Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many bands/artists have hit songs that we all know about, but also have equally good, sometimes even better songs that are less well known. So, please share with us the songs we might not know about from the bands/artists you like.

I became a pretty obsessive Muse fan in my teens, so I’ll start with a couple of my favourite B-sides of theirs. First, one of their early ones:

And now for something completely different, but by the same band: this is the B-side to Supermassive Black Hole. I think this is a better song than the single it came from and would’ve done well as a single in its own right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The single and EP being dead formats, I can only hark back to bands of the distant past...when one of the tests of a transcendent band/artist was how they used these formats.
(I use the '50s,'60s term "EP" to refer to three- or four-track CD singles...because they served the same purpose).

There's no need to re-tell the stories of the acknowledged great "b-side bands" like The Fall, The Smiths, The Cure, and that other band which I've said too much about on these pages.

But recently I re-immersed myself in one of the great bands of the '80s and '90s, who have not so much been underrated as completely forgotten about - All About Eve.

How great were their b-sides? Check these out
3. start at 4.13 for this,
There are others - e.g: what a pity that falsetto-delight "Dive In" isn't on YouTube...

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Such a necessary thread. I often prefer covers, unreleased tracks, demos, etc... maybe because they don't get overplayed on the radio, lol.

Garbage has a ton of bsides that some fans want released officially. These are some of my favorites:

Everyone knows Katy Perry, how many people knew this existed?

·
Banned
1,843 Posts

They started as an 80s synth band and later became one of the founders of post-rock. This B-Side sounds very similar to "Heart Of Gold" by Neil Young.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts