Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

There are always description of the thought process of Fe. Yeah with Fe we can care about everyone etc. etc.

Are there ever any automatic responses with Fe even if you're quiet?

For example, would you jump on a grenade? Do you have any instant reflexes?

What does Fe in physical action look like? I use Fe and Fi.

I'm not sure if I automatically feel Fi or Fe. I process what has happened, and then if it's necessary I'll take action. Sometimes I won't feel anything at all (I'm not entirely INFJ).

Example:

One time I was on the phone with a friend and I walked into my living room and right when I did, my mom stubbed her toe on the corner of the couch and kind of layed down holding her foot and moaning. I just stood there with no emotional reaction from across the room and watched her in pain for about 5 seconds then said nonchalantly "Oh, are you okay?" <--- pointless question.

Then I asked "Do you want some ice or some advil?" Then I just went and brought her some ice and some advil and then I went into the other room to continue talking on the phone with my friend. He started laughing hysterically because he heard what was going on through the phone, and how calm and awkward I was about the situation. I did go back later to check on her after I got off the phone.

It made me think about how in that moment I felt no empathy nor sympathy. Maybe I was just on the phone and was distracted. Either way it seemed highly.. either Fi or just no F in general.

You get the idea. So consider the questions above and let me know what Fe looks like in action/or as a reaction or reflex. And also how you feel and what goes on through your mind. Thank you.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Well, for one, when someone says something offensive or inappropriate my facial expression gives away my discomfort of the individual. I know this because they immediately stop their offensive or inappropriate behavior after looking at me. Most of the time I'm unaware of me doing this, it's like you said, a reflex.

·
Registered
325 Posts
An example that I can give was one that happened at my clinical placement. We had an agitated bi-polar patient who was up for a general check up and the doctor was asking her questions relating to her health history. The questions got deeper and more personal; the bi-polar patient snarled at me and the senior nurse, we were there to accompany the doctor who was pregnant, as she wanted the two nurses to get out of the room because she said she didn't trust us. Immediately I walked out of the door and I didn't even think twice about doing the deed. As soon as I closed the door, I realised why we were there in the first place - it wasn't safe to leave the doctor all by herself considering she had a bun in the oven and the patient was in an uninhibited state. I was relieved that the senior nurse was more than audacious to differ the patient. I suppose this is a good example of Fe gone awry.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for one, when someone says something offensive or inappropriate my facial expression gives away my discomfort of the individual. I know this because they immediately stop their offensive or inappropriate behavior after looking at me. Most of the time I'm unaware of me doing this, it's like you said, a reflex.
Haha, I think many people do this. Or I do at least. Well some people have been very surprised at some facial expressions I'll make in these types of situations because most of the time my face is chilled because things don't bother me that much. It's kind of funny because I don't react to anger always. So I might feel angry about something, then a couple seconds later I realize I want to let them know I'm angry so I have to act like I'm angry. Then I can't take myself seriously at that point and I kind of start laughing at myself.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Automatic Fe responses? Hm.

When my INTJ ex was broken up with recently, I extended to him my empathy as soon as I found out (via Facebook) without even thinking about it. After said empathy was offered, I paused and wondered why I was doing such a thing, considering the amount of pain he'd put me through and general immaturity of his current person.

As far as physical examples... I give backrubs to a couple of my close friends if they seem to be in pain without really asking with more than a concerned look or maybe a quiet sentence. (Said backrubs are automatic if I'm dating that person.)

A few times when I've been upset and my significant other at the time gets frustrated with my reasons for being upset (and my inability to be consoled when I get like that), I leave the room. I have to. I don't even think about moving until it's already happened, even if I really feel internally as if staying and talking it out in an emotional state might have been a better option. (It's as if my showing too extreme of an emotion in front of someone will cause harm to them or something.)

Towards strangers I suppose it happens to a lesser extent. Facial expression changes are fairly common.

Laughing/chuckling automatically when others are laughing and I find whatever the subject is mildly amusing might be a reflex.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I definitely do have what I call "politeness reflexes" in a lot of my reactions; I act empathetic and/or super nice when I really don't care at all. I think that's Fe manifesting its need to be "socially acceptable".

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,470 Posts
Well I know you thought you were a type 9 at one point. That could possibly explain this as well though I'm sure we've all done that at one point or another. I know I have but it is less common for me to feel apathetic unless I feel too drained to respond and just too drained in general for me to feel empathetic. I get like that when stressed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I'm in a conversation with someone and they're trying to be funny (regardless of whether they are being funny or not) I'll reflexively start smiling. A weird thing I noticed is that I also do this when tv characters are trying and failing to be funny...I start smiling at the tv as if it's going to comfort them. Also if I'm watching tv and an uncomfortable moment comes up - I change the channel without thinking, it's hard for me to watch people be embarrassed...even if they're fake made up people :p

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. Typical INFJ-ness. Often my expression of how I feel about situation comes a little before my thoughts reach my brain, and people react almost right before I grasp just what happened.

But on a slightly different note, there is one physical Fe reflex that comes to mind that happened a couple months ago. I was driving my mother home after having lunch with her downtown, and I was making a right turn as a car on the street I was about to turn onto was turning into where I was. I looked right, didn't see a thing, look left, and said car was turning left.. I had the OK to go. I looked right again just as I was started to make my right turn and immediately, before I even really comprehended what I was seeing, slammed on my breaks because two running teenage girls ran not only in front of my car with out looking but right in front of the car to my left that was turning onto the street I was on. My immediate reaction was to apologize profusely to my mother, but she was just left amazed by my quick reactions. She told me that those runners were complete idiots to run in front of both cars without looking, and that if she had been driving she would have, with out a doubt, hit the runners, and that she was extremely impressed with my quick-thinking reflexes. I'm not sure if this was my Fe kicking in to help out or what, but I'd like to think it was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts