Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my immediate family has never been the intimate emotional type.. my entire life it's all just been impersonal conversations at dinner etc and nobody is really close. My other siblings aren't close with me or each other..

And so with cousins and aunt/uncles it's even less; we always only saw them two, maybe three times a year for holidays so they always feel like strangers now that I'm an adult.

Anyways, next week my dad planned this RV road trip for the family to visit his brother and his family.. none of us are close with them at all, in fact everyone but my Dad has gone five years without talking to any of them and that was for a wedding.. before that it was probably another three or four years since we saw them last. We just aren't close and it's this way with all cousins and aunts/uncles on my mom and dads side; just impersonal. Maybe they mean well, but it's just distant and I've always hated it.

I've been dreading going because it's four days with forced awkward interactions where they pretend like they really care, when obviously they don't or else we'd be in contact more.

Of course a road trip would be a blast, but things are rocky with me and my family as it is.. and if I go I'm going to want to retreat and be on my own while out there as much as possible; going on walks etc and just enjoying the trip as if I went by myself.. which my parents obviously wouldn't like.

And if I don't go i'll feel bad because my Dad seems to be excited about this..

I'm so different from my siblings and parents, and I more than any other sibling don't mesh well with my family, immediate and relatives.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It can definitely be frustrating and hard to try and connect with distant relatives like that. Mine are distant mainly physically, but that distance also makes meetings feel lacking in connection just because we are in touch so little if nothing else. I didn't even meet the Venetian/Italian half of my family in person until a couple years ago. It was certainly plenty distant feeling, and it wasn't exactly an easy or super relaxing week of socializing, but they are family and even with the struggles one can get a lot out of trying to connect.

It truly is necessary to struggle a bit to get something meaningful out of most anything, and a little bit more of a close/in touch family is something quite valuable. It may not seem like it makes a difference, but you'll appreciate having had made some efforts to connect in the future too! Even if you don't absolutely love them to death or anything, they are family, and they are therefore people who should always be there for you if you need it and vice versa. If nothing else, you'll probably get some good stories and memories from the adventure!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts