Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I don't think that authority is self justified. I think that any authoritarian figure should have to prove that their authority is legitimate and necessary. If they can't (it's very unlikely that they can) it should be dismantled.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Depends on what type of authority, and how much there is, and how it is being used.
I feel as if most people should be free to run their own lives as long as they don't infringe on the lives of others.

"We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose."

Authority exists because there needs to be someone that will hold people accountable for their actions. They keep people honest and true and I think that is great. But it is also easily corruptible and can quickly become abusive.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Power is an illusion in my opinion.

Maybe it has to do with how well developed a person's ego is.
An ENTJ told me that everyone has an ego. I disagreed.. at first.. but then I thought about it, and, well, maybe we do all have egos. I don't know.. but I remember that before my ego was well-developed I felt like an observer, watching the world from behind the scenes. I was powerless, did not have any say in what happened to me, but I was able to understand the world much better from "outside of the box". I was basically a child trapped in a teenager's body.. I wasn't conscious of having an ego.
When I needed something, I had outbursts.. so.. maybe the ego starts out purely instinctual.

One of my biggest regrets is seeking out power, though. Power corrupts and/or leaves you short-sighted.

I believe if there were a lot fewer people on the planet, people wouldn't have to rely on leaders so much.. There'd be more teamwork and less domineering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts