Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is an INFP thing or not, but I am terrible at flirting. It's like I missed some type of social que growing up.:unsure: Lots of people do it and it seems like the most normal thing in the world, but I have no idea how to flirt. I get it may be a weird question, but I feel comfortable asking it to a bunch of strangers whom I'm sure I have a lot in common with. Please share if you have any tips!:kitteh:.. I love these things lol

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
I'm still quite young and I too am not so suave with it.
My understanding is that flirting for some tends to be subtle hints, the way its said or the particular words give off the vibe that you're interested but it's not straight out saying I want to sleep with you.
It's just playful banter, dancing around the topic, though for some people I think they want to be a bit more explicit.
They want to hear you say boldly the things you'd like to do to them.

Point is to just have fun and bounce off one another.
I'm sure the more experienced people on here will come out with more insight :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The best tip? Just relax. All the nervousness masks what you're actually trying to convey. Hard to be yourself when you're second guessing every move.

Don't overthink it. Flirting's just...flirting, you know? It's not like you're being asked to perform some differential equations on the spot, perfectly.

There's no magic formula. You WANT to be yourself and not act in a way you think you "should". When your flirting naturally resonates with someone, good things happen.

Guess how you get better at flirting: practice. Try it out in text/chat/IM/whatever. Once you get comfortable with that, transitioning to a face to face situation isn't a huge push.

·
Banned
710 Posts
I totally agree that you shouldn't have to try to act a certain way to "flirt", or even try to "flirt". To be honest I would say I'm pretty good at it, but I never realized what I was doing came across as "flirting" until a friend pointed that out. I find that around girls whom I have decent chemistry with, I just find I will naturally have the motivation to be really warm and playful, etc...

Other than that, for specific things I guess yeah, just relax, and as with anything eye contact is super important. It helps you connect, and besides that, if you aren't making eye contact its really hard to get a read on what the other person is thinking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For me, flirting has never been intentional. It just comes naturally when I'm around someone I'm developing feelings for and usually I don't recognize the subtle changes in my behavior unless someone else blatantly points them out to me. I'm not even sure what my brand of flirting actually involves....I guess maybe more than usual banter, teasing, physical affection, laughter. But all these things are part of my personality anyways, so even if I'm invoking them more to show my interest in a guy, it just feels smoothly right.

I guess this is to say I can't help you much, because I'm sure if I were to actually TRY flirting with someone, it would feel forced and rusty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts