Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awareness of External Environment

Yooo. INTP here...

I will admit that I've had a little difficulty with both awareness of my immediate environment and getting outside my head while growing up. There have been many times where I was just plain oblivious to what's going on around me because I find it so easy to get lost in thought.

Just wondering if any ENTJ's share this problem to any extent. Speculations as to why would of course be more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sometimes I am so goal-focused that I lose important details in my surrounding. This is usually when working. When relaxing, I meditate by using my senses only.

Reactions: Agent Blackout

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I'm very aware of my surroundings. I would have be stressed to the max not to know what is going on around me. Or, if I am out with someone and totally engaged in our conversation I may not be as aware. But, for the most part I know what is going on around me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I actually wonder how it feels to get lost inside your head and not noticing things around you, lol.

I feel like being on alert mode all the time. In public places I usually (unconsciously) eavesdrop people. I didn't mean to but I just can't help it, putting my concentration into listening on.

And sometimes even when i don't want to listen, i can't tune out.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Oh man, I always know what's going on around me. I can hear separate conversations as I look at the people, I see how parents interact with their children, I notice couples trying to hide that they're arguing, I notice a girl feeling self conscious, I notice the wall color, the artwork, the light fixtures, the music, the bartender ignoring the obnoxious guy at the bar, what the lady diagonally from me ordered, what her date is drinking, wearing, if they seem to be newly dating, or been together for a while, if they seem compatible, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. but...I love it. And that might sound like I couldn't possibly be paying attention to a conversation I am engaged in, but I am...completely.

At the same time, in a familiar environment like my home, I will allow myself to live completely in my head, in a book, or on the internet and be totally oblivious to what's going on around me.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I was under the impression that extroverted sensing is our awareness of external environment, but it seems that @Enfpleasantly has a hyper awareness (Si?) of external environment without Se so I could be wrong.

All I know is I do NOT have the level of detail that she has... I tend to focus on what is relevant and omit the noise.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I was under the impression that extroverted sensing is our awareness of external environment, but it seems that @Enfpleasantly has a hyper awareness (Si?) of external environment without Se so I could be wrong.

All I know is I do NOT have the level of detail that she has... I tend to focus on what is relevant and omit the noise.
I put this clarification in the ENFP version of this thread, maybe this will help...

I should clarify that the deeper the conversation, the less I notice around me. For example, I went out to dinner this evening and I was having a very involved and deep conversation on a theory; I barely remember anything that was happening around us. Times when I have less stimulating conversation is when I notice the environment around me more. Also, during the less stimulating conversations, there are times where I block what I'm hearing to concentrate on something I'm thinking about going on around me. There are usually longer pauses and periods of silence between talking in the more superficial conversations. When the conversation is very stimulating, I never tune out.

Also, most of the things I notice revolve around people. I have a constant curiosity about people and how they behave and interact. However, a stimulating conversation or deep concentration on something can shut that down.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
I only notice what is relevant to what I am working on.
Unless I am specifically looking at or listening to something, I'm clueless.
A clown in a rainbow wig could walk by and I wouldn't see it.
I tend to be focused on what's important at the moment and tune everything else out.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm pretty damn clueless about what's going on unless I try to make myself aware. If Se is our situational awareness, I guess I have to try to use it. I normally keep my awareness up. When working (or otherwise concentrating), it is gone. lol

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"Se: The sixth function of the ENTj is Se, by which the essence of experiences arrive and insights into their development arise.Though be this a weak, unconscious, and influential function, it should find itself most active within the presence of one whose dominant function coincides, for it it seeks to be strong and may pretend to be such. At other times, an expression of this function may find itself in place of the weak and conscious Si function. Manifested bahaviours expected of this function should include demonstrating a tendency to exagerrate the effects of current experiences to seem better or worse than in reality, tending to accept the outcomes of negitive experiences or to tolerate bad reoccuring situations, ignorantly leaving good or bad experiences for bad or worse ones, tendency towards manipulating statistics into a favorable direction, and prone to biased onesidedness. "

Source: http://personalitycafe.com/entj-art...description-best-entj-guide-ever-written.html

Reactions: wiarumas

·
Banned
283 Posts
Ne is pretty similar to Se. Key difference is that its theoretical. But its still awareness. "The spoon does not really exists" matrix kind of stuff.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am always aware of what is going on around me. I notice things that others do not and I'm constantly scanning the area that I'm in.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
This is kind of interesting to me...I was just talking to my ENTJ husband about this topic and we came to the conclusion that he notices the physical environment, specifically his way around (which I am terrible at), while I am more likely to notice the people in the environment and the minor details like decor.

For example, in a new building, if he and I walk in, I will immediately notice the people around me, and perhaps some of the art on the walls. He will retain his way around the building with ease, while I will have to really think about it or follow signs to find my way out...like say at a hospital or large building, I'm not talking about a drug store or something small, lol. However, I could ask him if he saw the lady in the blue shirt glaring at her husband and he will not have noticed...to the point of never even noticing them at all, let alone their actions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.