Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a big party this weekend and I want to go and have a good time, but I don't want to feel the awkwardness that always comes with it. Most of the people there are acquaintances or strangers (like most parties), I can't dance, and I'm just not comfortable in the atmosphere (I was raised to believe parties were evil, so I didn't have a lot of experience). I want to go and fit in though, and there are certain people that will be there that I really want to meet and have a good first impression with. I'm concerned that my awkwardness will do the exact opposite for me and I was wondering if anyone out on the internetz had any advice (I am aware of the irony :laughing:)

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
It doesn't matter how odd you come off as long as you seem confident in it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't matter how odd you come off as along as you seem confident in it.
Yeah. Good advice. It's not my most confident setting; are there any tricks to that? (other than drinking lol) Would faking confidence be a good plan?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Yeah. Good advice. It's not my most confident setting; are there any tricks to that? (other than drinking lol) Would faking confidence be a good plan?
I honestly think most people who come off as confident a lot are faking it. Fake it til ya make it. And yes alcohol helps a lot.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I honestly think most people who come off as confident a lot are faking it. Fake it til ya make it. And yes alcohol helps a lot.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yeah, alcohol is a good trick for loosening up. Lol. You don't have to drink though. Just be sociable, and try to talk to everyone and actually try to have fun. ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Alcohol is your friend in these situations.

One trick I've also learned is to joke about your awkwardness. Naturally I'm awkward as hell, yet I get along with almost everybody because I make it understandable. Try to make a joke about everything awkward you do. You thought you'd get a handshake instead of a brofist? Just laugh it off, you know.

Most people understand it when you do something awkward, it's all good as long as you stay open and happy about it all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Most people understand it when you do something awkward, it's all good as long as you stay open and happy about it all.
Pretty much. I think awkwardness is only awkward when people act awkwardly about it. When something obviously awkward happens in a group setting, I almost always smile/laugh and others end up doing the same, and the tension is gone.

Alcohol helps for sure, but you know what else helps? Music. Pump yourself up by listening to stimulating music beforehand while getting ready.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
There's a big party this weekend and I want to go and have a good time, but I don't want to feel the awkwardness that always comes with it. Most of the people there are acquaintances or strangers (like most parties), I can't dance, and I'm just not comfortable in the atmosphere (I was raised to believe parties were evil, so I didn't have a lot of experience). I want to go and fit in though, and there are certain people that will be there that I really want to meet and have a good first impression with. I'm concerned that my awkwardness will do the exact opposite for me and I was wondering if anyone out on the internetz had any advice (I am aware of the irony :laughing:)
First thing you want to do; roll in there with friends you know are going to be able to keep your mood up on the way there. The more you're enjoying yourself on the way there, the more you're going to enjoy yourself once you get to the party. Predrink, of course, but don't finish all you've got before getting inside, or you're going to find yourself annoyed at the work you'll have to put in to get more liquor (well, you can get people to drink you up, but for now, let's focus on making sure you don't have to do that).

Second thing, once you and your friends roll inside, looking like you're having the time of your lives, walk up to the first group of people you see and start talking to them for a minute. If you're fun and engaging, you won't have any problems getting them to like you. Don't be afraid of judgement; if you don't know them, their first impression of you is of a fun party guy who's looking to have a great time that night.

Do this for every group of people you see, and I guarantee your night will be great. Make sure you're keeping your mood up the entire time; if you feel it flagging, get some more booze, or start making plans to leave (I can't tell you how much time you'll save by leaving a party when you aren't completely enjoying yourself. They very rarely get better, and by the end of the night, you'll find yourself wishing you'd left a lot earlier.), either to a new venue, or home.

Also, don't worry about impressing anyone; focus on having fun, first and foremost. Keep your confidence; remember, you don't need anyone else to validate how awesome you really are. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts