Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know what I mean right? Say for example you are out with a person of the opposite sex or same sex and you really like them. The nights going good, you talked about this, laughed about that and suddenly that long awkward silence comes in. Now for me it's not at all awkward, but for some people they start doing that long soooooooo like I'm going to start up another topic. It's not that I don't have anything else to say, I can know a person well enough to spark their interest with something like "so what do you think about that new pop song on the radio?" But sometimes I just like to go into myself and enjoy being around the person that I am with. The downside to all of that is not coming off as interesting enough or uninterested, when it's totally not the case (at least . I just like to shut the hell up sometimes and look at the sky, sometimes I talk and look at the sky, hey that's me.

Is it awkward to you? Or do you find it golden?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I prefer if I can have eye or physical contact with the person, but even without that I can enjoy the silence. And if it drags for too long I can always dive into my own fantasies.

Reactions: refugee

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I don't believe in awkward silences. The only time silence is ever awkward is when the other person makes it so, like what you described. If I have something to say, I'll say it and if I don't, I'm perfectly content just being in their company. We have the rest of our lives to talk, why can't we just enjoy the moment, is how I feel.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I'm always really quiet in cars even with friends sometimes, I know it can seem awkward.
I love it. I need time to think and riding in a car soaking up everything it's just a perfect way,
I actually get kind of annoyed if i'm in a car with an over-talker xD

Sometimes Silences say so much more than words ever can.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i think at times there's so much that can be misunderstood in verbal communication. our differing interpretations of words and of what is the 'suitable' conversation for the moment can just push us further and further away.

and so sometimes sitting in silence with somebody feels like the only way to relate on an honest level, and in the right circumstances it's wayyyy romantic :tongue:

·
Registered
431 Posts
You know what I mean right? Say for example you are out with a person of the opposite sex or same sex and you really like them. The nights going good, you talked about this, laughed about that and suddenly that long awkward silence comes in. Now for me it's not at all awkward, but for some people they start doing that long soooooooo like I'm going to start up another topic. It's not that I don't have anything else to say, I can know a person well enough to spark their interest with something like "so what do you think about that new pop song on the radio?" But sometimes I just like to go into myself and enjoy being around the person that I am with. The downside to all of that is not coming off as interesting enough or uninterested, when it's totally not the case (at least . I just like to shut the hell up sometimes and look at the sky, sometimes I talk and look at the sky, hey that's me.

Is it awkward to you? Or do you find it golden?
I only think it's awkward when the other person feels like it is, you can tell when someone is uncomfortable in a silence and who isn't, and whenever I'm with someone who feels uncomfortable with it I just ask them questions I'd know they could talk on and on about. So silences aren't really awkward to me personally, but they can be if I ask a question I really want to know and the other person or persons don't respond back or keep the conversation going like I thought they would.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I don't like awkward silences; they're awkward! But I'm good at breaking them. A simple "so, has anyone watched any good movies lately?" can start a whole new wave of non-silence.

But if it's uncomfortable silence between two people, it's almost impossible to break!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i also hate awkward silences. I squirm in my seat when im in one because the tension i feel is overwhelming. I feel inadequate if i can't hold a conversation with someone and i feel like i'm doing the other person an injustice by making them uncomfortable. I would like to one day meet someone where i can just sit and feel each others souls rather than trying to communicate through language, which will almost never accurately describe how i'm feeling

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
When i am with 'mainstream' people I often run out of smalltalk in a hurry. I hate smalltalk. Its a chore to try and come up with a subject of discussion that has not been done to death yet.
On top of that, I simply often need my unwinding moments when i dont need to say anything.
Its hardest with my mother. I was adopted and obviously quite different from her. I think our profiles are just about the exact opposite. So whenever I am quiet, and I am quiet a lot, she thinks I am moody or grumpy or depressed.

I have a knack for finding like-minded people as friends, always have. And with them either talking incessantly or sitting in silence is never a problem. There is never any awkwardness. And its the same with my girl. We connect on a level where we don't need that many words.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,336 Posts
I feel awkward when it's someone I just met, but it's fine when it's between me and my boyfriend or friends.
"True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable."

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I experienced the most beautiful silence tonight while skyping with a friend. We agreed beforehand that silence was often useful for introspection, so when it happened, we were both open to it. In this case, some kind of relaxed, fully authentic, fully connected state occurred during the silence because neither of us was anxiously trying to prevent it or wondering if the other was bored/insecure because of it. We were just feeling, thinking, being, observing, and experiencing. It was so nice.

What is the point in continuing to speak when I don't have anything meaningful to express, or when I am feeling too much to wrap distracting words around? Talking for the sake of making noise is overrated, and is probably a symptom of a cultural bias against introverted intuitives.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Silence can be golden, or awkward, depending on the other person. I like silence, and have often thought (but not said), 'Would silence bother you?' when I'm with someone I don't really like who talks incessantly about nothing. My special one sometimes talks on and on, but I love the sound of her voice, and she is REALLY funny in ways that can take me by surprise. I do wish she would appreciate silence, though, and all it can mean. She seems to get bored with silence, and it doesn't mean the same things to her as it does to me.

*shouts* I LOVE SILENCE!!:proud:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think if you end the previous conversation in a good way you are afforded some silence. It's like a point system sorta thing. I always either exit conversations feeling bad that I screwed it up or really good because I feel it improved my relationship with that person.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts