Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading up of how some people may describe INFPs, how my friends describe our type, online descriptions, etc. I can't always trust these assumptions, but I came across a word that is often used to describe us-which I found very odd- Elegant.
Description;
pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

Um, I don't know about you, but for some reason, Elegant is the worst way to describe us. I'm pretty much socially awkward and a clutz in every way. I know other INFPs just like that. Face is, we're kind of awkward, maybe not much for some, but the awkwardness is there.

Anyways, do you think we're elegant? I mean, I know a hell of a lot of INFPs mask their real emotions. Maybe they act Elegant or whatever, but honestly, look past the mask of fake emotion, as I said, I think we're all pretty awkward :p. Not to offend any of you, these are just my random thoughts I needed to write out.

So anyways, I'm tall, awkward, especially in conversations. I can start up a conversation or be in one, but after a while, I can't make eye contact, I fiddle with my hands, I can't stand still, and I want to be elsewhere. People look at me like I have a problem, and, face it, I've heard some call me awkward.

Okay, so maybe this is all just me, but I'm curious; would you call yourself awkward? Or is just all in my head? Do you think you're elegant?(lol because I don't.)

Oh, and since I'm posting this, I mine as well say; wouldn't you say INFPs are paradoxes? I'm sure other people have said this before, but don't you think so? We have dark and good, evil and kind, dreams and dreadful reality? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I agree with you. I have no idea where the 'elegant' comes from. I am faaaaaar from that. I trip a lot, fall a lot, destroy pretty much everything I touch, my clothes always have holes and loose threads, I sit with my legs spread wide open...
'Elegant' often reminds me of the elves in TLOTR, and I see myself more like a Hobbit.

Maybe it has to do with our alleged mysteriousness. One thing I'm told over and over is that I'm mysterious and have an air of dignity. That's when I'm around people I don't know much, cause I keep quiet and observant and seem distant. But once people know me I'm a goofball. So I'm thinking the elegance has to do with appearing relaxed and serene in most situations.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Funny that this topic should come up. I once sarcastically described myself as "elegant" and one of my best friends all but died from laughter. She went at it so hard that there were tears streaming down her eyes. I didn't know whether to be offended or just highly amused. Years prior to that, the exact same friend openly exclaimed "You're so awkward!" at a friend's birthday party, all because the only moment I spoke up I excitedly brought up an esoteric subject.

I do not consider myself elegant in any sense of the word. I am a grade A klutz. I feel like I've only gotten more socially weird over the years, I sometimes cringe at how obliviously awkward I used to be with people when I was younger. I know how to keep up a conversation, but inside I am drowning in my awkwardness. Sometimes I contemplate doing things to the point where I don't end up doing it, in fear of an awkward outcome. It's silly, really. I've toned it down a lot as I've gotten older, but still I'm too all over the place to be considered as elegant; so yeah, I definitely do think INFPs are paradoxical.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think we may be awkward on the outside and in our manners, but most of it is sincere, "I just want to be with you and be interested in you and make you feel comfortable" stuff, which is definitely better than acting confident when you're not. The description could very well describe the elegance of out minds, not the NT elegance, but the idealism and dreaminess. Speaking of Tolkien, that writer made the most popular shining, high-level, noble fantasy works today, and if that's not elegant, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
In terms of physical mannerisms, I've been described pretty much (not exact words) as 'gracefully awkward', which I take as quite a compliment. I'm not sure I believe it, but hey.
I think what the friend in question meant is that I carry myself quite well, i.e. quite confidently and relaxed, I make eye contact and so on just fine, moreso than most people I know, but I am just as awkward as the rest of you when intense social...ness... strikes. I think I've got a lot more confident in being awkward than I used to be, which I like about myself. It is hard to explain.
If I just need to be quiet I think I can act elegantly. But then sometimes I'm just full-on quiet and awkward and can't be confident at all. And I am often quite clumsy.
So just like in everything else, I don't make sense. Of course I'm a paradox.

I do what I suppose you could call elegant (more like confident) in physical mannerisms fairly often (not to flatter myself), it's second-nature but it's learnt. But I am naturally awkward. So it is a mask.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
The thing with these online theories and such-like is that it was written by somebody with a certain set perception. I think that the description of "elegant" is probably and can be true when in comparison with other types and grouped as a whole. But that is a judgment view from the other people seeing an INFP person from the outside external worldview on a person who should also have their own internal worldview too. This is I don't "feel" I am elegant. I think the possible combination of keeping quiet, contemplating, and being diplomatic sometimes may appear to be elegant. But I wouldn't say I feel elegant very often. Only a handful of times in my life. :) Which was great cos it was in a romantic context and I do treasure those moments...

I did dress up once and I did feel quite elegant, but then the other guy reacted towards me and I was kinda shocked... I was actually in a hotel and I spoke in a more soft manner, cos my mind still had the conversation with another friend that I talked to that day, and maybe I was feeling romantic or whatever, but he became flustered and even upgraded my room. I was so happy and surprised. :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
How does one measure awkward? In awkward turtles?

If so - I have 95 awkward turtles out of 100. I am awkward dorkward.

I am very tall and stick out like a sore thumb. I don't like being in big crowds and will do my very best to worm my way out. Luckily I'm also slim for such wiggling purposes. I'm most comfortable being an observer - somewhere near the back where they sell the beer at the concert. (Unless its Bjork or Gaga or Florence).

Some people inexplicably make me nervous and it will be like I've forgotten how to speak, I will go quiet as a mouse. Whilst OTHER people - they bring out the extrovert in me and I won't even recognize myself. I can be such a wide range of different people, depending on how I bounce off of somebody.

With my gangly long awkward body I also have gangly long spider arms that specialize in knocking things over. I can be very socially intense one second to being the ditzy spider who knocked over the expensive bottle of ink next.

(However - I like to believe I am elegant whilst dancing to Florence + The Machine. I like to do Kate Bush hands and make long graceful moments ooh la la)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I am elegant to some degree in public (you should see me in my home clothes), have some elegant mannerisms, have an obsession to have my hair and make up done tastefully (do not know why - probably to feel better not to make others pay intention to me - that propensity "lets hide, but we still get noticed due to some weird obsession" should be psychoanalyzed), intense, gentle, klutzy-forgetful (sports make me puke from boredom unless it is gymnastics, athletics, swimming, and ice skating), warm, quirky, helpful, sarcastic, awkward, purposely act naïve, strict with people who piss me off, and sometimes I give "get away from me vibe." I am walking contradiction. What do you expect from INFP type 6? One of the reasons for all of this is that I easily notice peoples' body language, vibes, emotions, and intentions, easily get lost in my thoughts/feelings, and the "energy" of the environment around me affects my behavior. When I read descriptions about HSPs, I identify somewhat with those descriptions.

Reactions: jonkay1 and refugee

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I always think of myself as awkwardly elegant.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Sometimes I'm awkward, but other times I think I can be elegant too.

I think a big factor is timing and who you're interacting with. Depending on power dynamics, won't you sometimes end up feeling awkward or behaving elegantly?

For example:
Me in front of guys I'm not attracted too -- can act normal, even cool... er perhaps elegant?

Me in front of guys I find attractive -- all words that come out of my mouth make no freaking sense and I can't look at them in the face, hence awkward.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ooh I was just discussing this with my INFP friend the other day hahahas :D We were just admiring other people and so on and so forth and finally came to the conclusion that we COULD be elegant but we're much more comfortable being awkward anyways xD I mean I can dress up just fine but it's so annoying how I can only walk in a certain way if I wear a floor-length dress or something. Plus eye makeup is super annoying D: I find that certain elegant manner of interaction and everything rather tiring to pull off xD I'd rather just be making random comments here and there instead of working to restrain myself xD

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
When I dress up and make myself presentable, I get quite a few comments about being elegant. Not sure why though. I think it's the combination of my serene disposition and my sense for a clean, subtle fashion. That said, most of the time I dress like a hobo and have done so since the early days. Elegance is an attitude, you gotta be able to exude it as well.

Oh, and I'm probably the most awkward person you'll ever meet in real life :tongue:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Maybe we can be both. I think a lot of INFPs are kind of artsy, so the clothes we wear might make others think we're elegant. I love to wear beautiful, creative clothes and make-up. But I'm not the best in social situations. I often say things no one responds to, or don't know quite how to enter the conversation.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I feel awkward, socially. I have been told I look elegant though (quite recently called "regal" of all things) as far as appearance & "vibe".

I have an INFP e9w1 friend who I would say looks elegant too, but can be socially awkward in speech & actions too.

Sometimes the spacey, dreamy quality can add a "walking on clouds" effect that looks elegant to people. I can be rather clumsy & feel stiff, but unless someone sees me walking into those poles, they may see the stiffness as composed/controlled (which adds the aristocratic air I guess).

Think "Audrey Hepburn" for INFP elegance (she was INFP 9w1).

·
MOTM June 2012
9,449 Posts
Certain things I do elegantly, like walk into a room, hold a drink/cigarette, make a first impression. Certain things I do very awkwardly, like eating, lying down, and putting on my pants. My friend told me I walk like I'm either about to fight someone or seduce someone, although I trip over my own feet sometimes. I think it's probably 50/50 on the Elegant/Awkward scale.

·
Registered
INFP
1,287 Posts
Hmm it's funny because my sister once told me her friend thought I was really elegant and zen (the zen part may be related to my being a type 9?), but as soon as my sister told me she and my friend both started laughing real hard xD So I guess to people I don't know I may come off as elegant as much as I may seem mysterious, but evidently it is not so to those that actually know me u.u'...unfortunately??? Yep, definitely a paradox in the making.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I've been told I am regal and graceful, but those are more vibes than mannerisms. I am extremely clumsy and always a mess. I cannot pull off the polished look if I wanted to.

I am covered in bruises, scratches, tatters, and smudges. I am somewhat of a really old porcelain doll that's been put to good use. If that makes sense?

Whatever it is that I am, I think I make it work. lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.