Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This month, we are interviewing one of the sexiest members ALIVE, MannyP. He has been a long time contributor to our forums and his ability to charm top celebrity women and men, has landed him in our August MOTM! Here now is the interview with MannyP!

==================================================

MannyP

What is your real name? First name is fine no need for last name.

My name is Manny Prieto. Yes, I did give my last name even though I didn’t need to. The first reason is so you all can add me on Facebook. The second is so you know what the “P” in MannyP stands for (because it’s NOT Manny Pacquiao, you fools!).

How old are you?

Which country are you situated in?

The Home of Barack Obama, Landon Donovan, and Bruce Springsteen . . . Yup, I’m from the USA!

How would you describe yourself in one word?

One word? Heck, I could write an essay and still have a hard time describing myself! Hmm . . . I guess I’ll go with “achiever.”

How did you get involved with Personality Typing?

This is actually a very long story, so bear with me!

The very first time I took a personality test was actually during my freshman year of college. A lot of my friends were posting their results of an on-line MBTI-type test on their LiveJournals, so I took a test and scored as INFP. I read a description, thought it fit pretty well, but didn’t bother reading more into the system as college was keeping me pretty busy at the time.

Then, during my junior year as part of my Collaborative Leadership course, we took a test known as the DiSC. I scored highest on D and C and lowest on i (the “Creative” pattern), though as a class we all categorized ourselves based on one letter, and, being more introverted, I put myself in with the “Cs.” At first I didn’t like the system as I didn’t like being “put in a box,” but it did help me to recognize that not everyone thinks the same way I do.

When I started grad school, someone introduced me to the Enneagram. Then I did some more research online and discovered Jonathan Niednagel’s “Brain Types” system and how he uses MBTI to analyze athletes. This is what got me more interested in learning about personality typing.

How did you find Personality Cafe?

I found this site through Google.

What made you join us?

Around 2006-2007, I was part of another forum, but eventually got tired of personality typing and stopped participating in that forum so I could focus on other things in my life.

After finishing school, though, it did take some time for me to find a job, so I had more down time than I thought I would, and I wanted to use this time to figure myself out – what I value, what direction I want to go with my career, and so forth. So I started reading about personality typing again. I also realized I missed a lot of the friends I had from that forum, so I tried to go back, only to realize that it was down. So I wanted to look for a new forum. I noticed through my Google search that a couple of people from that old site are now members here, so that’s how I ended up here!

What is your Myers Briggs Personality Type?

ISTP, which I found out through reading about the functions as well as looking at my own interactions with others and realizing I’m more Sensing and Thinking rather than Intuitive and Feeling.

So what's it like to be an ISTP?

I always find these kinds of questions tough to describe, because I don’t know if there is any one thing that encompasses “being me.” I guess I’d say that I’m logical and practical. I like getting things done while at the same time enjoying freedom and mobility. Unfortunately, foresight isn’t my strongest suit, and sometimes I can get too caught up in what I’m doing to go out of my way for others.

Do you prefer to associate yourself with certain MB types? If so which?

I don’t really have a type preference per se, but I have noticed I’ve often gotten along well with ENFPs. A lot of ENFPs and ISTPs on this forum have shared similar sentiments, so apparently there is some “chemistry” between the two types that people can’t really explain. For me, I guess it’s because they have the energy to do stuff while at the same time being “different” enough to be interesting and not so controlling over what I do. And I guess I give off a sense of “mystery” that entices the ENFPs that like me.

Do you use "Personality Typing" in the real world?

I have, but these days I try not to get too caught up in trying to type people, as I’ve found that doing so leads more to overthinking than to useful information. So I use personality theory more for my own personal development than in trying to type others. One important thing to keep in mind is that cognitive functions and Enneagram-based motivations aren’t the only factors that determine one’s personality – the environment, and many other facts, play a role in human behavior.

I’ll use sports to illustrate an example of this. According to Jonathan Niednagel, the most successful type for NFL quarterbacks is ESTP. Yet in recent years, two ESTP quarterbacks have had very different careers. Peyton Manning is a Super Bowl Champion and four-time MVP, while Michael Vick has had a once-promising career derailed, largely due to his legal troubles. While both of these quarterbacks are the same type, it’s hard to imagine Manning doing the same kinds of things that got Vick in trouble. But keep in mind that Michael Vick was raised by a single mother in a housing project in a bad part of Virginia, while Peyton Manning is the son of a former NFL quarterback. Being raised in the slums as opposed to having the benefits of an NFL pedigree is no excuse for dogfighting and other questionable behaviors, but being raised in an environment where criminal activity is the norm certainly had an influence on the former Atlanta Falcons QB.

What is your Enneagram Type?

I believe my Enneagram Type is 3w4, sp/so/sx, with 9w1 and 5w6 as the other types in my Tri-Type (I don’t know much about sub-wing theory so I haven’t broken down my type that far yet).

Which personality theory do you find most helpful and accurate?

I think that both MBTI and the Enneagram have their uses and their flaws. I find the Enneagram to be more useful for personal growth, as the strengths and weaknesses of each type are laid out more clearly, but the subjectivity of that system make it difficult to type others, and I don’t know how useful figuring out someone else’s Enneagram type is if that person isn’t interested in learning about the Enneagram themselves. On the other hand, I find MBTI more useful for learning to communicate with other types and recognize differences, but at the same time it doesn’t always provide a clear path to personal growth.

Do you think the different personality theories give an accurate description of you?

Overall, I would say so, though as I’ve mentioned already, personality “type” is just one factor that goes into human behavior. Even among people of the same type there are differences. So there isn’t one theory that can completely explain an individual.

Has personality typing helped you in any way?

It has, in many ways. As I’ve mentioned, it has helped me to recognize the differences between myself and others, and to realize that not everyone responds well to the same kind of communication. I’ve worked as a personal trainer and a registered dietitian and volunteered as a sport coach, and all of those fields involve working with individual people, so it helps to know how to communicate with them and find out how to get the most out of every individual. And as an ISTP and an sx-last Three, I’ve come to recognize that close relationships (both in terms of girlfriends and “just friends” in general) are a weakness of mine, so that’s something I’m learning to work on.

So what do you believe is your greatest accomplishment at this point?

I often respond to this question by saying, “The next one.” I generally focus on looking ahead to what I’m looking to accomplish rather than dwelling on what I have accomplished, especially in this “What have you done for me lately?” society.

I think I’d say getting through both Cornell and Columbia was something I can be proud of. Not many can even get into one Ivy League school, let alone make it all the way through two.

For a Sensor who talks about sports all the time, you certainly don’t fit the stereotype of a dumb jock, especially with those Ivy League degrees of yours. How have you managed to balance it all?

It does take a lot of work to be successful, whether that is in the classroom or on the athletic field, so to be successful at both takes even more work. I think being successful at both has a lot to do with how much one desires to be successful at all areas of their life, as well as being willing to give up the things that get in the way of these goals. I see a lot of people turning to things like drinking, drugs, spending hours watching bad TV shows, and arguing with people over the Internet, and none of these things are going to make you a better student or a better athlete, and in fact they take away time that you can spend studying or training or doing things that actually will make you better.

For the athlete who needs to do better academically, it’s important to put the same kind of effort into academics as you would into sports. Just like it doesn’t take talent to work hard in the field, it doesn’t take a genius to do the basic things like go to class, do your homework, and read. You never know when you may suffer a career-ending injury or just not make it to the next level, and if you don’t have a solid foundation to fall back on, you’ve just put all your eggs in one broken basket.

For the people who aren’t so athletically gifted, understanding your sport, as well as your body processes, can go a long way. The strategies of sport, as well as the training needed to prepare for a competition, all have an intellectual component to them. The “nerd” types often feel out of touch with their environment, but it doesn’t have to be this way – knowing how to move and how to interact with the physical world can be very useful. Further, while thinking and information are great, change can’t happen unless there is action. Overthinking isn’t always a good thing.

I will say, though, that my environment did help to influence me as well. One of the more successful athletes in my high school graduating class is Craig Cooper, who is now playing baseball with the San Diego Padres organization. During his time at my high school, he took advanced math classes like I did and made the honor roll. And this is one of many people at my school who had 90%+ averages and earned athletic scholarships. People like Craig show that you don’t need to be a dumb jock to be a good athlete.

What is your greatest weakness?

I’d say that what I don’t know will always be the limiting factor. I’ve always been willing to learn and put in the work needed to learn new skills, but I know that I haven’t completely mastered everything.

What is your greatest strength?

I’d say it’s my determination. When I was a kid my parents thought I had a learning disability, and I often suffered from asthma attacks. But I never let either of those things stop me.

What is your greatest fear?

Failure. Or, more importantly, failing to live up to my potential.

What motivates you?

I’d say it’s my own competitiveness, along with the excitement from doing what I enjoy and the attention I get from others.

What is your philosophy?

Live a life you can be proud of.

What are you passionate about?

As many of you know, I am a huge sports fan. As an athlete and as a coach, I can always find something to learn any time I watch a sporting event. In addition, I like the action, as well as the energy of the crowds that show up to watch sports. And helping someone to become a better athlete gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I’ve made a difference in someone’s life.

Oh, and speaking of sports, everyone knows I'm a huge Yankees fan, and there is a story behind that, too. My Dad used to always take us to Mets games, but our seats were always terrible (like, in the nosebleed section). In 1997, a year after the Yankees won the World Series, I won a contest for my church and got box seats, right behind the visitor's dugout! After watching the game from seats that good, I knew which team I wanted to root for!

My sister got into the Yankees well after I did, but now that she and her husband are season ticket holders, the Yankees have become somewhat of a family thing for us. We even watched the Home Run Derby in 2008, when it took place at the old Yankee Stadium and Josh Hamilton had that record-setting night! And now she's even more hardcore into baseball than I am, sending me messages about obscure stats that even I don't care about! :crazy:

Past Jobs/Current?

As I’ve mentioned, I have worked as a personal trainer, and I am a Registered Dietitian. Most recently I was the head nutritionist at a gym, but I left because of personal reasons. Currently I go to people’s homes to do nutrition counseling, and I also do on-line nutrition sessions through the web site healthcrowd.com.

What are your pet peeves?

It annoys me when people complain but don’t do anything about it. Also, please don’t do curls in the squat rack.

Who do you look up to if any?

A lot of people have influenced me throughout the years. As a track and field athlete I had the benefit of training under a great coaching staff, including NY Hall of Famer Bill Carriero. At Cornell, Brenda Bricker (who taught my Collaborative Leadership course), as well as the nutrition faculty – including David Levitsky, Emily Gier, Susan Travis, and Virginia Utermohlen – all taught me a great deal. And at Columbia I give a lot of credit to Christina Costa for running my Dietetic Internship program, as well as the rest of the nutrition faculty for their excellent teaching. As far as training, I look up to Michael Boyle and Alwyn Cosgrove (both of whom I met when I was in Boston for the Perform Better seminar), as well as a number of people whose works I’ve read, including the late Charlie Francis, Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, Kelly Baggett, Joe Defranco, Jason Ferruggia, and numerous others.

So we heard you were cheating on Blake Lively with Hayley Williams. How is Blake taking it?

HA! I knew there was going to be a Blake Lively/Hayley Williams question in this interview!

Well, Blake did say something about how I should go see other women . . . so that’s exactly what I did! :tongue:

In all seriousness, though, it is interesting to see how the people of Personality Café react to my “celebrity crushes.” When I first started posting pics of Blake Lively here, I never thought that people would make it out to be as big a deal as they have, as this was something I was just doing for fun and to break the ice with Gossip Girl fans. And then I started putting several Paramore music videos on my profile and using pics of Hayley Williams as my avatar, and that’s how this whole thing got started.

I did a poll to see how the people of Personality Café would react to my “switching” my celebrity crush from Blake to Hayley, and Hayley did end up leading the poll. But it looks like there are plenty of people here who would see such a switch as a sign of the apocalypse or something.

What is your favorite place to travel to?

I’ve been to a lot of different places, including Arizona, California, D.C., Florida, Massachusetts, Utah, and Virginia as well as countries such as Canada, the Philippines, Japan, Italy, and the Bahamas so this is actually a tough question to answer!

These days I like to travel for practical purposes (such as going to seminars or meeting up with college friends), so it depends on what’s going on at the time. One place that does sound interesting to me is the Dominican Republic – I’d love to check out the baseball academies they have over there, as well as brush up on my Spanish.

Your favorite favorite color and weather.

I like red (because that’s the color of Cornell – GO BIG RED!) and clear, sunny weather.

What are your favorite books, movies, tv shows, food, beverages?

Personally I’m not so big on movies or TV shows, but I do read a lot of non-fiction – mostly books on exercise, nutrition, or business/personal growth. Some of my favorite training books include Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove, and Train to Win! by Martin Rooney. Other favorites include The Four-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss, Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle, and How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.

As far as food and beverages go, I love chili, and water is my beverage of choice most of the time – it is the healthiest, of course. But I will admit that water gets boring sometimes, so I like to mix things up by drinking sparkling water and/or adding lemons or limes to give some flavor.

Favorite animal?

I’d say a Liontiger, but I hear they’re not so into men, so . . .

OK, bad joke there. Actually, I like cheetahs, because they’re fast.

What type of music genre do you listen to?

I listen to all sorts of stuff, including hip-hop, rock, Top 40 Pop, trance, house, and even video game music.

Any favorite singers or band?

I’m sure you all know how much I like Paramore by now! :blushed:

Other artists I like include Eminem, Jay-Z, Nelly Furtado, Christina Aguilera, The Killers, and Incubus.

I should also mention that, being from NYC, I see a lot of local artists who do shows in bars, and I’ll often go to their shows to support them. In particular I’d like to give a shout-out to my high school classmate, Danny Carmelo, whose latest album is on iTunes! He also has a YouTube channel (DannyCarmelo) featuring many of his performances – go check him out!

Your favorite websites to visit?

Of course everyone who gets interviewed here is going to say Personality Café!

Other than that, though, here are a couple of web sites I like to visit regularly:

The more “typical” stuff: Facebook, ESPN.com
Training/Nutrition: T-Nation.com, EliteFTS.com, CorePerformance.com, PrecisionNutrition.com, Pubmed.gov (for research articles)

What do you do for fun and relaxation?

I like to read, play video games, and hang out (whether that be with you guys on Ventrilo or with “RL” people doing various things). Now that I think of it, it’s kind of funny referring to them as “RL” people because I have met up with several members of this site multiple times!

What was it like meeting up with Personality Café members?

This summer I met Aerorobyn, kimchitasi, and TurranMC, and it was a lot of fun hanging out with all of them! It’s interesting to finally put faces to names and be able to read their body language and all that other stuff that’s hard to do on-line. Interestingly, we hardly ever talked at all – most of the time we were hanging out doing various things, like going to clubs, touring the Nintendo World Store and Columbia’s campus, and things like that.

Aerorobyn actually has me beat as far as members she’s met – she’s actually from Texas but did an internship in NY this summer, and now she’s met one of our other members from Texas – but I do look forward to talking with more people here! I plan on going to Boston the first weekend of November for a conference, and I know there are some people on this site who are from Boston, so I’d love to do a meet-up with you guys!

Can you give us your best tip on how to get a rocking body like yours?

A lot of people focus way too much on gimmicks or minor details instead of focusing on what’s really important. My body was one that was built on years of hard training and healthy eating; this isn’t something that happened overnight, nor was there any singular “secret” to my success.

There are lots of different workout routines and diets out there, but those who are successful in achieving their physique goals all follow similar principles. I suggest you all read this article so you can understand just what those principles are: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...y_you_want&cr=.

What do you know now that you wish you'd known 5 years ago?

I’d say it comes down to learning how not to take myself too seriously. That was something I did start to learn at the time but hadn’t fully mastered until I graduated from college. I over-extended myself with studying and extracurricular activities to try to “make a name for myself” when I should have realized that earning the degree in itself is a great accomplishment, and I never really took the time to appreciate that college experience at Cornell until after I graduated.

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.

I feel like that’s a tough question since I’ve already revealed a lot about myself here – probably more than most people IRL know!

I guess the one thing that might surprise people, given how much I talk about celebrities like Blake Lively or Hayley Williams, is that I don’t spend much time reading about celebrities at all. Pretty much all my information comes from Facebook (as inevitably at least one of my friends will post something if it’s newsworthy) and newsstands. There are lots of newsstands on the streets and subways of NYC, as well as bookstores, so I get to see lots of magazine and newspaper covers and get a lot of information from those without even opening the magazine or paper.

What do you like most about PersonalityCafe?

I like how this site introduced me to new people to meet. Now that I’m out of school it can sometimes be hard to meet new people, especially since approaching strangers at a bar isn’t really my kind of thing.

What do you dislike most about PersonalityCafe?

I don’t like it when people get into arguments over stuff that really isn’t important. But such is the nature of Internet forums in general (not just here).

Has PerC taught you anything?

It’s helped to reinforce the idea that there are people out there who think very differently from me. This site is much bigger than the previous forum I frequented, so I get exposed to many more opinions and cultures, and it’s a great experience to interact with them all.

Do you have any advice for the community of PerC?

Here’s a quote from Jim Wendler (author of 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength) that sums up the way I want to live my life, and how I think others should:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wendler
Always try to lead an interesting life. Get out and kick some ass at what you love to do and make shit happen. Have a life worth putting on the movie screen or in a book.
Note: arguing on the internet about any subject is the furthest fucking thing from interesting, and if you think that it would make for a cool movie then I'd hate to see your DVD collection.

So what is next for you? What are your plans and goals for the future?

As far as my career goes, I’d like to further expand my practice and hopefully get to work with some athletes, as sports nutrition is a passion of mine. There’s also the whole “starting a family” thing – I’d certainly love to have kids of my own. But those kids need a mommy first!

Give us your parting words.

I’d like to thank you, Happy, for doing this interview with me – it was a lot of fun! I’d also like to thank all of those who nominated me for Member of the Month, and for that matter, everyone who has read my posts. I’m glad to know that you find what I have to say interesting, and I hope you’ve gotten something out of what you’ve read. It’s nice to know that I mean something to somebody.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
favorite animal question by far ;D

congratz

Reactions: Fanille

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Congrats...You are quite the accomplished person!:laughing: And my favorite question was "Do you use 'Personality Typing' in the real world?"

Who else is from Boston here? I didn't know there was a lot?!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Aww! It was an interesting interview! Congratulations, Mannnnnnny!!! :happy:

P.S! Is it really weird that I thought about MannyP when I thought about the member of the month of the August? :shocked::laughing:

·
MOTM Aug 2010
1,412 Posts
Congrats...You are quite the accomplished person!:laughing: And my favorite question was "Do you use 'Personality Typing' in the real world?"
Thanks! :proud:

Who else is from Boston here? I didn't know there was a lot?!
Liontiger/Lightning/White goes to Simmons College in Boston, and I know Verdant Hollow and la musa candido are also from that area (though neither of those two are active here anymore).

Verdant did make a thread a really long time ago suggesting a Boston Meetup (though D.C. people derailed it to try get people to go there instead, lol):

Boston Area Meetup

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Well-deserved Manny, congratulations :happy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Congratulations, Manny!! :happy:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Damn! Really nice interview!

But we all know ISTP's are just INTP's wannabes :wink:.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Vair nice.

Nerds should learn sports, srsly. Couldn't agree more (Especially INTxs ;P look at any sport involved question on this forum and you'll see why). Water is definitely the best drink of all time. It pisses me off too when people complain and don't do anything about it. It's more common people do it over here because when you're looking for validation in America it's more socially acceptable to talk about it, not "look for help" in a disguise for validation. Ugh. Hate that crap.

Hayley Williams is hotter than Blake Lively anyways.

And you can still appreciate the liontiger from afar like I do since there aren't any in my country :D ;P. I'm so going to visit your website and great interview Manny :happy:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
With no offense to anyone who was interviewed before, I found this to be the most facinating and engaging interview to date on this forum. Thanks for being so forthcoming, mannyP! You are a very interesting and intelligent man.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.