Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awareness of External Environment

Yooo. INTP here...

I will admit that I've had a little difficulty with both awareness of my immediate environment and getting outside my head while growing up. There have been many times where I was just plain oblivious to what's going on around me because I find it so easy to get lost in thought.

Just wondering if any ENFJ's share this problem to any extent. Speculations as to why would of course be more than welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Wow... on behalf of the ENFJ forum, sorry for the late reply.

Um, I would say that some of us also suffer from your problem. I can certainly relate to having poorer sensory perceptions. I take it you would understand in the same way I do given that Se is both our tertiary functions.

Solution wise, I cannot really say much.

It's odd though. My INTP brother is kinda like that and he's pretty air headed at certain times but when it comes to football (or soccer depending on where you live), he's pretty good. He told me at the end of the day, it came down to passion so there's probably half your answer.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Awareness of External Environment

Yooo. INTP here...

I will admit that I've had a little difficulty with both awareness of my immediate environment and getting outside my head while growing up. There have been many times where I was just plain oblivious to what's going on around me because I find it so easy to get lost in thought.

Just wondering if any ENFJ's share this problem to any extent. Speculations as to why would of course be more than welcome.

Thanks!
A great example of this would be the last time I drove home from school. It's a pretty lengthy drive and I usually go it alone. I missed one of my exits and drove for an entire hour without realizing I was going in the wrong direction....which could partially be because the landscape where I'm from looks pretty similar all around.

I realized I was lost when I looked over and saw this magnificent structure and thought "Hey, that looks like the insect colony in Star Wars Episode 2" and then it clicked, I had never seen it before.

I also often miss people when they say hello to me walking out of class etc. :] It's really because I'm in my head a lot, like you, although it hasn't plagued me enough to where it has seriously disrupted my life. :p

Out of curiosity, what are some of your experiences with this?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I can relate to that A LOT. Sometimes, I just think about something (usually relaying past conversations in my head or what) and not notice where I'm going or what's going on in my environment.

I've become more aware of it ever since I started hanging out with sensors. My ISTJ would always be the first to notice things in the surroundings and point them out to me, and I'm always unaware. Eg. "Did you see that guy wearing the shirt with a [statement or character] printed on it?" or "Watch out for that car!" XD

My roommate is a ISFJ and I've always been amazed by her ability to notice things, like fallen hair strands on the floor for example. Or where this person's hands were in the keyboard while he was typing. O_O

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
A great example of this would be the last time I drove home from school. It's a pretty lengthy drive and I usually go it alone. I missed one of my exits and drove for an entire hour without realizing I was going in the wrong direction....which could partially be because the landscape where I'm from looks pretty similar all around.

I realized I was lost when I looked over and saw this magnificent structure and thought "Hey, that looks like the insect colony in Star Wars Episode 2" and then it clicked, I had never seen it before.

I also often miss people when they say hello to me walking out of class etc. :] It's really because I'm in my head a lot, like you, although it hasn't plagued me enough to where it has seriously disrupted my life. :p

Out of curiosity, what are some of your experiences with this?
Lol! I've missed an exit or four on the highway. And I've unintentionally missed people who've tried saying hi... :(
I can't text and walk. Definitely can't text and walk. I can only succeed at one at a time lol.
I almost never used to notice people's new haircuts, clothes, or sometimes even cars :(

I wouldn't say it's seriously disrupted my life, my awareness had just been noticeably poorer than the rest of the world up until the past few years. I think it has to do with the fact that my mind is just wired to pay attention to what is immediately relevant to what I'm thinking about? Just made me wonder about the rest of y'all N's; it was indeed an ENFJ that taught me how to get out my head.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
30+ views, and 3 days later... I take that as a no? Lolol!
Well, now you know how to get ENFJ's to respond to threads ;)

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can be extremely aware and have a heightened sense of one-ness with my environment when I choose to do so. If I'm undergoing stress, or stressful thoughts then I become more and more unaware of what's going on around me. I don't notice anything. An example is that 2 days ago my sister was supposed to pick me up from downtown. I was supposed to meet her at the corner of a set of lights. I was so lost in my thoughts that she passed by me and stopped a few metres ahead of me.

It took her seven minutes [according to her] to get my attention. I was completely lost at that point.

Something like this happened to me on the day of my bike accident as well. I left home after a fight with my father [I wanted to take his car, but he refused]. Got into an accident because I was deep in thought about the previous night where I had played in front of a crowd of a thousand and met this beautiful girl with the voice of an angel xD and at the same time sleepy, disoriented and seething at my dad. Rammed straight into the car. Looking back, I think if I had been a little more aware of what was going on around me, I could've done something to prevent it. There's another aspect to my accident that I'm not revealing in public.

However, generally I need to actually work on being aware.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, now you know how to get ENFJ's to respond to threads ;)

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can be extremely aware and have a heightened sense of one-ness with my environment when I choose to do so. If I'm undergoing stress, or stressful thoughts then I become more and more unaware of what's going on around me. I don't notice anything. An example is that 2 days ago my sister was supposed to pick me up from downtown. I was supposed to meet her at the corner of a set of lights. I was so lost in my thoughts that she passed by me and stopped a few metres ahead of me.

It took her seven minutes [according to her] to get my attention. I was completely lost at that point.

Something like this happened to me on the day of my bike accident as well. I left home after a fight with my father [I wanted to take his car, but he refused]. Got into an accident because I was deep in thought about the previous night where I had played in front of a crowd of a thousand and met this beautiful girl with the voice of an angel xD and at the same time sleepy, disoriented and seething at my dad. Rammed straight into the car. Looking back, I think if I had been a little more aware of what was going on around me, I could've done something to prevent it. There's another aspect to my accident that I'm not revealing in public.

However, generally I need to actually work on being aware.
Thank you for sharing; so I know I'm not alone. Hope everything is okay after all that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts