be celebrating Halloween at his graveside.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If I'm being honest, as my counselor has even observed... my pain and pleasure centers are, if not the same, very close to each other. So, I find violence, blood, and gore to be delicious and sensual, and I crave it, the more extreme, the better.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Batman was my favorite super hero growing up because he had a dark past. He didn't have super powers in the conventional sense, but he was by far the most clever and intuitive. His battle to control his emotions (for the most part) intrigued me because he had so many demons to overcome. I couldn't imagine the horror of watching your parents get slaughtered in front of your own eyes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts